1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Hume contract dispute

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Nozs’ Hat

Nozs’ Hat Well-Known Member

I think he’ll sign and want to be part of the future of the club. On what I’ve seen so far, I’d start a fit Hume over Cirkin, but appreciate we’ve not seen much of the latter yet.

Random lad likes this.
  2. :emoticon-0140-rofl: Made me laugh.

3. Agree we've not seen anything much from Cirkin yet,but I'd be inclined to play Hume further up the pitch anyway. I don't think he's great defensively,but he will get forward and run at people,he has a bit of pace. I'd see him as an option if,for example,McGeady runs out of steam,to provide a bit of width on the left.

Gil T Azell and Nozs’ Hat like this.
  4. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Ps so that the 5 year old granddaughter was happy getting a dental check up she point blank refused 1st time in the surgery. Yesterday 2nd visit, she wore her Elsa dress and allowed the dentist to check her teeth.

Robertson likes this.
  5. Nozs’ Hat

Nozs’ Hat Well-Known Member

Good point. I guess that makes even more sense, in that he has the versatility to cover multiple positions. Although that relies on him accepting the offered wage of a versatile league 1 squad player….

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  6. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

His agent is there to do the running around and provide him with options and "advice" - ultimately though it is down to him as to what he does. Denver has not signed the new contract because Denver does not want to - it may or may not be on the advice of his agent but it is his decision. He can go against the agents advice any time that he wants to, the agent will still get paid. In fact the agent is probably more concerned that he ends up not signing for anybody because then they don't get paid.

It's easy to blame the agent here but the lad is 23 and he's not a kid anymore. In my opinion he doesn't want to play for us any more and he wants us to withdraw our offer so that he can become a free agent and negotiate higher wages with somebody else without them having to pay the £200k.

RIC, Robertson, Nordic and 1 other person like this.
  7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

See I don’t think he is the “same 23 I was” if you get what I mean. I’d been working around the country contracting on various sites at that age. Seen loads of the country and worked for 5 different companies. He’s still very reliant on his advisers and will likely still think they know best. I re kon he’ll be lucky to have the same nous I had when I was 18 right now. Age is a number but loads of footballers say they don’t get the same “growing up” as non football people nowadays as they’re simply hidden from a lot of it

8. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

It's a good point - even fully grown men in their late 20s still have their bills paid for them by someone at the club and all their kit etc is provided by sponsors

The criminal who shall not be named was said to be socially and psychologically immature

Random lad and marcusblackcat like this.
  9. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

He's been involved in football at an age when we would still be going to school, mate. He knows exactly how this business works, I don't buy the notion that all footballers are thick as pig **** and don't understand the real world. There's no excuses for that anymore. The likes of Mignolet and Watmore chose to get off their backsides and get into university mixing with people from 'normal' backgrounds and gaining life experience. If other footballers want to stay in their little bubble and are scared to dip their toes into real life then that's on them. I wouldn't make excuses for them tbh.

Random lad likes this.
  10. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

Just an opinion mate. Loads of footy players say the same when they retire. Complete lack of “real life” experience from being stuck in the football bubble. Not necessarily thick, just completely uneducated “world wise”.

Having spoken to people who have met Cristiano Ronaldo, they said it’s like talking to a kid even in his 30s. Extreme case I know but there is no way they’ll be as workday as you or I were at that age. As top at says, some have everything done for them even in their late 20s. Not making excuses, just think it’s possible

Random lad and Saf like this.

11. Riever

Riever Well-Known Member

I get that he may not be as mature at 23 as those of us who grew up in the real world but I still believe that he knows what is going on here. Whilst his agent is telling him one thing, the club and most likely his colleagues will be telling him something else - it is very unlikely for him to be completely reliant on one person in this matter.

It would not be a surprise to me if there was an offer on the table elsewhere for him which depends on him having the SAFC offer withdrawn. If I was going to have a wager on this I would bet that he never plays for us again.

I don't bet though because I generally lose money when I do!!!

12. marcusblackcat

Forum Moderator

I wouldn’t take that bet either!! I think you’re probably right. But luckily the club has a sensible ownership group who are not as stupid as the other club appears to think!

Guess time will tell!

13. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

The last two posts are the scenarios which make the most sense, its time to let him sweat, and without the clubs help he wont get fit so hence no contract

Riever likes this.
  14. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

My gut feeling is he will play for us, again!

The Professor and Random lad like this.
  15. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

He may be reliant on the agent because he’s in that football world bubble - but could his family not give him an “ outside” perspective? They may of course assume they don’t understand sufficiently , so just stay out if it .

16. Seb’s right peg

Seb’s right peg Well-Known Member

His family didn’t want him to go out on loan when he was younger. Like a lot of people from the north east, they tend not to want to move away from what they’re comfortable with.

I hope he stays, he’s a good lad, but this has been handled poorly.

John Wick and Blond Bombshell like this.
  17. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

if this was me...

one one hand i have the security of knowing my team and my surroundings so no upheaval needed, i just stay as i am...i then have to have a bit of a fight with myself, do i stick and learn a little longer or do i have faith in myself to make a move, if honest i realise i am still in need of support and training and compared to most at my age i am earning a very decent wage, there is every chance my wages will increase (possibly by a considerable amount) should promotion come along, then, what offers have i had from other teams.

on the other hand, i have had some good offers but are they enough to tempt me away to make a new start, will i be able to settle in a new area and with these new team mates, i think i really need to be 110% convinced of my own ability and if i honestly think i am 'the finished article' then i really need to give my head a shake...or if no other offers, why not?...it has to come down to my needing more work on my game.

so, i have ended up as a young lad with no club, the 'easy option' is to stay where i am as they have handled everything with dignity and been professional at every turn, also at this point in my career they have offered good training and given me my first team action, even though i was not 'officially' one of their players they have helped me with medical staff and rehab, use of facilities etc although obviously they are looking after their own interests as well...i think accepting the offer is my best course of action at this time as this club now looks as if it means business.

...or him thinking as him could just as easily be saying 'agent, sort it for me as i want out'.

18. MorpethThings

MorpethThings Active Member

Personally, I think he is focussing on getting fit and letting his agent sort out a contract. Talks with us are on hold as him and his agent have not accepted the offer, although it’s still on the table. I heard there was an offer from a London based Championship club which as yet was not accepted, which I am led to believe is due to his reluctance to move away from the area. I can only see him signing for one of two clubs, the other being a little further down the A19

19. Ozzymac

Ozzymac Well-Known Member

Stolen from over the road :emoticon-0102-bigsm

Once upon a time there was a player named Hume
    With his footballing prowess we hoped he would bloom.
    But his agent then told him "you're the next Kenny Sansom"
    So at contract time, he tried to hold us to ransom.

Alas for the lad he had legs made of twiglet
    And the tackling ability of a little toy piglet.
    So the club offered him tuppence, that's all that he's worth,
    Other clubs agree, won't offer a berth.

So that's what you get when your agent gets greedy.
    No club, no team, and no Aiden McGeady.
    No left wing to run down, no crossing to muck up
    Oh poor little Denver. What an absolute **** up.

20. Dunder Mifflin

Dunder Mifflin Well-Known Member

Deleted all his SAFC related stuff on social media

Bye bye

Chip likes this.