1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hire Ken Way

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Brian Storm, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Been plaguing the club daily on Twitter to hire his company.

The tried it the other way and got a like.

please log in to view this image

Ken Way is a professional psychologist who helps/motivates sports teams and business companies improve performance. He's very successful and worked with a lot off big names, the main being he worked with Leicester from the run up to their promotion to the title season only being sacked in the days leading up to the first game of the season. Ranieri came in and left everything his first season, but made changes for his second and didn't believe in sports psychology, having sacking off similar infrastructure at another club. Few links in regards to Ken at the end.

But do you believe it? Do you think clubs can benefit or are you more skeptical like Ranieri? Do you think we could benefit or at least worth a try? He wouldn't come cheap like.

http://www.visionsports.co.uk/WELCOMETOVISIONSPORTS.aspx
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...champions-leicester-lost-way-sense-direction/

The Norton Cat likes this.
  2. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I definitely think clubs benefit from it. I know Ronnie O'Sullivan credits a lot of his success over recent years to the bloke that works with him, Steve Peters or something. They have a genuine effect on sportspeople I believe because so much of the game is in their heads.

I think Grayson has a touch of the psychologist about him, he seems to know how to handle players and get them in a winning frame of mind. I know we haven't seen it with us yet but it is a big job he's got.

Brian Storm likes this.
  3. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

This is definitely the way forward. Using a variety of approaches to get the best out of players definitely reaps rewards. I was talking about Saracens on the Khazri thread- they do all sorts of things to give them an edge, from bring wolves to training to studying ancient philosophy. Some of these make for interesting reading-
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/acti...are-turning-to-Aristotle-for-inspiration.html
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/27536258
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...mmicks-there-is-a-message-to-all-he-does.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-un...racens-recruitment-means-will-imposing-force/
    https://www.allegisglobalsolutions....g-saracens-lead-to-talent-acquisition-success

Brian Storm likes this.
  4. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Maybe the only way pardon the pun to get Short to buy into this guy is to tell him he can score goals as well so we can sign him on a free transfer...

Would be interested in his take on players that we have bought such as Adam Johnson, Fletcher, Rodwell etc that would have appeared good buys turn into sh*t and have cost the club a fortune. Is it the payers mentality or is it something toxic at the club? Also, why has the same happened the same with the managers? Martin O'Neil for example....interesting to say the least.

Brian Storm likes this.
  5. red&white wanderer

red&white wanderer Well-Known Member

I think BSA follows a similar regime with his scientific data analysis of his players stats - workrate etc and I'm all for this. We need to make players put in the hard work in training and on the pitch - plus have them buy in to the Sunderland and how lucky they are to play for such passionate loyal fans and at a club with state of the arts facilities . My thoughts.

Brian Storm likes this.
  6. Brian Storm

Sam is Sports Science. This bloke is Sports and Business Psychology.

red&white wanderer likes this.
  7. Brian Storm

I think it couldn't do any harm. The Commercial side of the Business is ****ed too, he'll help with that too.

8. red&white wanderer

Yeah but both still go to motivate and focus the players just different sides of the same knife. But we agree that a different approach is needed

9. Brian Storm

Well one is about physical condition and fitness the other is confidence, about team spirit, trust and bonding. Not really the same thing but i'm sure they'd work together very well.

10. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

Psychology comes into both sports and team dynamics in a massive way.

Good man managers can manage player's psyche's easy enough but there aren't all that many proper man managers around.

11. red&white wanderer

That's what I mean they work together to produce focussed motivated people - unfortunately we also need guaranteed success - that's the hard part <doh>

12. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

And the successful integration of both on a team would reap the rewards no end.

It's clear we've got a mental problem, the starting 11 we have out every week should be top 6 as an absolute minimum.

Brian Storm and Disco down under like this.
  13. Brian Storm

Sport's science is in now anyway, all the data collection bibs Sam was famous for are now standard at our level, most of his practices are common place now. Just Sam went that extra streatch of cold tanks and stuff like that, but they have their negatives as well as positives so I'm not too fussed about it, but I agree, somebody from Psychology can get them making better use of the data so agree.

14. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

These players need a good kick up the arse, and be made to watch the great british bake off for 5 hours a day, that will cure them.