1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Ins, Outs, Rumours & Tosh. Summer 2019.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Feb 20, 2019.

1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly what I was saying to my son last night (and as I've advocated on this thread back around July) re Godfrey and the others who ALL chose to stay and have the chance to play every week. They could then double their transfer fee and starting salary.

His and ALL the other players' agents must be rubbing their hands with glee and planning their next house move/luxury car purchase/luxury holiday.

RiverEndRick likes this.
  2. Nigel Stephens

Nigel Stephens Active Member

And this is my big problem with football, clubs like ours have a glass ceiling and the fear is that we have possibly reached ours at this point. DF and the team behind the scenes have worked incredibly hard to get us to our current standing with the genuine possibility of retaining Premiership status at the end of the season. However, if we then have our top young players picked off the challenge of survival becomes very difficult if not impossible.
    There is a counter-argument that says that we will then cherry pick off other lower clubs to steady our ship and that lower club will have itself reached their own limit. This may well be the case to a degree, but the financial shadows cast by the biggest clubs in our league are making the sport like as closed shop and is that what we as supporters really want. The bigger clubs are spending more and more such as Man Utd's £80m on Harry Maguire and certain players on £300k per week. At some point this has to stop. We have just seen Bury go bust and Bolton very close, Huddersfield are plummeting at a rate of knots and Coventry have not got a proper home, this has to stop!

zogean_king, ncgandy and Walsh.i.am like this.
  3. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Sadly, I don't see it stopping anytime soon, thanks to the OBSCENE amount that is floating around in football - not only with Sky's involvement, but the owners of the likes of the top 6 clubs and it's just in England either!!

Nigel Stephens likes this.
  4. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Can't see him leaving us this season unless on a sale & loan back, but whether we go down of stay up we are going to lose a couple of our promising youngsters.

I'm sure knowing Webber that the club will have plenty of plans in place to replace all our players.

So if the money and timing is right then we should sell and use the money to invest in the next Godfrey.

This is the Southampton model

ncgandy likes this.
  5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Exactly canario.
    I remember a few years ago and some of us were wishing we could emulate Saints, but Supers felt we were years away from that.
    Now however, thanks to Ed and Tom bringing in SW/DF and his staff, we have reached that point.
    Next summer, I feel that several of our 'rising stars' will want to leave regardless of which division we find ourselves in and who can blame them if the 'Price is Right'.

ncgandy, zogean_king and canary-dave like this.
  6. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

I believe Godfrey has the same agent as Rio Ferdinand or somehow linked , he appears to be advising him so Man United may came knocking .

Players need to cash in when their stock is highest so you can hardly blame them for leaving smaller clubs.

If we stay up and he Cantwell and Max carry on putting in good performances for England U21s then the World is their oyster.

Very possible that they will stay another season playing regular football.

zogean_king and JM Fan like this.
  7. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I think this is why we recruited 7 promising young players this summer. SW is always thinking several moves ahead.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  8. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

10. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

11. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

canary-dave and ncgandy like this.