1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If Wigan Athletic retained the FA Cup...

Discussion in 'Wigan' started by HP Sauce, Mar 14, 2014.

1. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

OK, I accept completely that we are hugely unlikely to beat Arsenal. We were 20s with some bookies to beat Man City and that was probably not unfair. I expect us to be about the same again at Wembley. The wide open spaces, and the focus which they will surely bring to the game will overwhelm us. But I'd balance that a little with the fact that the Wigan players have showed already in this run to the semi that they will give their all in defence of the trophy. It clearly means everything to them.

So, dreaming a little here, if we did beat Arsenal, and avoided the pretty obvious pitfall of then getting beat in the final by United or Hull, and we did manage to retain the FA Cup - where would that rate in sporting achievements? Because to my mind, any club can win the FA Cup, with a good draw and a bit of luck and some commitment and endeavour from the players. But to retain it - particularly a club of our size, in the Championship, with our resources... that's surely up there with some of the greatest achievements in sport? That's Lasse Viren or Mo Farrah. It's the European Ryder Cup team on the last day. It's Lauda coming back from retirement to win the F1 championship. It's out of the realms of football success and into the realms of sporting triumph.

And it's clearly just a romantic fantasy. But at least the Cup and romance can still get mentioned in the same sentence.

2. fromthestands

fromthestands Member

Come on HP show a little faith because when we beet Man City in there own back yard as it were the money spent there team came to £285.7million were's the latics price came to £16.3 but what we lacked in money we made up in faith by all the screaming latics fans behind the goal's. And every man and his dog nose that bookies never give fair odds anyway. :emoticon-0140-rofl:

Keep the faith

3. Matth_2014

Matth_2014 Well-Known Member

A Nick Powell winner will be great.

4. HP Sauce

HP Sauce Active Member

I'll keep the faith From, don't you worry mate.. :)