1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Huw Jenkins interview.side swipe at Laudrup ?

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Norway-jack, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Norway-jack

Norway-jack Well-Known Member

What are the thoughts of my fellow Jacks on this one then ? In an Interview in the Gaurdian Huw talks about us being competitive against ALL teams and tends to have a dig about the "league within a league " stance that Laudrup takes .

here are the quotes.

"The biggest thing you need – I've been thinking about this for the last month – and I think we [the board] have got it as people who have been with the club for a long time, is belief that you can compete, because we've encountered reasons why we couldn't compete right throughout each division we were in," he says. "We have to make sure whoever comes in to manage, coach and play for us in the future, they can't be talking about different levels of leagues within a league. To me, that is complete failure.

"When I hear some of our players and staff talking [about getting to 40 points] now it really upsets me that they can actually think like that, because you are more or less conceding a third of the games you play in before you start. I find that the hardest thing to take, that we have actually got staff and players that struggle at this point in time to see where we can compete. And that's the biggest challenge I've got, to make sure that turns around and that everybody working with the club believes if we keep doing things differently, we can compete, irrespective of the size of the club or budgets."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/02/swansea-chairman-huw-jenkins-cardiff-derby

An interesting time to post this in the media!

My own view is that Laudrup talks this to the media but privately he wants to beat the big teams just like anyone else, he is however a realist and he would prefer a win by playing it tight than to go out all guns blazing .

Interesting interview and a strange time for it to come out in the press .

Thoughts ?

2. swimaway

swimaway Well-Known Member

Looking to deep NJ!

3. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Both are winners but different personalities wanting the club to achieve great things but not taking anything for granted. Plus not sure i believe what's written in a rag with editors in charge of the final print ?

4. Norway-jack

I looked at the Article !

Nothing deep there at all . Laudrup always talks about us being in our own league /league within a league and Huw says in the press that tlking about a league within a league is complete failiure .

Is that looking too deep ?

I find the timing of the whole thing a bit strange more than the content. I don't understand why our chairman has to say things like this to the press,its fairly obvious to me there is reference to Laudrup and his comments in there .

Don't understand Huws reasons :)

5. Norway-jack

bloody hell what happened there !! 4 posts ! ...<laugh>

6. ProjectVRD

ProjectVRD Well-Known Member

I think the director level of staff have to have a more ambitious mindset, it is his job to drive the entire operation onwards and upwards. He probably runs these by the staff before going into interviews.

7. Norway-jack

You would think so project. It will therefore be interesting to see if laudrup keeps mentioning the phrase "in our league" at his press calls .

My own view is that laudrup is a very cagey guy and plays the media perfect . What he tells players and what he tells media are two different things IMO . He has a way of playing the top teams which is more defensive but it has worked as often as it has failed , it's why I find hues comments a little bit strange .

We beat Liverpool away , Chelsea away and arsenal away were unlucky to lose to utd at home and were unlucky to get only a point against Liverpool home this season there is certainly beleif there !

8. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Huw is right. Sir Mike has said it too often and it creates a defeatist attitude - even if its subconcious.

9. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

No need to post it 4 time NJ, you made your point the first time ;)
    I had trouble with posts yesterday too<laugh>

10. The Lone Rangel

The Lone Rangel Active Member

What he's saying is spot on. Laudrup's defeatist attitude/team selections have been costing us points against the stronger sides for a while now. When he's saying it is not. Shades of old Huw Jenkins showing through there.

11. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Huw is correct here. Would never have heard Roberto saying things like this.

12. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

I agree with Huw Jenkins on this one, I don't like the defeatist attitude that Laudrup has displayed in the press, particularly at the end of last season, when he was playing down what we would be able to achieve this season, and his repeated statements that we could not improve on last year!

Also Laudrups emphasis on 'Our League' referring to the 'League within in a League' with Which he sees our ceiling of achievement is for me something that should not be said in the media, he's basically capping his own players ambitions and achievements, and I'm pleased that Huw Jenkins has focused on this, as we are not a defeatist club, and Laudrup needs to drop this 'little old Swansea limitations', well said Huw & the board........................<ok>

13. Norway-jack

was our record under Brenden better against the top teams or worse or about the same ??

