1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hull: City of Culture

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Feb 10, 2014.

1. gtigerbackin hull

gtigerbackin hull Well-Known Member

I think I remember the incident & if it is the same bloke ( lad ) he died earlier this year.

2. gtigerbackin hull

gtigerbackin hull Well-Known Member

Mine were 1957 - !961.

3. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

Did she become a ten pound Pom?

If so I mebbee know her.

Mind, come to think of it there’s a lot of women in Aus called Sheila.

gtigerbackin hull likes this.
  4. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

A load of sheep called Sheila too.:emoticon-0105-wink:

gtigerbackin hull likes this.
  5. LeftSaidFred

LeftSaidFred Well-Known Member

Is your sister called Sheila? Tap in, sorry couldn’t resist.

balkan tiger and southerntiger like this.
  6. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

I was there from '60 to '67 as well - but I don't think I'm your brother (mine went to Beverley Grammar School). I recently enjoyed a walk around Pickering Park with Mrs. Der Alte and was pleased to see that, despite some changes and also being a little run down in parts, it had retained a great deal of its old charm.

southerntiger likes this.
  7. southerntiger

southerntiger Well-Known Member

No but unfortunately for me she was head girl when Malcolm Storry was head boy.
    When i started in the year after i was always a big disappointment to the staff especially old Hicksy.

8. BlackAndAmberGambler

BlackAndAmberGambler Well-Known Member

Did you bowl a maiden over by any chance?

9. tigerscanada

Bernard Hicks' son wrote a decent book about the history of KHS. Malcolm Storry appears every now & then on repeats of some old TV series. (Doc Martin being one, another series about customs & excise crime - forget the name of the show). Oh aye, he was in a couple of episodes of Rumpole of the Bailey - playing a bent cop. Loved Rumpole.

10. southerntiger

The Knock

He was in the film the Darkest Hour last year.
    He also did loads of stuff with the RSC.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    tigerscanada likes this.

11. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

My parents had a shop near to KHS so I went to Pickering Primary from about the age of 7 and then to Bethune. I would have gone to KHS but my folks decided to sell up and move back out to West Hull Villages (They’d kept our house in North Cave whilst we owned and they ran the shop on the corner of St Nics Ave). So I could go to South Hunsley.

I did quite enjoy my time around that area - spent a lot of time in Pickering Park as a kid.

12. Der Alte

I knew "Stos" pretty well - a great all rounder, he was in the year above me but we were both in Meaux, football teams, choirs and orchestras together. His sister Maureen was also at KHS at the time (possibly a year above Malcolm) but I'm afraid I can't remember the Head Girl that year.
    Did your parent's shop used to advertise "Plonk, matured in the wood"? I think John Alderton's parents also had a shop on the corner there at some point - he was another KHS old boy (Please SIr and Emergency Ward 10 were probably his most famous series).

southerntiger and tigerscanada like this.
  13. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

It was his shop my Mum and Dad owned. His Sister Jackie lived just up the road. My Mum babysat his kids for a day in the late Eighties as they were in town and had meetings - nice down to earth family.

14. Der Alte

I used to catch the bus home from school just opposite and used to enjoy reading the various hand written adverts in the windows - the "plonk" one was something that has always stuck in my memory. I'm not sure but I think that John Alderton's first marriage was to an actress appearing in Emergency Ward 10 and his parents arranged a bit of a do in Hessle Ex-Servicemens' Club - certainly strengthens his "down to earth" credentials.

GLP likes this.
  15. southerntiger

I used to go in that shop a lot. Almost every lunch time when I was at Kingston.
    My mam was very good friends with Gordon and Ivy Alderton and Ivys sister Gladys so much so we used call them Aunties Gladys and Ivy. They used to take her to Hessle ex Servicemens club. My sister used to baby sit at Jackies sometimes.
    When John was around we often saw him walking past our house with either Jill Browne( Emergency Ward 10) or Pauline Collins on his way to his Aunty Gladys'.

GLP likes this.
  16. GLP

GLP Well-Known Member

That will be the very same shop. My parents bought it in about 1980 and ran it together, the hours they worked was ridiculous. I remember often going to the Cash and Carry in Hessle (Willis) for stock. When the school kids from Kingston came in at dinner time I think as much stuff was nicked as it was paid for <laugh><laugh>

17. southerntiger

By the time I left the school was already going downhill because of the change to being a comprehensive!!

18. tigerscanada

Believe me ST, the school was starting to go downhill in '57 when our intake arrived. :emoticon-0100-smile
    About half a dozen of us had to repeat our 6th form because our A level results were not good enough to get to skive off at college for another 4 years. The extra year did it mind for all of us. Turned out I got to skive off for another 7 years at college as a result of frittering away a year @ KHS. Good investment that <laugh>

19. tigerscanada

That's the one - The Knock. There was a tasty young actress in that series as well if I recall.
    Haven't talked to Malcolm for a few years now - in fact not since he borrowed my City season pass 5 or 6 years ago. He stopped off at my sister's to pick it up maybe a couple of times, unfortunately I didn't get to be over in England that season. We have a mutual friend (another Old Kingstonian) which is how we reconnected after all these years.

20. tigerscanada

My memory could be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember John Alderton,( or one of his close KHS schoolmates) used to drive an old Standard saloon that had been painted in black 'n' amber stripes. They were 3, maybe 4 years ahead of my year. I think whoever owned the car got a little bit of stick from Cameron-Walker for driving it down the school driveway. Someone on here may be able to confirm/or correct my vague recollections on this front ?