1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hodgson needs to go

Discussion in 'England' started by cjuliennech1, Jun 25, 2012.

1. cjuliennech1

cjuliennech1 Member

Some will say that its unfair to give him such a short space of time in the job but i didn't think that he was the right candidate in the 1st place and after that tournament it has been confirmed. He is very set in his ways and in doing do looks very old school, he does not know how to change a situation during a match, against the big teams you are destined to park the bus and hope for a lucky goal or a set piece. In all honesty it's pathetic and you got what you deserved against an Italian side that has done better than i expected but is by no means setting the tournament alight.

You still have time to bring in another manager before the next qualifying campaign and harry redknapp for me would be the right choice, he plays open expansive attacking football which will ought to excite you english fans. You are going through a transition period but with players like welbeck and oxo and when wilshere gets fit maybe you do have some hope but you do need to change your manager asap.

2. Simon21-LUFC

Simon21-LUFC Well-Known Member

He doesn't know how to change the situation during a match... apart from when he put Walcott on against Sweden and he scored one and set one up. Roy's the man for the job, if you seriously think out in penalties in the quarters was a bad result you're deluded.

3. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

You can't blame Hodgson that English players can't play football, you have to blame the youth team coaches

4. theHotHead

theHotHead New Member

And therein lies the problem.

5. MAJR

MAJR Well-Known Member

So...your criticism of Hodgson is that he has no tactical awareness and your solution is to remove him in favor of Redknapp - a manager who admits himself that he doesn't do tactics and one who is notoriously bad at squad rotation and making substitutions at a period when they could effect the game. Odd.

6. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

You cannot blame Hodgson,a short time in the job,and what does he have at his disposal
    a bunch of third raters at best.
    and as far as cjuliennech1 comments are concerned utterly pathetic.

7. Bzzz

Bzzz Active Member

Lets let him build his team during the qualifications and see where that gets us...

8. sweet fa

sweet fa Member

If Hodgson went who would you replace him with? How many different managers need to not get past the quarter finals before people wake up and realise its not the managers' faults? We dont have an Ozil, we dont have a Pirlo, we dont have a Ribery, we dont have a Ronaldo. The one player we have who is even close to being considered in that sort of bracket is rooney and he is hyped up to unimaginable levels then crucified when he doesnt reach the unrealistic levels expected of him.

England's players cannot, cannot, keep hold of a football for any amount of time to take pressure off themselves. They just cant. In every game they played they gave it away cheaply, easily and frankly poorly time after time after time after time. Hoof after hoof, every attempt at imagination failed, and when they needed to hold onto leads they were, to be perfectly honest, a bit lucky that opponents were wasteful. They defended extremely well throughout but they had to defend a darnsite more than they should have needed to for the simple reason that they couldnt retain posession.

That isnt Hodgson's fault. And it isnt the players' fault. Its the fault of the system that produced them all. They are all very very good players, but they lack the TECHNICAL ability to compete with the best teams at the highest level. Belief, effort (of which there was plenty) and excellent team spirit (credit to hodgson) will take you so far, but it wont beat the best.

9. RAVENBLACK

RAVENBLACK Well-Known Member

The problem is obvious for England. Their players are very poor but look good when their domestic teams are flooded with very talented foreign players.

England were lucky to get out of the group. Just accept the fact you are very poor. Youth does not get a chance in England because money talks!!

10. TheBallWinner

TheBallWinner Member

Kinda expected this to follow seeing as what he did at this tourny wasn't majorly impressive. I think he should be given the WC Qual's t least but we'll see some more 3-2's and 1-0's in my opinion.

11. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

To be perfectly honest, this tournament has exceeded my expectations. Hodgson has done very well - had Ashley Young's penalty been two inches lower, who knows what might have happened. To achieve so much in a short space of time is good, and this tournament was, in all honesty, written off by most beforehand. Remember that?

Personally, I would have brought on Walcott for Welbeck and told Milner to follow Pirlo everywhere he went to prevent him from having so much time on the ball and to offer some relief to the visibly knackered Gerrard and Parker, but that may have resulted in an even worse performance. Also, I would have thrown on Baines in the last few minutes, rather than Henderson, due to his ability from the penalty spot.

We do have some technically good players coming through. The likes of Wilshere, Rodwell, Barkley, Chamberlain and Cleverly are all good footballers. Southampton have a few top prospects like Luke Shaw and James Ward-Prowse, players who will probably come to the fore in the next few years or so. Nick Powell is another technical footballer. There are also technical players like Adam Lallana and Leon Osman who have played very well recently (although Lallana is obviously unproven at the top) who could potentially be utilised as good squad players in the next few years.

