1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is a top ten finish are target now? And..

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Welshie, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToonSi

ToonSi Active Member

This. I'd love for us to get to Europe, but think next season might just be a bit too soon - we need to consolidate first as I'd hate for us to get second season syndrome through playing too many games!

2. originallad

originallad Member

I'd be gutted if we only finish 17th now. I know premiership survival is the most important thing but, looking at the teams around us, we should be aiming for top ten.

3. Freddd

Freddd Well-Known Member

What should be our target ?

Europe. We are 1 point off 7th with a game in hand. No other team around us is obviously better than us. It would be frankly mad to not make it our goal to maintain our position.

What is a realistic expectation ?

Above 12th. The league is so tight that there is only a couple of points between the middle 4 or 5 teams. Gyan's looping rebound and Lennon's last minute equaliser are the sort of thing which can mean dropping half a dozen places.

I'd be disappointed with lower than 12th at this point

4. awoodnewc

awoodnewc Member

I wouldn't want europe, just a solid top ten finish...if teams like stoke,bolton or sunderland get into europe there league form will suffer those teams will have no chance in europe so it will benefit us next yearx

5. simonbh7

simonbh7 Active Member

I totally agree. We will not have the strength in depth to cope with a European campaign. I have said all along that I would be happy with 17th and won't relax until we hit 40 points, however, if we did manage a top 10 finish it would help to attract better players in the summer. Assuming of course that Mike Ashley wants to spend the cash.

6. TheMightyToon

TheMightyToon Member

Personally i think we should have a 'cheeky' go at the top 7. But top 10 would be a fantastic achievement in our first season back. If we finished 17th now, i would be furious and would want the board sacked, the manager sacked and some lad working in sports direct just to add insult to injury.

7. Geordie Monkey

we could push for Europe and really should, however second season syndrome and european competition in addition to our domestic features coupled with the size of our squad could be disastrous.

8. ToonSi

ToonSi Active Member

I've already said my piece on this article, but Leazes or MightyMagpies, please could you correct the title of this thread?
    Are should be our or even the - sorry to be picky, it's just bugging me!

9. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

At the start of the season I'd have been happy with top 17 but I'll be disappointed if we don't finish top half now. Our target for the season now should be finishing above the unwashed.

10. overseasTOON

overseasTOON Active Member

Still miffed that we've fallen so far behind in the title chase but I guess I can wait till next season. After all, we are newly promoted.

l:emoticon-0112-wonde

11. The Armband

The Armband Active Member

we've thrown away so many points this season, it really makes you wonder where we could be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.