1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long does Parky persevere with Grigg?

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Bank of England 2, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Grigg has been at the club for nearly 10 months, and still we wait for him to catch fire.

Meanwhile, McNulty, who looked to be buzzing at the start of the season before he got injured,continues to warm the bench, and desperately needs game time.

Surely it can't be too long before Parky has to make the decision, or we could be left with a misfiring striker and two other strikers who are nowhere near match fit.

2. Boldon boy

Boldon boy Active Member

If I was manager he wouldn't get anywhere near the squad. The bloke clearly doesn't want to be here. He offers absolutely nothing and in most games we may as well be playing with 10 men.
    Get rid if we can and bring someone in jan who actually gives a toss

3. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

The danger is, that our other strikers are losing more and more match sharpness with every game that Grigg plays.

4. Jack Ford

Jack Ford Well-Known Member

A lot of money (comparatively) has been spent on Grigg, I for one was hoping that he would 'come good', still am to a certain extent, but I believe he has been given enough time and I would start with MCnulty if match fit. At least he seems hungrier.

Both Grigg and Wyke for whatever reason are proving to be duds (but having done the business with their previous clubs) until they joined the poisoned chalice.

Realistically I would like to see another striker signed in January (I have no suggestions) but in our current predicament whose to say he would be any better??

Sad state of affairs really. :emoticon-0101-sadsm

5. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I honestly believe that the only thing wrong with Grigg is a total lack of confidence.. However, we need goals now so maybe time to give him a break.

6. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I'd give Grigg the two cup games and if he doesn't score he's out for good. That's being generous but with his record I'd give him one more chance to prove his worth and get some confidence.

In January I'd be looking to get someone strong and fast, ideally with an eye for goal but we are in league one. Pace especially would be useful, if our players are going to panic and lump it up the pitch at least we'd have someone there to run onto it.

7. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

This, it's like hoping Ross would turn it around.

clockstander likes this.
  8. HeatonMackem

HeatonMackem Well-Known Member

I think we've been generally more positive under PP but somehow Grigg still fails to get into positions were he looks like he could score. He seems to lack any anticipation of where the ball in might end up, whether that's behind the line of defence, nipping in at the front post, or hanging back for a pull back. He just seems to let himself be marked until the ball comes in then it's too late and he's too slow to react. Tonight should be his last chance, if he does well though, he has to do it again v Gillingham. Otherwise, let's get McNulty on from the start.

9. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Think needs to be absolutely honest with PP if he really does NOT want to be here. If he doesn’t we should look to sell in Jan, even if it’s at a loss which it would be.

If he wants to stay and be successful, then he needs to speak up and say what he thinks the problem is.

But he needs to at least show that he’s putting the effort in, AND show some emotion. That’s the reason why he’s getting stick.

Me, I just think he’s not very good and we should sell at the first opportunity whatever he says!!

Bart

10. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Have to agree, I doubt Grigg's ability..his demeanour and body language is awful, we need to get rid asap.

11. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Yes I was thinking that either he or PP must have instigated a discussion. If its taken place, he must have said he is ok with the way the team plays and services him -- in which case he's just no good. Otherwise, get talking and try to resolve.

12. Bigmackem

Bigmackem Well-Known Member

In our current side which is slow and don’t often cross the ball in to the box until we have given the opposition defence an age to set themselves up not many strikers would score . During the transfer window we have to get some speedy direct wingers who can get to the byline and CROSS the ball which would create the chances Grigg and McNulty or Wyke crave , at the moment very often the ball is hoofed in from 25/30 yards . Before people say it Watmore nor Gooch are wingers , both are fast but they never lift their heads and chances to cross are squandered . Please Santa or anyone else can we have two like Summerbee and Johnson (Allan, not Adam). I may be in the minority but I actually feel sorry for Grigg playing up front in this side no the wonder his confidence is shot to bits .

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  13. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Watmore and Gooch aren't good at whipping it in from out wide but they are good at bullying their way to near the goal line and cutting it back, which is what we should be focusing on imo. I haven't seen any evidence that Grigg is able to anticipate cutbacks, but I believe that that's been his bread and butter throughout his career.

14. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

See I watched him closely last match at home. Was a cup game but he couldn’t have put himself about anymore then he did imo.

the service to him is none existent and no wonder the lads head drops..

his cards are marked tho so I can’t see anyway back for him tbh.

15. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

Hopefully he’s already took a strong elastic to his knackers and told him he’s dropped.

16. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

He has to go.

17. Blond Bombshell

Well said marra. I too feel sorry for him, but if that's the way we are, we need to change

18. Blond Bombshell

Agree

19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Just what this service is that you all talk about, Maja got the same service and scored goals regularly, what are Griggs strengths exaxctly.

The Berk likes this.
  20. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

Maja made a lot of his himself. Ball back to goal, turn, shoot, score. Grigg doesn’t seem to want to score(I know that won’t be the case), he looks totally shot. The penalty over the bar, leaning back and a stab of a shot, no way could it have hit the target.

Blond Bombshell likes this.