1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Huddersfield Town vs QPR

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by daverangers, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

2. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Given our dire lack of financial resources, we've probably been playing Houdini staying in the Championship until now. Aim until the end of the season - survival

ELLERS likes this.
  3. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

We have nothing else to be concentrating on.

4. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

Sadly not, and looking into the future, I can't see an obvious end to it. Our best hope is that other teams get hit by fines to bring them down to our level.

5. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Having rested our best for the Cup which could have earned us some income to stay FFP compliant, we let Scowen and BFG go, presumably to save cost. But those 2 were probably the 2 players we needed most in all that we have left this season, fighting through a relegation struggle.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  6. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Yep. Both on good money so can see why they’d take the risk given the position we were in. Increasingly looking like a poor decision and could look a disastrous one in a few weeks.

kiwiqpr and QPR Oslo like this.
  7. Rangers Til I Die

Rangers Til I Die Well-Known Member

Barnsley, Wigan, Luton and Millwall have become must win games. We may get the odd draw and even a surprise win here and there.

I don't think it's too negative to suggest we are at least looking over our shoulder if not already in a relegation scrap.

Good old QPR. COYRsss!

kiwiqpr and Wherever like this.
  8. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

Some interesting opinions on there.
    We find ourselves in a situation, in my opinion, instigated by the owners. Forget Hughes, Redknapp etc spending silly money. Someone gave the green light to spend that money! Ambition has bitten us in the arse, lack of ambition is doing the same now! We have to find that middle ground but surely every club strives to play at the highest level, otherwise what's the point?!?! We are in a real catch 22 situation. Some quality youngsters within the ranks whom we would love to keep, but if the club shows no sign of ambition and struggles within its league then realistically these players will get snapped up to play at a higher level. We really needed to fluke a play off position this season to even have a small chance of keeping some of these youngsters. Unless we reach and compete at the top end of this table then this will always be the case, losing our better players to clubs with ambition. I will always support QPR, I have done for 35 years, I travel to many away games, paying hefty prices for tickets but there comes a time when if all we strive for is survival then I would prefer to keep my money in my pocket. I hope that doesnt make me sound like a glory supporter (if there is such a thing, being a QPR fan) but the club has to compete to keep me interested.

kiwiqpr and rangercol like this.
  9. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

I understand the financial position that we're in, but I fear that the club have gone too far with the austerity and fans are feeling cheated, especially season ticket holders who have paid up front to watch us simply trying to survive in the league.

bobmid and kiwiqpr like this.
  10. Stroller

Stroller Well-Known Member

I don't think the club has had any choice regarding austerity (unlike the government, eh?). We are finally being run sensibly and responsibly, but it hurts. Warburton and Ferdinand did a remarkable job last summer in slashing the wage bill and making a few million in transfers whilst cobbling together a squad capable of holding it's own in the Championship. I'm a season ticket holder and I don't feel cheated at all - indeed the football this season has been much better than we've seen for a good while. In his Standard interview (https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/les-ferdinand-interview-qpr-racism-a4355396.html), Ferdinand says that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that we should be able to compete in a year or two. That's ok with me.

11. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It's ok with me too.
    I've read an awful lot of fans on social media saying that they're not happy with the way we've seemingly given up on the season.
    I just hope we don't end up relegated, as that will put a huge spanner in the works.

Tramore Ranger likes this.
  12. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

The football has been better this season but it has followed a similar pattern to last season, on the Play-Off cusp and seemingly ok only to nosedive in Jan & Feb leading to an nervous finish hoping we can reach the 50 point mark with something to spare. I think our current place is about as good as we can hope for in our current situation but I fear we may find 18 months may see us in trouble especially if we lose our creative talents.

I'm more dissatisfied with the fact that we are now approaching 9 years of the TF era and we are moving in the opposite direction towards League One with no new stadium and no new training ground and a squad slowly being stripped of quality. Any gems we uncover will be sold for a fraction of their potential value. And to think we thought Bernie and Flav were a pair of c*nts...

13. Rodney

Rodney Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

But it is disappointing that this season's early promise hasn't been at least partially maintained. And the team do need to throw us a few crumbs between now and the end of the season - a stirring performance, a win against the odds, perhaps even a home win - just to let us know they can compete, now, with some of the better teams and that next season might offer more. It's the hope that gets you buying those season tickets.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    QPR Oslo and Tramore Ranger like this.
  14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

15. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

It was exemplary behaviour and respect shown to jordan. I know his family well having coached Jordan when he was 13 and his older brother Tom played for me in the west yorkshire premier league. Lovely family and a tragic case.

16. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

I havent enjoyed a first half of a season so much in a long time. We have some decent players and some great youth. We are trying (sometimes succeeding) to play in the right way. I just fear the immediate future, especially if we lose the likes of Eze, BOS and Chair. If they do go then the expectations next season can only be that of survival yet again. It's so ****ing frustrating!!

17. QPR Oslo

Yes, right but at least we didn't lose any of that 3 in January.

18. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

I am not quite sure what "the fans" expected of this window...Who would have thought that we would have held onto Eze, Chair, BOS and Manning. All 4 were apparently in demand from big clubs during the early part of the season. If one or two or three of them had gone, the noise would have been deafening.

In fact we lost the only player we could not really hold onto. He was sold for £4million, something we could not (and should not have matched). He has no resale value (Burnley lost £1 on the deal...plus anearly 2 years of wages). I predict he will do nothing at City, he blew hot and cold and a lot of what he did was down to our youngsters!

The other two players we lost were players who could not be guaranteed first team places...and many of you had said on here why is BFG or Scowen in the team.

So I assume the crime is not buying a forward to replace Wells. The January window is not the place to buy a forward, and I doubt a forward we could buy would just walk in and start scoring. The backroom staff were pragmatic, and now lets get behind them and make sure we stay up with ease

Sir Les has said it is two years before we are fully competitive. We get through this season and we are back on FFP track, and I predict we will buy a few players in the summer (I predict we will lose Eze though).

Oh and btw...didn't Kelly play well on Saturday...runs for cover and puts on tin helmet

Rodney, Ciarrai_Abu and QPR Oslo like this.
  19. QPR Oslo

Spot on about Kelly. He made some good stops, one a fantastic finger tip save of a shot going in the top corner, which some reports had as a shot gone just wide. His distribution was mainly good, his only error I remember was a poor clearance before the penalty was given.

CroydonCaptainJack likes this.