1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

I agree with Schumacher !!!

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by ErnieBecclestone, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ErnieBecclestone

ErnieBecclestone Well-Known Member

YES, why should the following driver gain a massive DRS advantage over the preceding car by managing to get within 1 sec at a specific point on the track, why not use it anywhere or not at all, its contrived overtaking just to boost the viewing figures.

2. genjigonzales

genjigonzales Active Member

If Ernie's talking about the days when F1 wasn't so aero-dependent and mechanical grip counted for something then I can respect that opinion but those days aren't coming back. If he's talking about the processional decade or so we had under refuelling where the only position changes were achieved in the pit stops then good riddance. Throttle and brake should not be on/off switches in F1. This is where the new tyres are and should be challenging drivers.

3. Delete Me

Delete Me Well-Known Member

Apart from go-karts and a turn in a Honda Pilot, I'm not that rich ernie.

Oh and a porsche offroader a few years back, that was fun!

4. TomTom94

TomTom94 Well-Known Member

Just a question, do you want a return to the early 2000s era or something else? Because I'm pretty sure you will agree with me that it was dull as ****.

5. ErnieBecclestone

I don't particularly want to return to any era, and your'e right the 2000s were as dull as ****, I want a formula where the the out and out racer's can drive their cars without silly restrictions, personally I would like a choice 1.6 V6 turbos, 2.5 V8 with KERs, a suitable diesel electric engine would be allowed, FIA designated front and rear wings with DRS with monitored maximum downforce, manual gear box and clutch, free brake choice, no power steering, DRS to be used wherever the driver chooses, obviously one single type of durable control tyre that degrade's gradually and could even last a whole race dependant upon driver style, refuelling as required with minimum stop times can change tyres at same time, no active suspension or launch controls, reduction in the minimum weight of the car, pit whenever you like. Just for starters.

6. di Fredsta!

di Fredsta! Well-Known Member

Not too many changes then? Ever the optimist. :)

7. ErnieBecclestone

Fred, pessimistic optimist, me mate, or maybe pissed optometrist at this time of night.

8. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

F1 has become quite gimmicky with these tyres, DRS, KERS and the rules restricting defending.

Yes, races may be more mixed up, but it's all artificial. When tyres have to be crafted to enhance the racing by having a short life and a massive performance drop off, it's nothing but a band-aid. As are the overtaking aids and rules.

It also seems attitudes to racing have changed. After watching the Indy race from Alabama recently, there was a ton of full contact racing and defending and only one stewards investigation that I recall and that went without penalty. Better than nearly all F1 races in recent history.

9. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

Ernie, did you mention Diesel, Electric and F1 in the same sentence? turn your face away from the class and don the hat.

10. SgtBhaji

lolz!! :D

11. genjigonzales

All racing is artificial. As soon as you put a pair of shoes on a man, the racing becomes artificial. In principle, commissioning the supplier to manufacture high-deg tyres is no different to running high-grip qualifying slicks or race-life grooves. It's just a matter of where you draw the line. Indycar also has spec tyres, along with spec engines, spec chassis, spec body kits and so on - it's no less artificial.

12. ErnieBecclestone

Yes, sorry mate, but included diesel electric KERs for those that think we can influence the future of the planet, which is another story of course.

13. Delete Me

Maybe F1 should go back to the style of racing in the mid 80's, tyres that would fall off if you pushed it far too hard or overheated them a ton over 50 laps. Kers and DrS are the turbo and leave fuel management to drivers who dare to use more. No mandatory pitstops if you can make it to the end as the tyre can last to the end if managed properly so the aggressive drivers will just have to pit again if they are incapable of doing so. No marbles could please a minority of the fan base who feel that now affects overtaking.

So if Senna can lead, win and make a title charge in a lotus by pacing himself for the best result, in that version of F1, there should be no problem for the likes of Schumacher and Lewis.

14. genjigonzales

I realise you're neither being serious nor dealing with reality there but there's no going back. With F1 utterly dominated by aerodynamics (far, far in excess of any effect the tyres, engines, sporting regs, DRS or KERS have) the objectives now have to be focused around how to diminish that dominance and increase the effect of other areas. It's laughable that the likes of Martin Brundle simplistically claim that the tyres have too much of an effect on results simply because airflow management is invisible to him; laughable and dangerous because Pirelli are doing no more or less than what the sport asked them to do.

15. Delete Me

I was making a comparison with the past genji, but I agree with you fully, there's no going back to the past.

16. ErnieBecclestone

Silver, that's more like it, any combination thereof.

The way F1 is heading at the moment we very soon won't need a driver the bloody car could drive itself, the entire device controlled by electronics, following a conductor buried in the tarmac or even SatNav, then we could all be 'entertained' by which team has the smartest programmers who can best optimise the Pirellis.

17. u408379965

u408379965 Well-Known Member

This. People complain about Kers, DRS and tyre degradation - the most ridiculous suggestion of the lot by the way, there's nothing more artificial than tyres that don't degrade <laugh> - of being too artificial. But they don't complain about about brake bias adjustments or gear shifting which are surely artificial in the same way that Kers and DRS are? If you want to see cars racing where they just brake, accelerate and steer with completely unrealistic and simplified physics, just watch nerds racing online and leave actual motorsport to the real men. <ok>

18. SgtBhaji

I don't think it's ridiculous to have an opinion and I should have been more specific in that overtaking is mostly artificial.

I'm just not a fan of it and not entirely sure these if these fixes really fix anything or just mask the issues with modern F1 cars.

19. Delete Me

20. genjigonzales

I read a similar article yesterday.

EDIT: And today, via JA on F1, Pirelli's response: