1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Here’s your £35 million, sincerely Mr Ashley

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco, Aug 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco

2. Magpie Fozz

Magpie Fozz Well-Known Member

Now that's a stat to be proud of.

Also, interesting read, thanks for the link.

3. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

Very informative article, doubt it'll be listened to at all by those calling for Ashley's head though.

4. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

If he hadn't sold our best players we wouldn't have gone down

5. Magpie Fozz

Magpie Fozz Well-Known Member

Well that's wrong, no players were being sold back then. We just had a load of money grabbing underperformers in the team who couldn't be bothered to put in a good performance week in week out. Plus having a different manager every two weeks didn't help either.

6. Cal.

Cal. Active Member

I'd say that we would have stayed up if Given didn't leave in January, he was surely worth at least one point. But I'm glad we got relegated in sense, helped clear out most of the mercenaries and some of the deadwood.

7. Heed

Heed well known cheat

I dont have much time for Ashley, but article seems to make some sense. Time will tell on that one.

It wasn't selling players that sent us down, it was lack of effort from some of the mercanaries on the pitch that season along with changing managers every other week.

8. I don't think and have never thought it was Ashley's fault that we got relegated but he's nothing to do with our success. It's all been down to the hard work from Hughton and the players and recently Pardew.

Arguing about things like this never ends in anyone agreeing just flame wars.

9. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

I don't buy into the stuff about Ashley buying the club when it was in a terrible position financially; he went on to give contracts to Geremi, Butt, Viduka, Smith and loads more, the problem was as much his creation as the previous regime's. He then went on to continually chop and change managers, disillusion and insult fans and interfere with the way the first team was run. He also lost us sponsorship with Adidas, and Northern Rock are paying us peanuts because no one wants to be associated with him. Then there's the loss of TV revenue and prize money from poor results. The gate receipts are down as well as merchandise sales because no one wants to give him money.

The article says we owe him £111m, that would be a lot less if he'd actually paid for all the SportsDirect advertising he's splashed all over our stadium while posting record profits. He's made a ****ing hash of running this club both on and off the field. I know he hasn't made a profit out of the club, but it's through his own **** management more than anything else. He's a retard.

10. The Secret Ingredient

The Secret Ingredient Well-Known Member

very interesting read

11. The Deluded Pablo Diego Jose Francisco

Retard! <doh>

12. rabit71

rabit71 Member

Bases most of the guesswork on last season's finances around having similar turnover to 08/09, but seems to have overlooked the new tv deal coming in last season meaning income would be significantly greater than in 08/09.

The issue with "the 35million" is not mike ashley taking it as a loan repayment, that's his right as the owner and we do owe him a lot of money (130mill ish), it isnt even about him not spending it (i like being thrifty and getting decent players like cabaye for cheap), but the lying about it saying it will be invested in the team, i mean club, i mean facilities, i mean whatever spin pardew will spout next that really grinds on me.

But of course, the writer is also forgetting that free transfers are expensive, so we have already been told where the 35million has gone.

13. rabit71

rabit71 Member

So good it posted twice

14. Minty Fresh

Minty Fresh Active Member

We lost Milner at the start of the season as well and he was quite a key player.

Imagine if we did still have Given. That'd be one big goalkeeping conundrum.

15. cally8793

cally8793 Member

Where's it been said SD didn't pay for it? I was always under the assumption they did, especially as Ashley doesn't have 100% control

16. rabit71

rabit71 Member

When they first started doing it llambias said something along the lines of it was to show potential investors what spaces could be used

17. goldie

goldie Well-Known Member

I would still argue 234 million including the 100 million debt was cheap for a club that at the time were european regulars

18. P.T.N

P.T.N Active Member

One of the best things that could have happened to us! And I really enjoyed our Championship season. I managed to get to alot more games, especially some away games, which were brilliant.

19. NufcBano

NufcBano Active Member

So we have to read through 3 pages to be told the same information a lot of us have already seen, as this info has been around for ages.

If anyone is in any doubts or isnt sure what we did financially last season, heres a ball park figure without going into massive detail. Looking at all of the previous years financial records of what we earn, what we spend, you can pretty much estimate last season looked like this:

We usually recieve £90mil in turnover as a Premier league club. Sky deal went up £10m as of last season, so we made around £100mil in turnover.

Our operating costs are in around the £20 - £25mil mark, looking at out history.

Our wage bill last season, looking at the Championship year then adding to it, is around the £60mil mark.

So with some confidence you can say NUFC as a company had the very simple basic statement of:

Turnover £100m - Op Costs £20 -£25m - Wage Bill - £60mil = Profit of £15/£20 million.

And all of the above doesn't include Transfer fees made and spent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.