1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic International break video/memory thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Oct 9, 2018.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

In the last few weeks we have found out that Chilco is the original 70s hooligan and Fats is a skate <laugh>

2. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

I was just going to write something similar No7! But you've missed out that Beddy was a Pompey fraterniser (should that be frattoniser?). The things you find out about the most unlikely people eh?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Top stuff Beddy, think I recall you telling the story in London but always good to read again <ok>

4. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

Anyone else wish to unburden themselves...?

5. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

A game i will never forget was against Newcastle at The Dell in 1995 - we were one nil down with about 3 minutes to go and ended up winning 3-1 ! I remember Watson scored the 2nd goal. The old place was rocking ! Me and my other half went to the Rising Sun on Shirley High St on the way home after the game and there was loads of Newcastle and Saints fans in there and good music, and i got so blattered and remember we were all singing Fog on The Tyne at one stage, geordies and mushes together. It was a great night but i had to get up at 0600 next morning to go to LHR to fly out to Guyana to join a ship, feeling like s... but so happy about the game the evening before.

thereisonlyoneno7 and Libby like this.
  6. Libby

Libby 9-0

Great story that mate, wish I was around in the 90s and went to the Dell properly :(

Where was the Rising Sun out of interest?

7. saintalfie

saintalfie Active Member

Dont wish your life away TLL, you will have loads of experiences of your own. Up Shirley High St, think its called the Brass Monkey or something these days. Much changed around there now, Bristol St Motors/Hendy Ford garage used to be just up from the pub but its all new flats there now. Holt & Haskell the sports equipment shop is just opposite and up a bit. I dont live in Shirley any more.

Libby likes this.
  8. Channonfodder

Channonfodder Rebel without a clue.....

Watching Oxo score from a ridiculously angle on his debut, some cold midweek evening, against I forgot who- was it Bournemouth in a cup match? I could see that he was going to be very good, even as 16 year old.

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Brilliant story from Beddy which somehow sums up what being a football fan is all about. In terms of Saints v Pompey rivalry, going back (half?) a generation before Beddy’s take qto just post war, my Dad was a Saints fan in the RN, and whenever his ship docked in Portsmouth he would go to whichever team out of Saints and Pompey was playing at home. It wasn’t that there was no rivalry in those days, it was just that the rivalry was of lesser importance to the actual business of watching live football, which of course you could only do in those days by going to a game. Just imagine going to Fratton to watch Pompey and being recognised as a Saints fan, or vice versa, and not having to be taken to Intensive Care afterwards.

If you think I’m talking about a blue-sky fantasy world, this is what happens at top-flight Rugby matches today, so it is possible for people of violently differing persuasions to coexist (relatively) peacefully.

Libby likes this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Brilliant story from Beddy which somehow sums up what being a football fan is all about. In terms of Saints v Pompey rivalry, going back (half?) a generation before Beddy’s tale to just post war, my Dad was a Saints fan in the RN, and whenever his ship docked in Portsmouth he would go to whichever team out of Saints and Pompey was playing at home. It wasn’t that there was no rivalry in those days, it was just that the rivalry was of lesser importance to the actual business of watching live football, which of course you could only do in those days by going to a game. Just imagine going to Fratton to watch Pompey and being recognised as a Saints fan, or vice versa, and not having to be taken to Intensive Care afterwards.

If you think I’m talking about a blue-sky fantasy world, this is what happens at top-flight Rugby matches today, so it is possible for people of violently differing persuasions to coexist (relatively) peacefully.

Saints_Alive likes this.

11. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

C'mon SS, you're secretly Sammy Saint aren't you....<laugh>

12. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

My first Game at the Dell was just before xmas 1948......Not sure if memory playing tricks but Im sure a certain Ted Bates was playing that Day. It was a belated birthday present from my uncle. He had just been demobbed from the Army and was not happy that my other uncle and granddad (an ardent Pompey fan ex navy) had taken me to Fratton without the opportunity of going down the dell. That was to change..........football every week for quite a while near enough with Granddad and my uncles. Been an ardent Saints fan since.....(well my uncle that was a Saints fan was my favoured uncle) So for me Chilcs it is actually 70 years..........

Edit........my first game at the dell was Saints against Leicester city..............My second was against Doncaster rovers. My cousin saw the above article and checked his dads diary,,,,,,,,, 6th Dec and 13th December by all accounts. I didn't know my uncle kept a diary.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  13. sotonsaint

I don’t think I’d pass the DBS check to be Sammy Saint.<laugh>

Libby and Saints_Alive like this.
  14. sotonsaint

Technically a football related memory...

I think it was the weekend Fifa 17 or 18 came out I had a few mates round as the missus was working, few beers, smoke etc. Standard we decided to go to tesco for some snacks ,we we’re all pretty shot away already and bearing in mind it was only like 3 clock in the afternoon thought it best not to use the staff tills, so thought I’d give the self service ones ago for a change. I’d never really used one before as I’m pretty lazy, it was all going pretty well scanning all the stuff through , chilli Doritos, Oreos, tangfastics, strawberry and cream muffins ... Pretty much drama free thinking this is a piece of piss and then came to the part where I had to concentrate hard to pay for the stuff. Put my card in , doesn’t work , take it out , back in it it goes , still doesn’t work, **** sake stupid thing ! tried a couple more times and still nothing. Clearly puzzled , and with my mates having got distracted have pissed off and left me only my own by this point ,I’m in deep trouble. The chuckling has stopped and the worry and paranoia has kicked in as a pretty sizable que starts forming beside me .Clearly in distress I turn into Homer Simpson and start bashing every button on the screen in hope I will somehow stop the imminent meltdown. Having failed again, I’m really tripping out as I clock the attractive girl (8/10) with the headset on now start to take notice of the utter chaos unfolding on checkout 4 and starts to bowl on over ... “hiya ,having trouble I see, anything I can assist you with” ... erm yea I think your machines broken ive been stood here ages and it won’t accept my card.. “ smiles, no problem you’re not the first and I’m sure you won’t be the last ,mind if I have try for you “ yea go for it ( hands over my card) , she turns , pauses, turns back and looks at me like I’m the biggest melt ever “ you do realise you’ve been trying to pay with your driving license?”

And I’ve not been back in there since!

15. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

My friend was berating a cash machine when I pointed out she was trying to withdraw money with her bus pass<laugh>

thereisonlyoneno7 and sotonsaint like this.
  16. sotonsaint

So easily done Fran! So easily done!

17. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah it was Bournemouth in a cup match, well remembered! Can't find a clip though sadly.

18. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

That Chamberlain goal is at the start of this (wasn't in the League but still), it wasn't a tight angle though you might be mixing it up with Daggers & Redders?

Saints_Alive and Libby like this.
  19. Libby

Libby 9-0

Sash kit :emoticon-0152-heart

fatletiss likes this.
  20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

One of my favourite memories is the FA Cup replay v Sheffield Wednesday in 1984 at The Dell. A Steve Williams screamer in a 5-1 win after they battered us 0-0 in the first game!

Saints_Alive likes this.