1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield Town vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Feb 4, 2020.

1. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of that.

However, it's not Eze's fault when he's played out of position.
    I don't think he's lazy, but his languid style can certainly make him appear to be.
    I presume you both loved and hated Adel and Stan and others that have worn our 10 shirt?
    I'd take any of them over a hard working, limited player.
    Obviously we need both, but I'd build the team around Eze.

2. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

I can’t honestly say I’ve noticed this defensive nous from Pugh. He just seems to be Warburton’s go-to guy regardless of scoreline for half an hour of not a lot.

3. awjm

awjm Well-Known Member

I don't mind Eze being like that at all. I just don't want him on the left wing where he needs to watch opposition players.

Like you said, it's not his fault he's asked to play there.

rangercol likes this.
  4. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

I thought Eze was excellent again until they scored today, after some, for him, quiet games. Chair unfortunately hasn't produced much for even longer, but then Pugh hasn't done that well for a while either. It's difficult to see who we have now to come in instead of Chair. We need a bit more aggression and press in our midfield, maybe moving Amos forward and bringing in Cameron after his 2 game rest, alongside Ball will help. Amos was good at pressing defenders when played further forward early season.

5. rangercol

I'd play Cameron and Ball together.

6. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Seems from I have seen, and as others have pointed out, both Eze and Chair are fantastic players to have playing when we are on top. They help us drive forward and undo opposition defenses with ease and some eye watering football. The trouble with them comes when we need to grind out a result, or hold on to three points, or even a point, when under pressure. Obviously this challenge is the challenge facing every football manager. It is also the reason that players like Yaya Toure, Patrick Viera and Paul Ince (to name a few who immediately spring to mind) have gone down as legends of the game - they can do both, and are are top class when defending or attacking.

What Warburton needs to get right is how to maximize the benefit of having flair players like Eze and Chair in the team, without seriously compromising defensive requirements. It is obvious that the best midfield lineups have included a mix...even using us as an example...would we all have marveled at Taarabt if players like Shaun Derry weren't alongside him to make up for his defensive shortcomings. There has to be a balance in the team, and taking today as an example, I couldn't watch the game so sorry if I have got this completely wrong, but could it also be that Amos and Ball are not up to the added defensive responsibilities that come from playing with Eze and Chair. Would make sense to me to drop one of Chair and Eze to firstly add a bit more to the defensive side of the team, and secondly to leave one of them as an option for a second half sub, to come on and run at tiring opposition defenders.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    YorkshireHoopster and Ninj like this.
  7. rangercol

Eze is much, much better than Chair.
    Now that we're heading towards a relegation scrap, I'd drop Chair, put Eze at 10 and build a more pragmatic team around him.

QPR Oslo and daverangers like this.
  8. daverangers

daverangers Well-Known Member

Agreed, that'd also give the opportunity to bring on Chair to give him more experience, but only IF the game is safe with 15/20 minutes to go.

rangercol likes this.
  9. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Back from the game and not much to report to be honest. An opening shaky 2 minutes, trying to pass the ball out from the back was beyond comical!!
    We are great at passing sideways and backwards but really struggled passing forwards. A shot from Eze and hitting the bar with a header was all we did in this game. We totally lacked any penetration or ideas in the final 3rd. No stand out players. The best of a bad bunch, in my opinion was Ball. He should be the skipper. He is the only one who showed any passion, aggression and desire to get back in the game. Typical, predictable substitution by Warbs, bring off Chair (our most dangerous attacking threat today) and replace him with Pugh. When that happens you know its game over! Pugh brings nothing to the team at all. Bad day today and looking at the league table, I dont reckon we will be seeing the likes of Samuel or Eze in the hoops next season.

kingdom hoop and mcytiger like this.
  10. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

11. StortfordQPR

StortfordQPR Well-Known Member

We have no leadership on the pitch whatsoever

If Hall wasn't wearing the armband no one would guess that he was captain

Total lack of urgency and movement again today bar 15 minutes in the first half

BOS looked disinterested for much of the match, and if our only attacking "threat" for the rest of the season is Hugill we are screwed. Games against the teams below us are critical now

12. QPRski

QPRski Well-Known Member

Just arrived in the hotel for a holiday to discover we lost 2-0.

A disappointing start to a holiday which I hope can only get better.

Have a good weekend!

13. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Same old same old
    He mentions that you are only a good team if you can score... good teams defend as well.
    Huddersfield are toilet and we conceded 2 goals again! we will get nothing at Swansea and you bet the teams that have been crap all season will start winning.
    This team cannot put a run together and I would hate to have these players in a relegation fight. Wasn’t long ago we could have been top.
    Forget who should and shouldn’t play... we are dropping like a stone.

14. rangercol

I'd be tempted to go to 3-5-2 now Barbet is fit and try to shore things up a bit.

QPR Oslo, Yorkshire-Rs and kiwiqpr like this.
  15. Wherever

Wherever Well-Known Member

Surely 4 more wins is possible

kiwiqpr likes this.
  16. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

It has surprised me just how much we miss Wells. ( I truly never thought we would) his endless running and dropping into midfield (frustrating to see) actually opened up the spaces for BOS, Eze and Chair. Hugill works hard and is strong but doesnt quite have the sharpness of thought as what Well does. I am getting really fed up of seeing Chair being substituted, especially for ****ing Pugh!! I still, for the life of me cant understand how Pugh is playing at this level?!?! We have become very predictable of late. Barbet back will hopefully see a change of formation with Hall and Masterson making a back 3. The only shot I can remember in the 2nd half today was from Wallace smashing it over the bar. I really would like to see BOS start as the front man or even along side hugill.

rangercol likes this.
  17. YorkshireHoopster

YorkshireHoopster Well-Known Member

Interesting point and one I agree with completely. Interesting that Warnock got that message whereas no manager since then has. Much as we all like the football when it works for us we can't put 11 flair players on the pitch. Not exactly back to basics but we do need to start with the basics.

daverangers likes this.
  18. rangercol

I'd like to see three at the back too, with Hall, Masterson and Barbet.
    Eze could play as a ten with Cameron and Ball behind him and have BOS up top off Hugill.
    A little defensive, but we need to shore things up as best we can.

19. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

It’s not the worst idea I’ve ever heard. Think I’d rather bin Hall off for Barbet and Amos for Manning and go from there. Maybe Rangel/Kakay/Jude the Cat for Kane too.

Another hour of nothing before being subbed from Amos. Who’d have thought it?

20. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member