1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

If you won the Euro Lottery . . . .

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gordon Armstrong, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Obviously not enough to buy and fund a football club, but what would you like to spend all that lovely lolly on/how would your life change ?

I don't want a yacht or a chauffeur driven roller, I've got a nice house, but I'd like a better 'self-built' one with a beautiful garden and a gardener to look after it properly.

I'd give an awful lot away, to help others, and I'd, naturally, help close family and friends.

I'd also buy a house in Florida and one in Spain and/or France to use as holiday homes for those above.

Two things that Mrs. A and I have wanted to do for over 20 years, but never could . . . .

1) Open a toy library for disabled children, where toys (and books) could be exchanged as regularly as necessary because 'special' people generally need more stimulation than most.

2) Open a tea room to cater for everyone, that would be 'manned' mainly by disabled kids and adults to allow them to work when otherwise they wouldn't be able to.

Some might want to do a Viv Nicholson (Football Pools winner) and have a 'spend, spend' spend' spree, but those are some of my dreams :emoticon-0148-yes:

2. rooch 3

rooch 3 Well-Known Member

I think you would find giving an awful lot away to help others is a lot harder than it sounds, especially with today’s society.<ok>

Daz and Chunksafc like this.
  3. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

There are lots of charities that would be appreciative, Rooch.

Having said that, I have done quite a few 'charity bike rides' and given hardly any of the proceeds to any charity . . . . it's nearly all gone to a special school in Hebburn before they became a charity (hence the 'hardly any'), and some to 'Cancer Connections' in 'Sheels.

When we first started we considered doing the rides on behalf of The Downs Syndrome Association, but they're based in London and nobody that we know would 'see a penny of that money' so we did them for that local school where we could see some benefit :emoticon-0148-yes:

n.b. we started this annual event over 20 years ago and the last one was 6 years ago, I think, so some mentality will have changed, in reference to your 'today's society.'

COYCS, Snaggey, malagamackem and 2 others like this.
  4. rooch 3

I was thinking more of that couples book they wrote after they won £117,000,000 on the lottery, they decided they were going to help everyone they could mainly with very cheap or free loans to set up their businesses, it didn’t take them long to realise a huge proportion of them were bent as ninebob bits and scammers. They found the cost and stress of admin trying to find who was legitimate wasn’t worth the effort.
    I believe what you want to do is great though and I would love to do it myself. Funny story, the other day there was a lad rummaging through the bin in our local garage so I asked him if he would like a butty and he said yes, as I walked in the garage he shouted mate don’t get me pork I’m a Muslim chicken is ok though<laugh> I thought Jesus I wouldn’t care what religion I was if I was hungry I’d eat the Muslim if there was nowt else<laugh>

5. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

We would set up a riding / equestrian / sports / activities facility for disabled and disadvantaged kids, ideally a free to use facility that schools, youth clubs etc can use.

When you look at the euromillions at £120 million, I'm positive after getting a nice house built, sorting out friends and family I would still have £80 to £100 million left. £20 million to build the facility, ££30 million to fund it for at worst 30 years. That would still leave £30million to "live" on

6. rooch 3

It would also be a fantastic feeling for yourself as well<ok> I don’t think there is anything nicer than doing things for people.

7. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Buy RTG and shut it down.

8. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

I would buy a skip full of maltesers, mini chocolate eggs, and jelly feckin' wellys....to keep the little grand kid away from my laptop.

She's a right feckin' Fraggle...

Gil T Azell, gelders pie and rooch 3 like this.
  9. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

Illinois participates in two multistate lotteries. A recent jackpot was over $1 billion. At the very least, I would have bought donald out.

10. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

It would all go to my children

Gil T Azell likes this.

