1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How does everyone feel about Warburton now?

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by awjm, Mar 6, 2021.

1. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Would’ve thought about changing manager during our poor run of results, but jan transfers & a change of formation has changed my mind about him, playing with more confidence lately apart those two silly defeats which shouldn’t have happened, he must have been very close to getting tin tack during that time, as long as we keep the majority of this side & improve it I’m quite happy for Warbs to continue, can’t see much better out there at present who would come here with financial state, although it’s getting better

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    awjm and bobmid like this.
  2. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

We gave a style of play which can be both competitive and very attractive to watch.

We gave a business model, which although it may be slightly frustrating, is clearly sustainable.

We are developing a reputation for developing young players.

We as a club, are making progress.

I am pleased with Mark Warburton and hope that we will keep him to finish our transformation project.

mr_floyd, QPR999, awjm and 4 others like this.
  3. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Seems a strange thread to start within an hour of what I thought was our best performance of the season.

4. Ciarrai_Abu

Ciarrai_Abu Well-Known Member

Right man at the right time for us. Hard to make a silk purse when the budget provides only for a sow’s ear.
    Believes in playing the game in the right way which is a big plus.

mr_floyd, QPR999, QPRski and 6 others like this.
  5. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

It's a good opening question. At times it's been unpredictable and exciting to watch. Goals galore and the ability to beat anyone. Other times it's become increasingly predictable and peeking through your fingers. Suppose that's football. The one thing I have noticed is that our better and most exciting times under Warburton have coincided with the use of loan players. Its happened again this season. To me, talk of progression is slightly premature. We spent money on 2 strikers that have had to be replaced by a loan (austin). Midfielders that have (yesterday) had to be replaced by loans (field & johanson). Its taken an injury or a read of social media to realise that captain marvel really is an imposter. I like Warburton, he says the right words and his hands are tied to an extent but take away these loan players, who are basically in a shop window for their last pay day then the team/squad is still looking pretty average at best.

SW Ranger, awjm, rangercol and 2 others like this.
  6. Frome-Ranger

Frome-Ranger Well-Known Member

I think Field and De Wijs are both loans with a view to permanent deals and Johansen has suggested the club want to keep him, so maybe there's a good chance with those 3. Johansen maybe dependent on whether Fulham get relegated though.

No idea about Charlie but we can hope.

QPRski likes this.
  7. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

With WBA coming down and Hull coming up , can we enforce our options if the home club want to keep the player?
    Austin is at contract end this summer. Again I think WBA have an option of another year, so again the same question?

Johansen there was no option in the loan, so obviously he will return to Fulham, but we may try and buy him. Parker obviously doesn't rate him, and even if they are relegated, Foolham have not been too bad and would think Parker may try and stick with what he has...so again room for hope.

To me at the moment, we need Field as a DCM and DeWisj. Cameron is at the end of his contract in the summer...so it would be "kind" of us to let him go and finish his career in the states

awjm likes this.
  8. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

Why is it strange? I simply pose a question on how people feel about his managerial abilities and what they think about his future at the club. I'm perfectly happy to read positive comments about him.

As stated, I do like him. I just don't think he can take us very far.

For me, there have been too many times this season where the players have shown lack of discipline and focus, getting the really simple things wrong and looking really amateur. An example of that was Dickie getting a number of yellow cards in quick succession for pulling players back, etc. Why didn't Warburton stamp that out? I have a number of other examples.

Of course, at times we look very competent and have beat some good teams. I do actually think he's the right man for now (which I thought my posts made clear). I just don't think there's too much of a future for us with him.

But do let me know what sorts of opinions are acceptable and when I should post them, and I'll take it into consideration.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  9. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

If it is true the club has an option to buy that is not something the parent club can change its mind about. The problem comes I suppose that while we have the right to negotiate a deal that is no guarantee we would be successful unless the player was out of contract at the end of the season. So all we need is:

1 Agree price or have it fixed independently
    2 Agree terms with the player.

Looks good therefore but two banana skins to avoid. The third of course is the dreaded injury between now and the summer as a result of which nether club wants them.

