1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hartlepool Bye Election

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by cumbrianmackem, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Just looked that article up and its quite interesting. Some of their policies were quite a good idea. Its just that element of the Labour Party, and their attitude and approach, are like overly idealistic A Level students. Its immature and naive but at the same time arrogant and condescending.

2. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

Hard to believe they could be that stupid.

Selecting an NHS doctor as a candidate amid the Covid crisis seemed like the perfect remedy to Labour's red wall blues. But first Williams had to apologise for sexist social media posts from a decade ago. Then, the Conservatives accused him of playing a part in decisions that removed services from Hartlepool's hospital, though he pointed to his recent efforts to bring them back.

But the means by which Williams was picked has given critics of Starmer's office added ammunition. Williams was chosen from a one-person shortlist. He campaigned for Remain in the referendum and lost in a nearby seat in the last general election.

Several Labour MPs - from different wings of the party - are blaming Starmer's political secretary, Baroness Chapman, for the decision. One told us: "He is her mate but putting him in was a mind boggling decision since Hartlepool is the centre of Planet Brexit."

3. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

He could often be found in the Pub at the end of Fawcet St as I recall.

Sundertland legend if you came from Hendon.

If anybody is interseted in the so called 'good old days', try this

Boxing Nostalgia: The Good, the Bad and the Weird: Cauliflower Famine

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

Slightly different take on the Hartlepool result but did you notice the result of the Tees Valley mayoral election with Ben Houchen getting 73% of the vote? The lad has been doing a cracking job for the region, fighting their corner and crucially getting things done - I don't think that anybody cares that he is a Tory, he is doing great things for the region after decades of neglect.

To my mind such positivity is bound to impact on voters and it is not overly surprising that not only has the Hartlepool constituency gone Tory but so has the PCC, with the Tories winning that from Labour. I think that people are looking locally rather than nationally and the Tories have got a good tale to tell in Teesside.

Labour historically parachuted the likes of Mandleson in who had no interest at all in their constituents and relied on the inertia of the voters who would vote red regardless. That has changed now and if Labour want to start winning back the red wall they will have to start actually doing something for their constituents rather than simply heading down to London and ignoring them.

5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Well said that man:emoticon-0148-yes:

6. vinkel

vinkel Well-Known Member

I have had phone calls door knockers and leaflets , never been like this in my neighbourhood for many years. Shows they have been ****ting themselves.

rb92 and Makemstine Roger like this.
  7. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Its also honest, no room for that.

8. polyphemus

polyphemus Well-Known Member

You may be right, but being right may not be enough.

I suspect that 'the man in the street' remains highly suspicious of the extemists and to some extent the racists, in the party.

As long as they are tainted by them they will have an uphill battle.

As I recall the last time The Labour Party faced a similar problem was when Michael Foot was Leader and got hammered in the 1983 election due in no small part to the Militant Tendency ultra left.
    Neil Kinnock had the task of ridding the party of this disruptive mob, and he seemed to suceed, eventualy, though Tony Blair was the one to benefit.

For the sake of democracy I hope it doesn't take as long this time.

The Exile II, rb92 and The Norton Cat like this.
  9. The Norton Cat

They're a bit too reliant on propaganda and painting anyone that disagrees with them as 'neo-conservatives' or other such things, even if its members of their own party, for me to agree with that.

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  10. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

11. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Listening to why people voted Tory makes me fear for the human race. Most saying they voted Tory for change despite the Tories destroying the nation for the past eleven years in government.

12. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Best one yet on LBC news. One bloke said he voted Tory because they have given the town 9 food banks and there was none when Labour were in government.

13. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

<doh> ffs

Sunderpitt likes this.
  14. rooch 3

When labour were last in government did they not still send them to the work house :emoticon-0136-giggl

15. The Norton Cat

Hmm. I understand what you're saying to some extent, but foodbanks have increased across continental Europe since the 2008 economic crisis. Just as much as the Conservative Party and their austerity measures are to blame for the rise in food banks, the factors that led to the 2008 crisis and the subsequent need for austerity (which hasn't just been implemented here) are equally to blame.

Dorset likes this.
  16. rooch 3

So there :emoticon-0173-middl

17. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

20210116_113831.png

18. The Norton Cat

Ha. Just trying to present a balanced view. I find people's need to villainise politicians in this way rather strange. And childish, like the cartoon above which takes Rees-Mogg's comments out of context and conveniently ignores the fact that food banks existed in this country for 10 years before the Conservatives came to power.

19. DH4

DH4 Well-Known Member

What context was his comment that "Foodbanks are really rather uplifting" made in? Please enlighten us mere mortals.

20. Deletion Requested1

Deletion Requested1 Well-Known Member

Heard Rees Mogg was "brought up at Eton" - looks to me like he was eaten and brought up <laugh>

MrRAWhite, rooch 3 and DH4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.