1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I agree with Schumacher !!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ErnieBecclestone, Apr 23, 2012.

1. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

Are you reading that correctly, Ernie? Haug says he understands Schumacher's viewpoint "but you are always having to economise" (i.e. Formula 1 racing is always about making compromises and balancing different factors), which may or may not be in a racer's nature. Basically, Schumacher's wrong if he thinks F1 is about bombing round at 100%.

However you choose to read it, that remark doesn't say it all. Your selective quote ignores Haug's main point that because of the tyres Formula 1 is a very good product. <ok>

2. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

Product yes, sport? No.

3. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

So when they replace tyres "if they do", people will then complain about drivers having to turn down engines during races, then it will be something about fuel shouldn't have to be managed. Then when that's sorted they'll complain about the gearboxes being limited "my driver couldn't attack because they have to last 5 races" soon after that it will be something about suspension being too limited "the suspension doesn't fit the agressive driver anymore" and then Finally! we will come full circle again like 2years ago, complaining about overtaking being a issue and that we want more action, blah blah!

Next time though Pirelli might tell us to piss off if thats going to be the case.

4. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Let me summarise thusly: If you want to watch so-called "proper" racing then go watch the go-karting.

F1 is too complicated, too meticulously strategised and planned, too technologically advanced, to ever contain 24 drivers all giving it 100% ever again. This is a simple fact that began in the early 2000s and has continued pretty much ever since. However, in exchange, we now have proper wheel-to-wheel racing once more, plenty of overtaking, and races that aren't over by the first corner - mostly due to a few technological rules that bunch the pack up (Well, except Abu Dhabi). Quite frankly if you're still complaining then you will never be satisfied. Occasionally you have to be pleased with what we have right now. Two years ago we witnessed the Bahrain Grand Prix, the first grand prix since the return of the refuelling ban, and there was practically no overtaking, no excitement in the pits - it was a nothing race! People were terrified that the supposed plan to take strategy out of the pits had had the opposite effect.

What springs to my mind immediately about that race, however, is the fact that even on the then extremely durable Bridgestones people still complained that it was a sport primarily about tyre management. And that is always going to be the truth. Right now, F1 is exciting again. Just enjoy it every once in a while.

5. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

TomTom, for your information I have been following F1 since the mid sixties attended my first F1 race in 71 and even used to race '100 Britain' class karts in the seventies and therefore need no suggestion from you as to where and how to watch 'proper' racing.

We do not have proper wheel to wheel racing with the Pirelli tyres its a silly compromise along with DRS and to a lesser degree KERs although I can see the sense in the use of Energy Recovery.

I have attended virtully all british GPs from 71 to 94 and at various locations, mainly Europe over 50 years and I know in
    my opinion what I am watching today is not satisfactory.

6. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Then start proposing a solution instead of sounding like a stuck record.

7. ErnieBecclestone

Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres, Why not try durable tyres,

Or are the words too complicated for you ?

8. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you want less durable tyres?

9. Masanari

Masanari Active Member

Because they are boring and take away driver skill.

10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Well they make one skill less important but another more important.

The compromise I would want is tyres that get slower and slower but don't fall off a cliff. I certainly don't want the sort of performance the Bridgestones had but I would like it if you could try and make tyres last for 30 odd laps whilst your teamate does 15 laps, stops and then does another 15 laps hunting you down.

11. Delete Me

Opps I made a major lock up, but no worries my tyres are bulletproof...

*Lap 1 complete*

12. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If they went round like that not even the old Bridgestone's would have lasted <laugh>
    I'm fine with the degredation and how easily they can be flat spotted, just not the huge cliff.

13. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

me too, and the size and amount of 'marble-ing'. I used to love watching the guys on the C compounds chansing the 0 stopper A tyre users, that was exciting IMO, the tyres would wear down gradually getting slightly worse over time, but the cliff is just ridiculous

14. Delete Me

I say give these Pirelli's at least half a season before jumping on the Schumi wagon, foaming at the mouth saying drivers are going 50% the whole way since the same **** was said last year. Just because Schumi and another 1 or 2 drivers say they can't go full out, doesn't mean the rest are doing the same because Kimi and Seb were sure as hell weren't coasting at Bahrain, seb wouldnt have to stop at the end if he was coasting.

It's well known the Mercedes chews up its tyres more than others so maybe they should of sorted that flaw out rather than messing around with that double DRS all those months ago. I might have SilverArrow in my name but that's their problem if they can't do the same like RBR, Lotus, Force India and Sauber, these guys can maintain tyres and still go quick and overtake others around them most of the race.

So the tyres arn't the problem, maybe its the car or driver that is the acutual flaw and they just cant be bothered to sort it out, so they just blame others for their own incompetence to keep the big shots quiet for a few more weeks.

These guys should just "man up" like the yanks always say...

15. ErnieBecclestone

I believe he means F1 is a good product, which it obviously is, not specifically the tyres, now back to my main point, I remember historically virtually all F1 drivers bar none talking in terms of driving their races at 'ten/tenths' 'on the limit' some-one I dont remember who even quoted eleven/tenths, generally meaning on the limit of adhesion, just holding the car on the track during cornering with a gradual deterioration of adhesion until the tyre was worn through to the canvas and even bursting in the extreme, not that want to see that again, but I do want 'ten/tenths' racing.

I've seen winning cars with the canvas showing through.

These tyres allowed for much more exciting racing than we are seeing currently.

I would like a tyre that allows for the more aggressive style and less emphasis on the perfect balance neutral type of driver, who in my opinion has a slight unfair advantage with these bloody Pirellis.

I wonder how Villenuve, no not Jack, Jones, Hunt, Hill, Brabham, Stewart, Sheckter, Fittipaldi, Andretti, Senna, Mansell, Montoya to name just a few, would have got on with these silly not even rubber things.

16. Delete Me

Fangio with the likes of Moss, Farina and Ascari etc.. would of just accepted the situation and still tried to beat the rest on circuit and cracked on with it.

Drivers bitching today on why they cant attack as much as they used to just means they were always too dependent on the tyres in the first place and I'm glad they cracked down on this. It always masked the overral talent in the field as they left it to their cars and just slammed the brakes on whenever they got near a corner. Any driver could get in a top car and chuck it around, thats just down to a racing brain, reflex's and physical strength in my opinion.

Pirelli have opened up a whole new field of options that the drivers have to adapt around and yet people say is targetting the aggressive drivers? If these drivers are truely as good as their fanbase say they're then they will eventually get round these issues and prove it.

This isn't about who is aggressive and who is not, this is meant to challenge the drivers out of their comfort zone and punish those that cant be consistent over the weekend, some are swimming, some are drowning and others are sinking to the bottom. For me it's just showing who was dependent on those Bridestones all those years and who wasn't.

17. ErnieBecclestone

Bridgestones, who mentioned Bridgestones !!!!

18. Delete Me

He did:

please log in to view this image

19. EternalMSC

EternalMSC Well-Known Member

But why the need for KERS and DRS if tyres are already a variable in racing? Racing as I have said before is/should be (MAN+CAR vs. TRACK).
    Not (MAN+CAR+KERS) -(TYRE DEGREDATION-DRS FOR THE DRIVER BEHIND-KERS) vs. TRACK.

20. ErnieBecclestone

I guess from this remark, you have never personally experienced any competitive form of motorsport.