11. rooch 3

£50 a piece then<laugh><laugh>

Gil T Azell and Vincemac like this.
  12. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

I think everyone would like to think they would use it for good, but I think the biggest problem would be the awkwardness of having all that money and people knowing. I seen an 18 yearold lass on This Morning who had won a million. She was able to by a home for mam, herself, nice car etc. Treated her friends etc, but after a while when she would go out with "Friends" for a meal ect, she was just expected to pay everytime, for everything. So called friends and family took the piss. When she questioned them as to why they were exploiting her and pretty much using her, all of a sudden she had changed and became the arsehole according to pals. I suppose at 18, they didn't realise that their friend had a chance to live comfortably for the rest of her life if she used the money sensibly. Instead they pretty much told her to f**k off.

Anyway,I'd find out what children needed 100k for an operation in America. Sort them out, then ask the surgeon how they feel about how much life saving operations that they can perform costs stupid money that only the very few can afford

Funny thing money like.

COYCS, Gil T Azell, Daz and 3 others like this.
  13. flandersmackem

flandersmackem Well-Known Member

Buy Mrs Flanders cooking lessons....would take a huge win tho

COYCS, SAFCDRUM, Gil T Azell and 4 others like this.
  14. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Yes, that young girl is exactly what can happen to a person, exactly what other people can be like. I once had a pub discussion with a lad who was adamant that it wouldn't change him, that he'd carry on as normal. I said that he'd have no choice, whilst he may think he was the same, his life would be different and he'd have no control. Go for equality and give nothing to anyone, your a miser , everyone hates you. Give to a few, then it's why not me as well, give everyone but different amounts, problems. Say you'll buy the drinks for a week, then afterwards it's ''huh, he expects us to take our turn buying a round. Don't tell anyone you've won and your a liar - and how do you explain that all of a sudden you have a Ferrari on your low wage or having just packed your job in.
    I opted for putting my £50 million in an offshore account and telling not a sole.

oh bugger !!!

Chunksafc and Gordon Armstrong like this.
  15. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Depending on how much it was I wouldn’t go too daft and I certainly wouldn’t go public no matter how much.

Make sure my family and closest friends were comfortable and open a trust for the kids.

Executive box at the stadium for friends and family

Nice house here, not too big. Apartment in New York and a place in the sun somewhere.

Golden top hat with matching cane and monocle which I would wear daily in Jackie Whites market.

16. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I would buy a Porsche 959, and a Pontiac Judge. Get them both delivered the same day and then hand the rest over to my wife <laugh>

Seriously I would look after family, setup some free to use 4g pitches, and support local community groups. I wouldnt be shy though in spoiling myself, as above, and the best holidays money can buy.

gelders pie and Chunksafc like this.
  17. Chip

Chip Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t tell a soul and would immediately retire and sod off abroad and live a quiet but relatively luxurious life. When I got bored I would buy a house elsewhere in the world and give living there a go. Would probably start off on the US of A and move about at will seeing where was best.

Daz and gelders pie like this.
  18. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Can't say I've give this much thought but I would buy a good house, a **** hot car for me and whatever the missus wanted, an executive box to watch the lads and a taxi on speed dial so we don't need to drive, a lodge somewhere scenic with a hot tub and winters away to watch the cricket - Aus and West Indies are on my bucket list. That's after the kids are taken care of and a fund set up for the grandson for when he's old enough. And all that after I told my work to shove their job up their arse. Hey what do you know, I have thought about it!!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    Chunksafc and farnboromackem like this.
  19. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Would be great to know that all my family would be financially secure.

20. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Seeing family ok is obviously a common intention, RAW's post above reminds me. It made me think though if I'm going to give money away, who to ? I'm from a very small family, I used to look at friends and see they had more aunts and uncles or cousins than I had entire relatives. After sister and nephew, there's only a few left and I'm not inclined to give them anything ( no animosity, just don't think they deserve a handout as they've spent their lives taking in various ways).
    So, I'd prefer to look at the people who have been good friends or have put themselves out for me when I needed them. Think I'll make a list , it could be an interesting excercise.

p.s. be nice to me, you never know what numbers i might pick !!