1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How disappointing was that !

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Fulham COYW, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

We will not get many chances to get 3 points away and against bottom of the league Blackburn, with 10 men for most of the match, that is points down the drain.

Sounds like we had plenty of chances and a Dempsey goal ruled incorrectly offside (haven't seen it yet) but that result today is so disappointing, to say the least.

2. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Agreed. Disappointing especially after a relatively successful Xmas period. And we'd just gotten rid of the gloomy atmosphere around here as well! Oh well, best thing to do is look forward to the Newcastle game.

3. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Bidley you seem like an eternal optimist. Today was a shambles, I know sometimes teams who go down to 10 men play better and become more compact, but we were awful when it was 11 vs 11 nevermind when we had a man extra. Struggling to name a player who came out of today with any sort of credit. Haven't felt this dejected after a defeat since West Ham at home last year. Maybe this result will convince Fayed that we need to spend in January.

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Maybe this was all part of Jol's plan - have a stinker early in the transfer window to get some transfer cash released. This was his first chance to do that without jeapodising our cup run. Conspiracy theorists, form an orderly queue behind me and Bandy.

5. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to deprive anyone of their chance to wallow in today's defeat - it was poor, very poor. I'm just saying we should look forward.

6. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

Agreed that we should look forward, but we cannot ignore what has happened today. To fail to get even a point from the team bottom of the league, without their best player and without their second best player for most of the match is horrendous.

7. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

It sums our season up - we sparkle against the bigger clubs in defiance of the odds, then stumble against the teams we should be beating.

8. roscafre

roscafre Active Member

We vall seem to get very optimistic,after a few results.
    But lets face it on this form we are relegation candidates

9. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Does this 'form' include the wins over Charlton and Arsenal and the draws at Chelsea and Norwich? Because that's not bad, as 'form' goes.

10. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Tempting Captain. Think I'll join Fulham COYW and Bidley's disappointed queue though.

Poor tactics by Jol again. Sat back in midfield; no width;didn't push full backs forward when they were down to 10 men. Okay brought on AJ for Riise with 20 minutes to go but as with a lot of Jol's tactics that didn't address the problem of how to break down a packed defence - I repeat no width .

The only word to sum up this performance is complacent . The players must surely take the brunt but the big finger gets pointed at the manager today.

11. Cheetahyz

Cheetahyz Member

Sometimes I laugh at how fickle fans of Arsenal, Man U etc are. If a team like that drops a point or two their fans start screaming about "crisis" etc immediately. Nevermind that they've won almost every other match of the season and are ALWAYS in the top 4.

However, I do think today that if Fulham fans used the word "crisis," it might be appropriate. Losing 3-1 to a struggling team who had their only goal scorer/miracle worker red carded is inexcusable. Fulham needed these 3 points no matter if there were 10 or 11 men or if it was home or away or whatever, it doesn't matter. Blackburn is in our "mini-league" and we should've taken these 3 points no matter what the situation. The fact we lost the 3 points to a team down a man for over 70 minutes reeks of crisis.

I do not think we are on the verge of another relegation battle ... yet. But does any Fulham fan want to go through that again? We're sliding ever closer that direction. Instead of sitting politely at the lower end of mid-table hoping that we don't slide into a relegation battle, we should be winning games like today and fighting for a return to Europe next season.

I'm f****** pissed off. Who wants to join me. Misery needs the company.

COYeffingW!

12. Cheetahyz

Cheetahyz Member

To be more blunt, this is bullsh*t.

13. Bidley

Bidley Well-Known Member

Crisis? Deary me.

14. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

What did everyone make of Jol's decision to sub on and sub off Frei?

15. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

I don't think we have a crisis on our hands. I for one am more confident that Jol can turn things around than I was with Hughes after the West Ham game. This is only one game at the end of the day, yes we were awful today, yes we should have won with 11 men, yes maybe Jol got things wrong today but if we win next week then this will all be forgotten.

16. FFC4L

FFC4L Member

There is one reason and one reason only for us losing. Martin Jol brought on Frei for Dembele. Thereby losing all midfield industry. Dembele was playing a central role. Sidders should have come on.

17. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

I agree that the substitution seemed confusing, maybe he though Sidwell was too defensive minded?

18. FFC_Madness

FFC_Madness Well-Known Member

Don't know what to say. Think is combination of Jol and players. Sidwell should have started for me. Disappointment all over. Not pessimistic but we seem to gift points when we need them more!

19. FFC4L

FFC4L Member

With Ruiz, Dempsey, Duff and Zamora on the pitch you need balance. Dembele does a terrific job acting as that balance in that particular system. Dempsey or Ruiz were never going to offer that back up to Murphy. Sidwell would have been industrious and would have linked play together. Really frustrated that Jol couldn't see that.

20. Bandit

Bandit Active Member

I think we can all agree that Jol got it wrong today. Sidwell, especially after scoring against Arsenal should have played alongside Murphy. When Dembele went off, Sidwell and not Frei should have come on. Frei is better used as an impact sub. Johnson should also have been brought on far sooner than he was, but I guess substitutions are something Jol is reluctant to change.