1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Ins, Outs, Rumours & Tosh. Summer 2019.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Feb 20, 2019.

1. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

<laugh>:emoticon-0137-clapp

2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Looks like he's a winger of the right rooted variety.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    RiverEndRick and ncgandy like this.
  3. oldcanariesfan

oldcanariesfan Well-Known Member

His feet will be well and truly planted on the ground .......

RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  4. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

Says he tries to emulate (Cristiano) Ronaldo, and can bring goals and assists to the team. Hope he means he has the same type of skills as Ronaldo & not the same type of ego as Ronaldo. Will he be worth £80m+ in a few years time?

5. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

6. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

To be honest, whilst I have a lot of faith in Weber to get the right players in, I would be astounded if the majority of clubs don't have scouting and lists for multiple seasonal outcomes. I think it must be easier for a DoF to have a handle on that list than a manager who has so much more on his plate, but I would be amazed if no sooner had the last summer window and more so the last winter window shut, that all clubs were not planning and scouting for going up/down or staying where they are.
    Where we differ from many is that we now seem like we will be better prepared for a drop if it happens. I doubt we will ever on Webber's watch see a Naismith!

Bah!

Walsh.i.am and JM Fan like this.
  7. General Melchett

Though we might see a Wolfswinky!

Bah!

8. RiverEndRick

I really like SW's practical pragmatic approach:

“We have clear markets that we look at because we genuinely think there’s value there,” he continued. “You look at Buendia when we signed him, we truly believed he could play in the Premier League, and if we are fortunate enough to get to the Premier League it doesn’t mean that we then don’t need to find an Emi, we need to spend £12million on someone we’ve never heard of now, or who’s just been relegated from the Premier League for example. No, let’s go and find another Buendia. That has to be our model because our transfer budget wouldn’t be big compared to our rivals in the Premier League.”

Finally realism prevails at the club. No more PL prima Donnas at exhorbitant prices. The 4-5 players we need are of the Zimmerman, Leitner, Buendia and Pukki mode, because they have potential that has gone under the radar. We also need the right coaching set-up to help those players reach their potential through techniques and tactics and we have that, as well as an academy that can keep churning out top class players.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. RiverEndRick

I don't think we'll ever see SW throwing that kind of money around (but I suspect that RvW would love playing in our present team).

JM Fan likes this.
  10. General Melchett

Whilst there will be a place for such purchases, they were on the Webber 'championship list' and I believe perhaps not what we are going to be after now. The balance has to be towards both improving the squad and the first XI. The players you mention at the very least would need time to get to first team level but may very well not get there due to limited opportunities (Farke doesn't exactly rotate!) So whilst I believe the MO is the same 'have potential that has gone under the radar' but we will need to look a little higher, probably of higher value. Someone who like Leitner has lost their way a little but has exihibited demonstrable class and attribute indicative of readiness for the PL.
    The 4 you mention I would argue are now players who would be toward the bottom of any PL shopping list. Webber will have more wages to and budget to prise theoretically better players from their existing clubs. Look what he's got from £1.5m sugnings and less and Imagine the possibilities of those he can get for £5-10m.
    Afterall when Huddersfield went up they bought Mooy for £8-10m, I would be all but certain that was part of Webber's planning in the event of promotion.

Bah!

11. General Melchett

I actually think RvW is precisely the sort of player and signing we will look to make.

We seemed to steel a march on the competion by signing early (March) (Much like McLean)
    young with bags of potential
    His attitude seemed spot on

What would differ is that Webber will only buy a player that fits our playing style. I think RvW was bought as a player we hoped was as good as the press, that we could make money on as he was on his way up, but with little thought to whether he fitted our system. He didn't and the rest is history.
    The next Pukki will likely not be out of contract, the next Pukki we might not want as old. Webber will have a vastly increased budget (I'm assuming the policy is still to plough in all we can afford to improving the team) I don't think he'll be afraid to use it.

Bah!

Resurgam and DHCanary like this.
  12. RiverEndRick

And what would you judge the present worth of Zimmerman, Leitner, Buendia and Pukki to be? We paid around £3m for all four. I'd guess that to be in excess of £30m.

13. General Melchett

True, it might be argued they might only be PL ready because of having been given time at this level. Buying those 4 who arguably look PL class and ready as you say now might cost £30m. And my hope is that if Webber spends £15-25m that those players experience a similar uplift and next summer we are talking about those four and all the new additions being worth £100m.

Bah!

14. RiverEndRick

I can see your point, but there's also the risk that such signings could go the way of a RvW, who wasn't prepared to play in the Championship, so we ended up losing millions. The other factor is that as a PL team we'll have to pay more, whoever we buy. Another key is that we don't want new players to rock the boat and break up the team spirit. At £7.5m Klose is a good example, with the right spirit and commitment to the team. We have to trust SW to get these things right.

15. DHCanary

DHCanary Very Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I remember reading that RvW was concerned about playing style when NCFC first approached him, but was assured we were looking to build the team around him, and play in a fashion which suited him. Supposedly he was even given specific names of players we wanted to add. Few (if any) of those signings came off, making playing in that style pretty difficult. We tried, it wasn't working, so Hughton went back towards a more direct style and RvW's career essentially ended there.

16. JediCanary

JediCanary Well-Known Member

17. RiverEndRick

Masouras is a logical rumour, with 9 goals in 19 appearances and being very quick (he was a sprinter earlier in his career), but not sure how reliable the source is.

JM Fan and Canary Rob like this.
  18. carrowcanario

carrowcanario Well-Known Member

Any one know what the sell on clause is for Maddison ?

19. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

It will be somewhere between 5-15%. Apparently Coventry’s was 15% so that might be a guide.

One thing the news outlets usually fail to notice is that a sell on clause is sometimes on the profit, not the sale price. So if it’s 10% on Maddison and he goes for £40m, it might be 10% on the difference between c.£25m and £40m (i.e. £15m) so would earn us £1.5m not £4m.

Not always the case but that version of the clause makes some sense.

20. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Forgive me if I'm incorrect here, but I wasn't aware that Jarvis, Naismith, Oliveira etc were all "loans"?
    Unless they mean players that we've loaned out elsewhere, of course? :emoticon-0112-wonde

[Which, looking at the list again, they clearly do! Oops! <doh>]

zogean_king and RiverEndRick like this.