1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Hydrogen Engines

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by TIGERSCAVE, May 28, 2023.

1. TIGERSCAVE

TIGERSCAVE Well-Known Member

I know we have some very aware and tech people on here. I watched with interest a YT video of this new engine. So questions, will it be a better option than EV and how long before they overtake (excuse the pun) EV. I see a similar problem to EV's in the filling up locations/ points...

Real ale tiger likes this.
  2. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

They’ve been around for years, I think there’s a lot of misinformation out there. At the end of the day if they were really so viable they would already be popular amongst consumers. The fact that they’re not tells you no carmaker thinks they will be particularly profitable.

3. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

To an extent, but car manufacturers have to keep a close eye on what Governments are promoting, or they would be stuck with the cost of installing the infrastructure.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  4. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

I believe there's a big issue to overcome regarding infrastructure. Hydrogen needs a lot of space for storage, it's expensive to build this storage and then it needs expensive kit to transport it to where it's needed. You can't just stick it in ordinary tankers and deliver it to your local petrol station, probably talking about pressurised pipelines and that sort of stuff. Huge investment costs.

5. Amin Yapusi

Amin Yapusi Well-Known Member

I think the biggest issue is it just can’t be made efficiently on a mass scale without huge energy loss. You might as well just power a vehicle off the other energy source.

6. SW3 Chelsea Tiger

SW3 Chelsea Tiger Well-Known Member

I didn’t know this

7. bradymk2

bradymk2 Well-Known Member

this is actually the sort of question for big vern

he has vast amounts of knowledge and research in this area

8. Sumatran_Tiger

Sumatran_Tiger Well-Known Member

He produces methane and also hot air

TwoWrights and Idi Amin like this.
  9. x

x Well-Known Member

attempts have been made to produce it using local energy sources such as wind turbines or solar. these appear to work and fit the green agenda very well. it makes more sense to have some sort of pod filled with hydrogen that can just be inserted into the car. used pods can be returned to have more hydrogen put in. they're probably called fuel cells. research appears to be going okay, but i've no idea about scaling production up.

there are some car manufacturers that are resistant to the electric approach. including honda and bmw. net zero isn't going to happen when ignorant brainwashed politicians decree it; it's going to take tech advances. bmw has a major voice in what the eu ultimately does.

DMD likes this.
  10. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

That depends. As others have mentioned it can be produced on site, and if it is used directly, the losses are nothing like the same as when it used for a fuel cell, and even that can be mitigated depening how it is produced.

11. tigers1970

tigers1970 Well-Known Member

Cant beat a diesel van

12. CarlisleTigerII

CarlisleTigerII Active Member

mush rather have a hydrogen engine than these electric ****e -hydrogen engine aint gonna land you with a 5-10 k bill for a new battery an indeterminate number of years down the line because the knob who owned it from new could only bother to fast charge it so it ****s up the battery life- er no ta

13. Heimdallr

Heimdallr Well-Known Member

I don't know much about hydrogen engines, but I'm guessing it's unlikely that they'll be mass produced in the next 15 years due to the billions spent by governments and car manufacturers on EV investing now.

The EV drive systems are essentially the same, so you're paying for the build, the marque and the extras.... But the main thing is the battery - which are increasing in quality hugely. Mine is over 9 years old and has been exclusively fast charged, due to it being free. The charging capacity is 92% of what it was new - that's not much of a loss over this period.

There is the environmental question about the cobalt and lithium, plus the copper needed for the charging network.

But not sure why worth getting wedded to either or.. they're a tool, just have to buy what suits you best.

PLT likes this.
  14. x

x Well-Known Member

they'll be using sodium instead of lithium in the not too distant. there's more of it and it doesn't need little kids poisoning themselves in the suppy line. the few countries with lithium lying around will see their income fall, but their kids might live longer. there's doubt about the relative greenness of ev vehicles compared to petrol/diesel ones anyway. there's also some research involving taking co2 from the atmosphere and h2 and o2 from water electrolysis and making a clean version of petrol. again, it's the scaling up that needs looking at, but potentially that could keep ice vehicles on the roads and in production.

15. oldman

oldman Well-Known Member

There are currently around 14 Hydrogen refuelling stations in the UK. Chicken and egg but until this improves Hydrogen cars will not be feasible on a wide scale. The energy required to produce Hydrogen then convert back into usable energy, including fuel cells and internal combustion engines, for vehicles is less efficient than petrochemical processes. Providing Hydrogen is produced using renewable energy (Green), or utilises Carbon capture (Blue), it's the best way to decarbonise transport until EVs can be made from more sustainable materials, Sodium being a good example, and charged with fully renewable power plus battery weights/performance improved drastically. I'd certainly be happy to go Hydrogen when supplies of Green H2 are cheaper and more accessible and refuelling infrastructure improved.

HebridesTiger likes this.
  16. Der Alte

Der Alte Well-Known Member

I was talking to a chap who had originally worked for Croda and he said they'd successfully converted some company cars to run on hydrogen years ago. Apparently it was a great success but the patents were bought by major oil companies who promptly suppressed further development.

17. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Oil companies filed loads of patents for all sorts of technologies (mainly for electric vehicles) in the 60's to try and block them, but it's a very inefficient way of doing things, as you can only get a patent on a specific product or process and they only last twenty years anyway.