1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Home Park

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by AWAY IN BC, Sep 26, 2015.

1. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

After watching several of Argyle's home game's on the Argyle Web Site I must say that the pitch looks fantastic..
    The Bristol game with over 10000 looked and sounded very good.
    It seems like that this years Team is far better than last year being near the top..

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Considering the pitch cost us virtually nothing it's great BC. It was I believe around £750k worth done of course just before we went South financially. I doubt the people who put it down would be very willing to do anything else for the club given they were actually paid for less than a square inch.

They have to water it every game now just before kick off whatever the weather has been doing. It drains so well and so fast it gets dryer than the Gobi Desert. It is like a bowling green though and any bare patch recovers very quickly. In the bad old days it was like a ploughed field come Christmas. The atmosphere is never that bad in the ground these days. A couple of seasons ago I couldn't have said that but then again we lost more at home than we ever won and the football was awful. At least it's a much better watch now and we win a lot more. The ground itself badly needs finishing though. I can't see Brent doing it somehow and if he does it will be a botch up and not what we need. I think on balance I'd rather he left well alone and let the next incumbent have a bash.

3. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

Do you think that the crowd numbers will increase if they maintain the on field improvement.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1. I haven't looked up the average gates this season at home but imagine they aren't bad already. Probably more to do with who we have played so far rather than league position. Pompey and Bristol Rovers were always going to be good gates. However, I do think league position puts numbers on the gate for us. That's sort of historical for Plymouth as the locals always come out to play if a promotion looks likely. Mind you it soon drops off again if we aren't maintaining it. If you can put an extra 2000 on the gate each home match then that's about £30k a match extra which is a lot of brass over a season. Mind you that would be an average of at least 9000 a game and it would need to be quite a season for that to happen. I do think over 8000 is feasible though which would be ok if not spectacular. You have to remember we are already in the top 5 gate number wise.