1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How long should Ron get to turn things around?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by tomw24, Dec 19, 2015.

1. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

The question needs to be asked now. We have been abysmal for 5 or 6 games and we are struggling to score goals badly. For me if we don't win by the time we play Palace in the cup and we get knocked out then we need to seriously consider changing the manager. There are viable options out there. I really like Ron as a person but I'm starting to doubt his managerial skills.

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Well it took you about 10 minutes from the final whistle to start this thread, so I reckon the answer to your question is; a lot longer than that, hopefully.

3. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

I'd sack him now personally if there was a good option available to replace him. That won't go down well, but that's really what I think considering his treatment of certain players, selections, tactics, substitutions and signings. But expect he'll get at least two more games to turn it around. I genuinely think he will definitely be sacked if we lose the next three.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
    ImpSaint likes this.
  4. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

I don't like firing managers at the first sign of trouble. We're playing terribly, just as we always play terribly in late November and December, and our run of games was always going to be difficult.

If we reach February and we're hovering around the drop zone? Yeah, then it's time to consider a change.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.
  5. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

It's too soon for this.

On a weekly basis, we look flat, uninspiring and we're making costly errors in crucial parts of matches right now. But, I think Ronald has earned a fair period of grace and I don't want Saints to become a club that overreacts and pulls the trigger too soon.

Give him time - and resources - and let's see where we are in a few games time. We're still 12th, right now.

6. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

We will be hovering around the drop zone very soon if we don't start picking up points. It's not like we're getting unlucky either. We're playing terribly and actually getting worse..

tomw24 likes this.
  7. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

If Biesla is interested then now...

If not then hold our nerve but e must spend in Jan or e could be heading for trouble.

8. - Doing The Lambert Walk

9. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

We are. Just as we played terribly last season over this stretch, taking 1 point from 5 league matches, including a loss to Burnley, and showing as much cutting edge as your average sponge.

For whatever reason, being absolute dog **** in December is our thing. I suspect a lack of quality depth, but it's a constant no matter what.

10. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Your opinion of course. Five losses in six games. The draw being a home draw with Villa. Three goals scored and fourteen conceded. And we're getting worse.

Arsenal, West Ham (Away), Norwich (Away) coming up. I will understand him getting at least two, or three games, to turn it around. But I expect him to get sacked if we lose the next three. The reasoning for me wanting to sack him now (if there's a good option available) is down to the fact I can't see us turning it around in the next thee games after today's performance. I hope I'm proved wrong and we beat Arsenal..

11. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

We won't spend in January. Spending is just not a thing we do unless it is preceded by selling our best players. This is perhaps a problem.

Plastique Bertrand and Puck like this.
  12. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

I think the proper thing to talk about is Saints policy of selling as soon as a good bid comes in. Then replacing with a cheaper player. Yes it is good we are becoming a self run club. But it is starting to **** us up a bit.

thebronze14, Lovelocum, Libby and 2 others like this.
  13. - Doing The Lambert Walk

Your opinion, of course.

Mine? Well, yes. Of course it's my opinion. Do I have to state that on everything I post?

* - My opinion, of course.

14. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

End of the season for me. There's clearly some unsettled feelings going on behind the scene regarding what Beef is alluding to and perhaps that translates to the players too. Who knows. Tintin, you can't talk about "his treatment of certain players" like that unless you have actual evidence that anyone has been badly treated. You're clearly alluding to the likes of Reed and Ramirez, but you don't know *why* that's happened. You're assuming it's stubbornness, but you may very well be wrong.

I think the problem is a lot more to do with our unwillingness to invest more as much as it's to do with RK, though I do think he needs to be doing better.

15. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Where's his explanation for playing Ramirez twice in the league as manger since taking over? A player who has had better PL end product for Saints than Lallana had. 10 minutes this season and got an assist. Why the **** hasn't he been given another chance off the bench? 10 minutes and an assist? Does Koeman want a ****ing hat-trick from him in 10 minutes?

As for Reed. He looked such a sharp and promising DM. Hardly played and has made the joint most tackles in a single game by a player in Premier League history according to the stats. Yet Koeman won't play him at all..

Why is Koeman subbing off Tadic when we need a goal? Why is Bertrand getting so much license to bomb forward? All well and good slagging off the players (yes they are playing abysmally), but don't post it as a defence for Koeman. He has a lot to answer for himself. If he hadn't played Caulker against Liverpool instead of Yoshida then this ridiculous downward spiral would arguably never have began.

We have no firepower off the bench and incapable of turning a game around after conceding. He obviously has a personal and has been unprofessional in his problem with Ramirez, because it certainly isn't football related.

Btw I'm not angry at you, sorry if it comes across that way. I'm angry at Koeman <laugh>

16. Le Tissier's Laces

In a post full of massive assumptions, that one in bold really takes the biscuit! Come on Tintin, you're brighter than this!

EDIT - I see you've edited the post to make that point slightly more reasonable! Thank goodness for that.

17. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Ramirez and Reed aren't injured? Not from what I've read? They are unfairly out of favour as far as I'm concerned.

I'm assuming Tadic can last the 90, he always looked pissed off when he's subbed off. Yoshida was on the bench against Liverpool, so available.

18. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

or change the players, Ramirez, Reed etc

19. Le Tissier's Laces

Let's see what transpires now he's decided that changes are necessary. I'd absolutely love to see them both involved more - Ramirez more so than Reed - but personally I have no idea why they're out of favour or whether it's unfair or not.

20. Toss saints

Toss saints Well-Known Member

I agree, why does Juanmi come on and loot poor, and we all knowRamirez might create