I don't know but im guessing its about the same . We don't know what is actually said to players in the dressing room either , so regardless of what Laudrup tells the media it is possible he tells the players something completely different .

Huw Jenkins comments serve no purpose other than to create speculation about the relationship between manager and chairman and im sure the conversation would have been held in private if it was a real concern, airing dirty linen in public is not really our style so why Huw feels the need to say this kind of stuff ive no idea .

Try and get real news from the club is like trying to get blood from a stone so why Huw suddenly feels the need to spill his guts a day before the derby game is anyones guess .

14. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Laudrup has a point on the league within a league because it reflects the reality - however there is no reason why a team like ours (Southampton?) can't compete with the big boys. Whether we could maintain that until the end of the season is debateabe though.

I also agree with HJ in that ML shouldn't be publicly admitting this even if they are his private thoughts. It goes onto the players who may feel they're not expected to win certain games so it doesn't really matter if they put a shift in or not.

Well said HJ, though like others I'm wondering why this wasn't kept behind closed doors.

15. Norway-jack

But don't you guys think Laudrup is just being realistic ?

Forget beating the big clubs we cant beat West Ham at home or Southampton away or Birmingham away for that matter !!

When we can beat teams like that on a regular basis then we can talk about competing with the bigger teams, we are still just as easy to get relegated as we are finish in an European spot , in fact its only really the spurs game for me where we were perhaps a bit too negative, we should have had a point from that game really so it wasn't exactly a disaster !

I think you will see the Swans go for these teams as we build into the second half of the season :)

16. DragonPhilljack

I'm under no misapprehension with regard to the working relationship between Jenkins and Laudrup, it's not one of our better ones, but at least it didn't end up as a Sousagate, which could have wrecked us at this stage of our development. It will also have been noted by our board the fall off of our possession and keep ball game, and while I think we will have another good season, we are not hitting any form of our previous seasons, and that is down to the manager, as much as the players, I hope that today we see us get our form and passion back, and kick on to the end of the season.

Huw has a habit of dropping clangers in the media (Pratley), but I must say, I'm right behind him on this one!..............<ok>

17. DragonPhilljack

Double posts are back I see!.........................<laugh>

18. Norway-jack

I don't disagree 100% Dragon , there have been some weird things gone on between them two/board .

What I don't like irrelevant of wheather laudrup is right or wrong is Huw Jenkins making bit of a mug of him in the media, we don't need to do things like this .

There is so much stuff the club should be telling us but maintain a media blackout on but they print stuff that has no purpose and has potential to undermine the manager , seems a bit daft nd unnessercery to me .

Huw has a record of saying opposite things to the media anyway, the policy of smoke and mirrors is still alive and well at the liberty I guess <ok>

19. DragonPhilljack

Huw has always gaft to the media as long as I've known him, though he's been very quiet since we arrived in the Premiership, looks like he's finding his old feet again!......................
    please log in to view this image

Lets be honest who hasn't Jenkins disagreed with in the Press?

Sousa
    Martinez
    Pratley
    Robinson
    Bodde
    Forbes

Those are just some I can remember off the top of my head!...................<laugh>

20. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack Well-Known Member

I haven't read the full article, but based on the quotes, I am delighted that this is HJ's attitude to the 40 point /survive first mentality. It's exactly as it should be - believe in yourself, concede nothing, strive for the top. This is the thinking and leadership we need to not only continue to stay in the Prem league, but be a Prem team in the Prem League, and continue our trajectory upwards.

I don't think this is a swipe at ML at all. ML is the sort of top individual who would relish the challenge of taking a team to the highest level. I think this is a statement that would reinforce ML's thinking that he is at the right club, and would be an inducement to prolong his stay. If this is the club's mind set then ML knows he will be backed to build something of high value and world recognition. As an architect of the squad and deliverer in chief of the club's style of play ML's notoriety would only grow with the club.

To me, it's a coupling of focus and intent not a swipe.