1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Hull City v Bristol City

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

2. gtigerbackin hull

gtigerbackin hull Well-Known Member

My 7 year old Grandson was born and lives in Bristol, however he is a Hull City supporter and my son has difficulty getting him to wear anything other than his Hull City replica kit. We mistimed his summer stay with us, he was up for the Reading match, which as you know happily we won. He will be cheering for us today, he hates Bristol City.

3. Barchullona

Barchullona Well-Known Member

Good to see someone has kids who have been brought up properly. Your son is a credit to you.
    And someone who should make Hull Whites and Hull Reds hang their heads in shame.

4. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

I lived in Brizzle for a year in the early eighties when YOP kindly paid for me to do an HND in Engineering Design, as it conveniently removed me from the unemployment figures. I lived down Gloucester Road as it happened and stared in awe at the miles and miles of independent shops on a daily basis. I saw us play Bristol Rovers and Newport County away that season, I think we drew both 1 - 1. Mainly however, I got drunk, and all paid for by Maggie T, so fair play to her, she snatched me milk and returned it as Wadworth 6X 12 years later.

One of me daughters now lives and works there. It’s a great city; cosmopolitan, cultural, historical, friendly. Really enjoyable place to visit.

Not as good as Norwich obvs, but a great city nonetheless.

We’ll get battered today btw. Imagine English batting performance re-written in footballing terms. That bad.

5. Barchullona

And, needless to say, not a patch on Hull. Despite Bristol being one of the top visitor destinations in the country and one of the UK's most popular tourist destinations and being selected in 2009 as one of the world's top ten cities by international travel publishers Dorling Kindersley in their Eyewitness series of travel guides and the Sunday Times named it as the best city in Britain in which to live in 2014 and 2017, Publications obviously involved in a conspiracy to overlook Hull.

My first experience of Bristol was in the early 1970s. We used to get a bus which left Hull when the pubs closed and be at our destination the next morning ready for the pubs opening. In those days a lot of people used to work Saturday morning and we were sat in a cafe watching them pass by. My mate turned to me and “Aren’t there are any bad looking lasses in Bristol?”. I was thinking the same.

6. Mr Hatem

Mr Hatem Well-Known Member

I'd be happy if we score 67.

7. gtigerbackin hull

gtigerbackin hull Well-Known Member

Thanks we did our best.
    Daughter, Graddaughter, and Son-in-law all membership holders ( live locally ). My Granddad started me off more years ago than I care to remember. They will be taking me today, I allow them to buy me a pint, it's the least I can for them.

8. Barchullona

And, has the advantage of a river running into it which they take use of to make a vibrant area and showcasing their maritime heritage. Unfortunately the river running through Hull which gives the city its name is more of a stream running into a muddy estuary and similar developments are not possible.
    Though, like everywhere else, it has a very dodgy area, the diverse multicultural one of course.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    gtigerbackin hull likes this.
  9. Tickton Tiger.

Tickton Tiger. Well-Known Member

Malcolm Lord scored a rare hat trick against Bristol City at Boothferry Park back in the day.

10. Barchullona

When my kids exasperate me, which is frequently, I console myself that despite going to school with the usual bunch of Reds and White ****e, they were two of the only three to wear City shirts. They did this on the basis they were born in Hull, though we moved when they were 3 and 18 months. I think to myself that at least I haven't been a total failure as a father.

11. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

After Tuesday's performance, I am not sure what the outcome will be today. They are a good side, but if we play as we did at Brentford then we will give them a good game, and hopefully get the win. If we play like Tuesday then we could be in for a defeat.

I've signed up for the season now on Tiger TV, so I hope they won't make me regret staying up late to watch them.

I'm going for a 1-1 draw.

I think the team will be

Long
    Lopes Wijs Burke Kingsley
    Stewart Honeyman Irvine
    Bowen Magennis Turbo

12. Barchullona

When was that, can’t recall it, though no doubt I will have been there?

Rememember us only getting just over 5,000 for a Cup replay against them one season after our last ever 30,000+ gate against West Ham. Yo-yo crowds, eh?

13. Newland Tiger

Newland Tiger Well-Known Member

I thought this must be wrong but it actually seems correct , I'm very surprised , great list

14. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

21,654 there for them against QPR last weekend. Going to be tough today against a huge club.

15. Febbos

Febbos Well-Known Member

Would there be any interest in me reporting about the game in a separate live thread? :emoticon-0176-smoke (Just update the main post, minute by minute)
    Probably gonna watch it on Tigers TV. Sharpen up my journalism......

Howden Tigress and balkan tiger like this.
  16. desfrog

desfrog Well-Known Member

think we'll get hammered today

17. Ernie Shackleton

Ernie Shackleton Well-Known Member

I’m out for afternoon tea with the wife, daughter 2 and boyfriend this afternoon so that could be very handy.

That’s daughter 2s boyfriend by the way. Not mine.

Mr Hatem and Barchullona like this.
  18. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Yes please.

19. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

Just be aware of texting police who might come knocking.

20. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

It is a port city that grew and prospered thanks to the slave/sugar/tobacco connection, and as such must hang in its collective head in shame.

This generated far more revenue than the whaling, timber and fishing industries did, and can't you tell.

I have very high principles and morals, and I'm temporarily putting them aside today to watch City play a team from there.