1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If the season ends today, do Leeds deserve to get promoted?

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Apr 4, 2020.

1. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I see no reason why this season can’t be completed , there is no need to use any formula, play the games . If adjustments need to be made to seasons going forward so be it , they can be agreed before the season starts and everyone will know what they are.

2. blonogasoven

blonogasoven Well-Known Member

I think we need to finish this season. If we write it off and start next season then the virus reappears next Winter what do we do? Write that season off too?
    My opinion on the virus is that we're in the middle of "the end of the World is Nigh" media furore. It's all there is on the news.
    The key will be mass testing. As soon as we know who has had it we can start to plan around that. After that we will need a vaccine but that could be a long way off.
    The country, no matter football, cannot sustain this lock down for too long. People need to eat and pay bills.

Testing, please!

AshtonRed likes this.
  3. AshtonRed

Why can’t this season be concluded on the pitch ? . It will take 4,weeks to play the matches once we are up and
    Running and a further couple to play the play offs etc . Then next season can start immediately if necessary , but the important thing is to complete this one first.

4. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

But it will be same for every club so that levels the playing field

Supcon72 likes this.
  5. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

If the crisis is over soon then yes, you’d be right. I personally think that it won’t be over until August or even later- but the reality is nobody knows. I based my guess on the fact that China went into lockdown at the beginning of January and only came out last week - that’s 3 months - and we are on track to suffer worse than they did, so let’s say 4 months then that means back to normal in August.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  6. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Not really.
    Some players have 1 or 2 players out of contract, others have 10/11 or 17 in Charlton's case.

7. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Are you two in some sort of echo chamber?

8. TC (Lovely Geezer)

Eh?

9. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

That's better

10. AshtonRed

How ever long it takes the principle is still the same , finish this season before starting next . The only justification for not doing so is possibly if a number of clubs go under, that could put a whole new complexion on it, but otherwise I don’t see any justification for any other approach , depending how long it is before we start playing again we may have to make adjustments to following seasons but we can address that issue once we know the exact dates involved.

11. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

The season should be finished no matter what, even if next season is delayed as a result. (I mean we are 2.5 years away from the World Cup being played in December so maybe we can shift the seasons accordingly)

however, this is where I’m in the minority, but I believe if the season cannot be finished, we should finalize the tables on a points per game played basis. That would mean Liverpool win the title, bottom 3 go down. Leeds west brom and Fulham go up (cancel the playoffs) Etc etc.

We’ve played 80% of the season, and I think that is far enough in to draw conclusions; teams should be judged on their performances so far. Norwich, villa, and Bournemouth were not good enough in the games we have played, and Liverpool have certainly proved themselves worthy of the title.

I recognize this will never happen due to the legality and the massive amounts of money that eclipses the footballing aspect of it all.

what would have been very interesting for me is if Liverpool had mathematically won the title; if they cancelled the season at that point would they still have still awarded them the title? We will never know.

wakeybreakyheart and ristac like this.
  12. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Freeze to death?

13. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Agreed testing must start can they detect it after a person gets better therefore immune.

14. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

There is IMHO zero chance of the season being either voided or finish as it is now.

That would be wrong on every count both morally and legally.

Until there are absolute mathematical certainties of a promotion or relegation in every league the season has to finish.

If a man can get to the moon then the Football authorities can surely come up with a truncated one off version for next season if there’s insufficient time to complete a whole season.

There’s too much football as it is so the League Cup, the lower league cups, the Europa League, FA Cup replays could be cancelled for a season.

Play offs could be cancelled for one season with top 3 going up in EFL leagues.

As for international games, the Nations League can be dispensed with as well as friendlies.

15. TC (Lovely Geezer)

It's all about the timing.
    If this season can be finished before the 30th June then all well and good.
    If not, it has to be voided.

16. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

It doesn’t have to be voided. British open golf cancelled but being played next year at same venue. No hurry to finish anything at moment

ristac likes this.
  17. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

whilst as a fan I agree, the cup sponsors would say otherwise.

18. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

Not comparable. Golf is played on an individual basis, football is a team game with players whose contracts run out.

19. esteponawhite

esteponawhite Well-Known Member

Would it not be possible to give players mini contracts i.e. 2 months to finish the season?
    Next season does not have to start in August, something has to give these are not normal circumstances, but as allways money will call the shots.

Eireleeds1 and Whitejock like this.
  20. JonnyLosAngeles

JonnyLosAngeles Well-Known Member

I expect world football to do just that! Impose an extension of all contracts to enable the completion of many of the national leagues.

Eireleeds1 likes this.