12. RAVENBLACK

Had Ukraine scored after dominating the first half who knows what might have happened?

13. sweet fa

sweet fa Member

Had Ashley Young's penatly been a few inches lower, England would, in all likelihood, have still found a way to lose that shoot out.

If, however, they had won, I would have gone to the cinema at 7:45 on Thursday. Honestly, seriously, we couldnt keep the ball against Ukraine...... What the hell would Germany have done to us?!?!

14. Lenny

Lenny Well-Known Member

Not really the same though, Penalties are more of a lottery which was what I was trying to refer to.

This! I am almost glad we went out now rather than being smashed 6-0 by the Germans!

15. RAVENBLACK

True, but if you make precious little effort to win a game then those are the chances you take. Poor against France, Sweden and Ukraine.

16. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I agree he was the wrong choice in someways. Clearly with Hodgson, the FA were excited about working with him in more than just England first team matters, almost like they saw him as more of a Technical Director.

As I've said before, there's no pride in grinding out results and getting knocked out in the quarter finals. We weren't going to win it and there was no great expectation so the time was ideal to begin the process of changing our play for the better. Instead the tactics were negative and frustrating, even when playing teams who weren't considered better than us and the same old problems of big players underperforming but being undroppable came back again. There was really not much to look back on with any optimism. Sure we can defend, we already knew this, and Joe Hart is a terrific asset but again that's nothing new.

17. chelsea - over 100 years of history

Great point.

Can't stand this 'they done us proud' nonsense. We were negative in every single game (can accept it against a Spain etc but we didn't play anyone we shouldn't have been able to compete with and Sweden/Ukraine are average at best).

I don't blame Roy for Rooney and Young being dog **** or for the injuries to the likes of Wilshire / Lampard / Cahill etc that may have given him more options but I do blame him for negative tactics and for playing a rigid and outdated 442 formation.

We looked alright for half an hour yesterday but being a man down in midfield to a team who pass a hell of a lot better than us meant the midfield (consisting of ageing Parker and Gerrald) were worn down over the 120 minutes and then couldn't support the attack in the few oocassions they did occur from the 2nd half onwards. He also failed to do anything about Pirlo running the show. Maybe Rooney was meant to be picking him up but he was as useless coming back as he was going forward. Lost count the amount of times him and Young gave the ball away; are these really the same 2 players who have torn up the P.L in recent seasons?

What can we take from this tournament? Well the likes of Cole, Terry and Gerrard are still our best players and will be 2 years older in Brazil (assuming we make it) i.e we are ****ed unless some proper talent comes through and soon. We have a lot of good players but a real lack of technical ability.

18. sweet fa

sweet fa Member

I have to confess this confuses me - the lack of technical ability is precisely the reason people arent blaming the players or the manager to such a large extent.

I must say I am one of those who honestly doesnt see England as having the players to compete with the top teams. Sure we have players who in the premier league, when surrounded by gifted foreign technicians, can play an important role for top teams. But in a team competing in a tournament somebody has to pull the strings in the middle. Gerrard and Parker are troopers, but in reality neither would hold their own in the 'technical ability' section of the top trumps card. It could have been a different story if WIlshere and Cleverley were available and match fit, but all in all, I really dont see many England players who can pass and move their way out of danger. We have many very very good players - but none of them are in the Pirlo mould.

Early on yesterday England played some very good football. but as soon as the Italians started pressuring them high up the pitch and closing the gaps, we were totally incapable of playing our way out of danger. I just dont see that being the maangers' fault. The players have been brought up on fast paced, electric, end to end football and have not been taught the art of ball retention and possession football from a young age. Doesnt matter who the manager is, itll take a generation to sort out and until then we wont be able to compete with the top teams without parking the bus and defending for our lives (which, admittedly, they did very well)

19. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Hilarious.

We have done the best we could. Hodgson got the best he could out of an average set of players. The only way to do that was to play negative and try to grind our way through. Certainly preferable to trying to play some continental style which requires players who can actually retain the ball. We simply don't have those players so you play to your strengths. The sooner people accept we're not good enough the better. Thankfully Brooking already has and is trying to do something about it. We're stuck like this for another 5-10 years yet.

We can now look forward hopefully with Hodgson in charge who has proved himself a very capable manager. Provided he now moves the squad on to look to our younger talent like ox, wiltshire, cleverley etc who look to have a greater technical ability than players we've produced previously. I still think we'll struggle with the top sides but its a step in the right direction.

20. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

Scholes. But we ****ed him off.