1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Hull City v Burnley

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, Mar 12, 2023.

?

City win?

1. City win

2. Draw

3. Burnley again

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

They did break it down by team in the article. Only Newcastle and Brentford fared better going long. For every other club, short goal kicks led to a touch in the opposition penalty area more often.

Ernie Shackleton likes this.
  2. petersaxton

petersaxton Well-Known Member

what enlightened him was conceding a couple of stupid goals
    it was a good job he wasnt influenced by the idiots who were impressed by a different approach despite the negative outcomes

3. petersaxton

they didnt consider the goals conceded?
    the article would make you think it was only goals scored that mattered in football not goals conceded

Cityzen likes this.
  4. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Clearly, what I quoted was only one small part of the analysis in the article, and the article itself will be limited in its breadth. Clubs will have access to much more detailed data and have it analysed to a much more useful degree.

And that analysis is leading to City deciding, like most good teams, to go short more often than not. If it was as dangerous as some people think, clubs would be the first to know about it.

5. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

You want to trademark that before others steal it.

6. Sumatran_Tiger

Sumatran_Tiger Well-Known Member

75 year copyright expired long ago

7. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

We have scored 42 times in 37 games (1.135 goals per game) and conceded 52 (1.405). If we give a totally stupid, self inflicted goal away, we stand very little chance of winning the game (and I suggest the players realise this). Now, unlike Man City, I don't remember playing out from the back directly generating even one single shot on goal, but I do recall several utter **** ups. It's not a mathematical treatment, I grant you, but I'm not convinced the tactic does anything but unnecessarily raise the collected blood pressures of players and supporters alike. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
  8. Cityzen

You mean it wasn’t an original of yours?:emoticon-0102-bigsm

9. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Statistically, Cyrus Christie is the best right back in the Championship, he's our only player in the Championship team of the season (so far).

highpeak tiger likes this.
  10. petersaxton

you seem to be thinking that people are complaining about going short to get the ball moved upfield
    in my experience the only people who talk about people complaining about going short to get the ball moved upfield are people who want the goalkeeper and defenders to pass the ball backwards and forwards until they are closed down
    the theory of this approach is to stretch the opponents to create space in the midfield
    you only have to look at when City tried it and it resulted in 2 goals conceded in 2/3 games
    it was only when City abandoned this idea and concentrated on passing the ball forward quickly through the midfield that they realised there was a better plan which didnt involve conceding goals
    You only have to look at Manchester City v Leipzig on Tuesday to see the messes both teams created when passing the ball around at the back inside their own penalty areas

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    highpeak tiger likes this.

11. Sumatran_Tiger

Sumatran_Tiger Well-Known Member

Nothing posted on here is original

12. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

I wonder why they didn't do by goals instead of touches in the penalty area. Goals are the point of the game after all.

petersaxton likes this.
  13. Cityzen

We had 6 shots on target, Burnley had 3. Does that mean our xGs stat was better? Of course the the only stat that matters in BINs.

TwoWrights likes this.
  14. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

Too little data to make it significant I'd guess, because goals are so rare in the scheme of things.

15. jhe10

jhe10 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't overlook Ebiowei's part in that comedy either. The cross came over, Ebiowei jumped for a reasonably easy header at the far post, missed it completely and the ball bounced off his torso to Traore's right foot which he appears to only use for standing on.

16. springtiger

springtiger Well-Known Member

On things that can annoy you with City at the moment , why do we struggle to keep posession from throwing but yet we fail to mark the oppos throw ins almost entirely - or that’s the way it looks . Anyone notice how often Tufan does , or has to turn and play it short and backwards.
    why do we start attacking corners from the back corner for one match then never do it again , it was like it under other managers - new routines for a week then forget them . If we attacked every corner of ours t from the back corner of the box I’m sure we’d have got a few more goals - you lose count how many corners go out with no one near

17. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

There were 2 corners against Burnley were all City players ran to the near post and the cross went to the far post with no one there. Surely at least one player should be on the far post?

18. balkan tiger

balkan tiger Well-Known Member

There's a book called the numbers game, a few years old now be worth a read if you're into stats.

1 stand out, the opposition is more likely to score from your corner than you are.

19. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

City are showing some improvement on throw in but they've been really poor over the years at both using the throws well and marking the opposition when they have a throw in. I do recall us actually scoring a goal from a cunning throw in down the line, quickly taken - that was at Darlington's "new" stadium the last time we played there so it was a strikingly rare event.

20. Stockholm Tiger

Stockholm Tiger Well-Known Member

It is amazing how bad we are at throw ins.