1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

HOW LONG DO WE GIVE HIM ?

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by KIO, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Robbie BB

Robbie BB Well-Known Member

Connor was very explicit about the "breach of trust" being going ahead with the Attanasio story. But that doesn't mean the article about Webber didn't play into it. I'd say there was an issue simmering which breaking the Attanasio story caused to boil over. Don't forget the wider context also -- the change in ownership and business strategy of ECN, and the club's commitment to its own content development.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  2. SuffolkCanary

SuffolkCanary Well-Known Member

Yeah of course, i'm just getting a bit sick of them winging and whining about being shut out when it was their own direct actions which caused it, they called the clubs bluff and wrecked their own relationship so maybe they should take a look at themselves before taking every opportunity to dig at the club, they have been wielding the fan base and causing the divide to widen.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Robbie BB and carrowcanario like this.
  3. Robbie BB

<ok> Totally agree Suffolk.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  4. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

5. Golden Eadie 2

Golden Eadie 2 Well-Known Member

"Sources"? The tea ladies daughter has been at it again.:1980_boogie_down:

6. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

7. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

One minute is one minute too long.

8. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Fair question, that inevitably there won't be a chance to ask anyone at the club in a leadership role. There's perhaps an obvious/expected answer, but I'd like to hear it. Because if this new "pragmatic" style was meant to be the ticket to Premier League survival, that's looking pretty silly right now.

Is "mountaineering whilst Norwich fails" the new "fiddling whilst Rome burns"?

9. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

The new "pragmatic" style MAY WELL prevent us from being relegated from the PL again, because we MAY never get promoted playing it.

10. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Neil Adams, our current assistant sporting director, after 23 games had 10 wins, 7 draws, 6 defeats, +16 goal difference and 37 points. Sat in 7th and resigned because it wasn't good enough with a relegated squad.

Dean Smith, 10-5-8, +5, 35 points....

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022

11. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

Crikey that’s damning

IIRC we all liked Adams, but everyone agreed (including him) that he really wasn’t up to it.

zogean_king likes this.
  12. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

It's interesting reading back to page 30/31 of this thread, and seeing opinions about Farke around the time of his departure. I'd say the mood of this forum at least was more mixed than it is now.

13. 1950canary

1950canary Well-Known Member

When I last posted on this thread I was one of the few saying that Smith had turned round every previous side, our league position was solid and he just needed more time. Having watched that debacle against Blackburn I now accept that I was wrong. Despite having had the squad together for the equivalent of a pre-season it looked as if this was the first time the players had met each other. There was no system, method,effort or organisation and we were completely over-run and outplayed by a side who could be described, at best, as workmanlike. Yes, we would have been 3rd if we had won but we never looked like scoring, winning or even getting a point. He has completely lost the crowd and has no chance of getting them back. My son left at half time and joined a solid stream of supporters leaving. When he got to the Iceni it was full of disgruntled fans. He has got to go and the sooner the better.

14. mike555

mike555 Well-Known Member

Championship form last 10 games.png

Not only is our recent form poor, there are really no hard luck stories . In fact , more often than not, we have picked up points when we didn't deserve any .

ncgandy likes this.
  15. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Well I'm sure this won't have me banging my head against the wall...

16. Farked19

Farked19 Well-Known Member

I have long argued that, despite my opposition to the sacking of Farke we should give Smith time. He's had it.

17. Robbie BB

18. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Yes the rest of the World is deaf and blind to Dean Smith's charismatic personality and tactical genius including the fans that turn up to watch and the players tasked with following his orders .

You alone Robbie are intelligent enough to understand the complexity of the great man and us mere mortals will never comprehend King Dean and his Tubby sidekick Shaky, we should be grateful he wastes his time at Norwich

19. DHCanary

Forum Moderator

Mick Dennis' take on Roeder appears to have aged well...

20. GozoCanary

GozoCanary Well-Known Member

As one of the deaf posters on here, I would like to give my response to this piece.

The main ideas in this article are (roughly in order):

1) That people are conflating the 'disconnect' between the supporters and the club with the performances on the pitch. The author seems uncertain whether the disconnect is real or not, because he states both that it only exists because of this conflation between disconnect and not winning games, yet also states that there is actually a disconnect because people believe there is a disconnect.
    2) The club is still engaging with the local community.
    3) The breakdown of the relationship between the club and the local media was caused by the media, and especially their coverage of Webber's plan to climb Everest.
    4) There are many fans who are determined to find fault with the club and whose minds are made up and closed. This is perhaps happening 'unconsciously'.
    5) It is unreasonable to expect Webber to give a public apology for last year's recruitment or for hiring Smith.
    6) An unrealistic belief grew up that Norwich would always bounce back after relegation.
    7) Smith has not yet got the best out of this group of players because there have been so many changes in the squad.
    8) The key reason why fans have not taken to Smith is that they cannot move on from Farke.
    9) Making the play-offs would be a major achievement this season.

1) I can't follow the logic here.
    2) Yes, but not with the fans and not with the local press. And I hardly think TNC is a good example of engagement with the community.
    3) We can never know as outsiders who is more to blame, but it's worth pointing out that the PinkUn journalists deny the claim that they broke the story of the possible American investment after being asked not to. They also claim that they have made several approaches to the club to mend fences and that these approaches have been ignored. We can decide who we choose to believe, but we can never know the truth, and I suspect Dennis can't either.
    4) I'm sure there are some fans who are like this, just as there are some fans who are still strong supporters of Smith. I find the idea that this desire to find fault is happening 'unconsciously' insulting, as if fans are incapable of rational thought.
    5) This seems a reasonable statement to me. Personally I don't want him to apologise, I want him to do something to sort out the mess.
    6) Interesting that Dennis gives the credit for the 97-point season to Webber, not Farke. Having said that, I think it's likely that we have underestimated the difficulty of going straight back up and overestimated the players in the squad, but IMO we are still underachieving, in terms of both performances and points.
    7) There haven't been that many changes in the squad, especially since Sara and Hayden have played so few games. I interpret this as a poor attempt to deflect Smith's responsibility for his failure to get the best out of the players.
    8) There may be a grain of truth to this, but again it is insulting towards the fans, as if they are starry-eyed groupies with posters of Farke on their bedroom walls and they are incapable of accepting that the club (and Farke) have moved on.
    9) Absolute nonsense. Automatic promotion would be an achievement; play-offs should be an expectation.

In conclusion, there are too many ideas jammed together in this article without much logical flow of thought to connect them. Grouping different ideas together and then using headings might have helped the reader to separate out the various arguments. As it is, it is hard sometimes to grasp the key ideas, but I personally disagree with most of them and think they are weak and poorly argued IMO. Finally, I find the repeated use of 'Because football. Because the Championship' a feeble attempt at a rhetorical flourish. What is this to do with anything?

Apologies for the length of my post, but I am sick of all of us being held in contempt on this board.

: farkelife