1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

But it's ****ing ****e? As for the transport interchange? The façade looks great, but the planning for traffic flow is just abysmal. How many people have been killed or run over by buses because of the piss poor planning? There simply shouldn't be buses driving through access points to a main shopping centre.

The whole thing is an eye sore and a design own goal. I won't mention the fact the roof over the 'closed street' pisses water in when it rains. Did the designers doing the project only have an etch a sketch? Seriously, I wouldn't confess to having had anything to do with it. It's an embarrassment.

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

I've not seen this before, in 1968 the Civic Society proposed a road that would not have cut the Old Town in half...

please log in to view this image

3. dazzar86

dazzar86 Well-Known Member

^I wouldn't say that is any better, or any worse.

The current A63 cuts off Hull from the waterfront, the civic society's would have meant the waterfront became an obtrusive, concrete flyover.

The best idea would have been to have the A63 come in to Hull either; between Willerby and Cottingham, joining onto a widened Cottingham Rd/Clough Rd - down Stoneferry and onto Mount Pleasant and the docks,

OR

The more practical - an altered Spring Bank West/Spring Bank, onto Freetown Way and then onto Great Union Street and onto the docks.

Or they could have just built a landbridge at the time they built the A63 <laugh>

4. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Would it be a more sustainable long term to redevelop the western docks and reduce the need for many of the vehicles to travel east in the first place?

5. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC Well-Known Member

The old Freightliner terminal was near Dairycoates, in the wrong place for cargoes coming into KG/QE + Alex Docks.

There's not the space for the dock trade in the Western docks.

6. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

The docks to the East are massive compared to those in the West and the proposed cruise terminal is planned to be in the West(if it ever happens).

7. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Hull (City of Culture)'s entry for the Turner Prize?

please log in to view this image

tigers 2008, Edelman and C'mon ref like this.
  8. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

A thoughtful and well written article, constructive without being abusive about Hull's failings, he certainly points out some plus point on the architectural side but also points out the awfulness of some buildings. I enjoyed the article and shall read more from the list there is, but Hull has always, as far as I remember, had to fight with one arm tied behind its back to attract funding, public or private, in competition with those cities nearer to our main motorways, a geographical shortcoming, and nothing councils of any persuasion could overcome only governments as we all know was shown cynically when we got the Humber Bridge, but no orther funding attracting jobs to the area, except for Kimberly Clark. I have forgotten the amount of times I have had discussions with people outside of the area when on my travels who had the idea that when the Cod War was lost that we only lost a few trawlermen jobs which was no big deal compared to say mining jobs that were being lost. But what they never understood was the amount of highly skilled, decently paid, back up jobs that were lost as well, everything from joinery to radar to shipbuilding, it was blow that Hull never recovered from and we got no governement help to try and recover, whereas the mines, car workers .......

9. mistermc

mistermc Active Member

Planning permission granted for the Hull (Concert) venue this afternnoon by the council planning office - as well as the revised Beverley Gate

10. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Hence the 'redevelop' part.

Sites to the west were looked at for the cruise terminal, and the reasons they didn't get to the short list may not quite be as important in the future. The proposed site for the terminal at Victoria Dock is hardly massive.

I'd be interested in Dazzar's view, as he does seem to have a handle on many of the issues.

11. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

We had a thread before on siting an old RN ship in Hull, Cant remember quite what but a poster absolutely shot it to pieces as to why it couldnt happen. I wonder if cruise ships would be out for the same reasons.
    i'll try and find it.

DMD likes this.
  12. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Does Vicky Dock still exist? I was under the impression it was filled in and developed by Bellway Homes.

13. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

Its still called Victoria Dock though.

14. Mikez

Mikez Member

Great article! Thanks.

I am possibly the only one but when I read that it 'sounded like' Lloyd Grossman.

15. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

OK. So where would the terminal and berth go? Or is there some river frontage and land area not re-developed?

16. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

I suppose it would have to be built at the top end near Alexandra dock.
    Come to mention it i dont see where the traffic from it would go.

17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

It would be next door to The Deep, I don't understand the proposal for that site, it seems completely impractical.

18. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

Could it be fitted in, in the available space/with adequate road connection to A63?

19. Dr.Stanley O'Google, HCFC

As the river side of Albert Dock used to be the Riverside Quay, could it go there? However - how could road access from A63 work?

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Albert Dock would seem the obvious choice, though I've no idea about the practicalities of the water depth etc (though I doubt any issues are insurmountable).