QPR Oslo likes this.
  10. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

All opinions should be acceptable! But re your example on Dickie, surely you have that one wrong, Warburton and his Coaching staff did help him sort it out. He can get done for pace and had the bad habit of pulling players back which probably he'd got into before he came to us at Oxford, but had more problems at our level with quicker strikers. He got into disciplinary trouble and since then his pull backs have been more restrained, I saw him put an arm up Saturday but he looked to remember quick and removed it, and he seems to have learned new tricks for stopping opponents who look to be flying past him but at the last second he gets a leg out or shoulder in the way. Dickie obviously cut a lot of those pull backs out of his game, and his overall game has improved immensely from when he first joined us. All credit to him and our Coaching staff.

QPRski, SW Ranger and rangercol like this.

11. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

We could easily lose out by other Championship Clubs making better offers for our current loans than we can, if they continue to do well with us for the rest of the season, like with Hugill and Wells. The one advantage we have is the personal ones, like if Austin really does want to stay with us, and for Johansen that he has a home and family nearby. We can hope that Fulham and W Brom stay up and don't want their players back in the PL, but that's a big ask of W. Brom now.

12. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

All heading in the right direction on a tight budget...we've changed too often and it hasn't helped us progress. Surely we have to stick with Warburton, especially as we are unlikely to get anyone better.

QPRski likes this.
  13. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

Warburton seems to have been the right person for the right time for us. Tight budgets. Focus on youth development (with a good youth development team) which is always hit and miss and about being more right than wrong. Covid compressed season. Trying to improve each year despite the challenges.

He has been inconsistent. But so have our players performances. But it has been refreshing to put the manager carousel firmly away in a locked cupboard for now (at least). He can be a bit inflexible and frustrating at times - but I don’t know any manager who hasn’t been when managing a mid-table team. He has had me on the verge of spluttering out ‘it’s time for a change’ before suddenly turning our performances around and letting me humbly chew back my words.

So all of that said I think we need to let him continue. We need to keep progressing. Finding that balance of youth and experience (but still keeping a focus on youth - above average youth - development and integration into the first team). We will get better at the youth side of things; we will attract good youth players who see opportunities to get into the first team. And overall it should hopefully play to Warburtons strengths. He still needs to be open to adapting our tactics every now and again and eliminating the predictability that other teams will take advantage of. So I will have to be accepting of our inconsistency for some time, but hey ... shouldn’t I already be used to that?

14. Yorkshire-Rs

Yorkshire-Rs Well-Known Member

His signings have been woeful, and the continued use of certain players is just bizarre. Out of the thousand players brought in if it wasnt for one Charlie Austin we would be in the bottom three by now. Shame as I hoped for good things from the likes of Bonne and Dykes but doesn't look like that will happen.

awjm likes this.
  15. GroveRanger

GroveRanger Well-Known Member

We are still skint so Warbs needs to make do with what he can rustle up with loans, freebies and a mixture of youth & journeymen. If we avoid relegation and finish respectably mid-table I think he would have done a good job. It would be nice to see what he can do if given more to spend but having said that you can still make a complete hash of it even when you are given the keys to the safe.

CroydonCaptainJack and awjm like this.
  16. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

Yes he's the right man for the job,the reality is that our owners have lost the excitement of owning a premier league football club,they are prepared for us to remain a mid table championship side that produces one or two diamonds from the academy that will sell for £m's to keep the club afloat until they can stabilise the club before selling it on, the dream of a nice new shiny stadium is fading. Once we all accept that this is the reality the better, it's the hope that's kills you.

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

You are right of course, but it is the hopes, dreams, ambitions, and, frankly, delusional psychotic expectations that define the football fan. I don’t follow the Rs for yet more reality, I get that from the news. Every game is a new start, a new chance of glory.......

kiwiqpr, SW Ranger, awjm and 2 others like this.
  18. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I'll never accept that.

19. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

As is your right

20. CroydonCaptainJack

CroydonCaptainJack Well-Known Member

Keep your hair on. I just found it strange after such a complete performance that you should choose to highlight his shortcomings.
    I don't see why we can't push on next season with him if we continue to improve as we have done. On a limited budget as well let's not forget.

awjm likes this.