1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How will the season pan out

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by SpursDisciple, Mar 14, 2020.

?

Should we fix positions as they are?

Poll closed Mar 21, 2020.
  1. Yes, it's only fair on the teams that have done

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, relegation and euro places may change

82.4%
  3. Somehow we must play the final games even behind closed doors

17.6%
  1. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

What will the league decide in the light of the virus pandemic we are facing. Sport is not the priority but someone needs to decide nonetheless.

2. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Do you need another category? To void the season?

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  3. LockStock

LockStock Well-Known Member

I think this is likely.

I'd like to see a resumption, just after our players recover <laugh>, but I reckon the problems will drag on for longer than predicted and we'll be voiding and restarting the season with the same teams and CL EL qualifiers.

4. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

I posted this in the 'Rival Watch' thread...

If a game is poised at 5-0, with the losing team down to 10 men, with 5 minutes left and the floodlights go out, the game is abandoned and replayed as if the abandoned game never happened. There's no authority that I can think of for saying..."Well this would have been the result, so we'll not bother finishing the game".

It might be fair and fine for Liverpool to be declared winners but I can't see Norwich, Villa and Bournemouth accepting relegation for them based on their current positions, especially as Villa have a game in hand over Watford, who are 2 points above them. Also, Sheff Utd. would be 5th if they were to win their 29th game, That could be a CL place gone. If you can't be relegated because the season wasn't completed, in my opinion, you can't be awarded the league either. The only analagous situation is cancelling the game.

If there's no existing authority for a decision and it's not applied equitably across the piece, it's a sham and such a decision would be in trouble if taken to the CAS by a complaining club, affected to their detriment. This is especially so if other countries leagues came to differing decisions and abandoned their seasons.

The season is either played out to a conclusion or it should be voided ab initio.

Legally, if the game [season] isn't completed, it's expunged from history and everyone understands that and accepts it, no matter how unfairly it might work out. I'm no fan of the idea of mangling next season to complete this one. That's 2 seasons ****ed and what about the players and the fans?

There are some things that are more important than football and this pandemic is looking like it's one of them. If it's over and done by May..then cancel the Euro's and finish the season pdq. Otherwise it's cancelled and done.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  5. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I can’t see much changing in three weeks. Corona isn’t just gonna vanish within that time frame and I don’t see how realistically you can postpone a season for so much longer that it effectively takes up potentially 1 and a half-2 seasons worth of football.

I’m not even saying this to **** Pool/ Leeds over (though it’ll be absolutely hilarious) but it’s more or less impossible to just finish the season and award titles/ relegations.

Even though Pool’s title is inevitable, it’s still not won yet. The bottom three aren’t cemented. The top of the championship is close and so on and so on. I just can’t see a solution that works where teams get promoted, relegated or wins titles.

For me, void the season but payout on all the current positions.

Then send a letter with a laughing emoji printed on it to Pool and Leeds’ head offices.

6. LockStock

Would there be another transfer window if the season is voided?

Imagine Mourinho with another window and an absolutely excuse free start to the season. It'd be interesting to see how it pans out.

Also, slightly more sad for Pochettino if this happens. Sacked in vain. He'd probably also do better starting fresh with the current squad and another transfer window.

7. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

Roo likes this.
  8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

...especially with our ****ing moron of a Prime Minister thinks the best approach is to get 60% of the population infected

9. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

Would have been a good idea, but I don't think I can?

10. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

60% will get it either way just depends if it's better getting it out of the way or prolonging it so the demand for resources is more manageable.

11. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

And thinking about it option 2 is voiding the season. Ok, it doesn't say that, but otherwise it means nothing.

12. humanbeingincroydon

With the mortality rate estimated somewhere between 1.5-3%, infecting 60% of the population means he's casually sacrificing anything between 600,000 to 1.2m people with his Lord Farquaad approach to Covid-19

13. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

It's not that high. And anyway the current mortality rate is of those tested. I think we are testing the vulnerable and so exaggerating the rate. And if we'll get it anyway there is no avoiding it anyway.

14. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

I just seen somebody on Sky suggesting the season should be voided as from now and Liverpool declared as champions, imagine that down the years, Liverpool remembered as being the club that were given the PL title after 30 years due to a world pandemic, there would forever be an asterisk against the year 2020* in the record books.

I can`t see how they can award the title to Liverpool without compromising the whole integrity of the PL, (though I am sure the authorities would be delighted to) even though they would have won it, it is not yet won mathematically (it would be different had they already secured the title), you can`t just hand out a PL title on the assumption a team would win another couple of games.

15. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

And what about relegation and European qualification. They'll be mired in court cases if they relegate Villa and Bournemouth especially.

16. Billy The Spur

Billy The Spur Well-Known Member

Yes, I`ve already stated the logical solution is to declare the season null and void, no trophies, promotion or relegation, no European competition next season, delay the Euros a year and start again next season as this season started. I`m not sure how court action stands with acts of god, that`s a whole new discussion.

17. SpursDisciple

Forum Moderator

On the other hand, no relegation or promotion and Leeds and WBA will test that in the courts too.

BuzzardFoxMick likes this.
  18. humanbeingincroydon

Infecting 60% of the population by design will soon show whether or not that result is exaggerated - although the real question is how many people with a keen interest in eugenics has Dominic Cummings stuffed in Downing Street's backroom staff, because we already know of at least one...

19. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Play the rest at a later date and delay the start of next season until Nov, could then make the 2022 World Cup date less hassle seeing as that is supposed to be in Nov 2022

20. LockStock

That would suit Man City wouldn't it?

I say have the European competition with the same qualifiers as this season. Go again.