1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

IS FOOTBALL ATMOSPHERE DYING

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by Irishshako, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Irishshako

Irishshako Well-Known Member

So the Nationalist, IRA supporter is now the victim. FFS the English FA haven't a clue. I've not a problem if he doesn't wear the poppy, because I don't like politics in sport, so why make players wear rainbow colours or anti racist armbands as well. I'm sick of all this PC bollocks. :headbang:

2. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I have a very un-PC view (that I don't necessarily follow myself, I might add) of football. I think you should be able to swear, drink, abuse or whatever on the terracing at a football match. If you're the player that's target of it, then you should suck it up or give up, imo. Sticks & stones & all that.

The things I'd subject myself to for that sort of weekly wage, you wouldn't believe. But being called names & picking up a fortune? Absolute doddle. I've been subjected to some of the most horrible abuse you could imagine, even to this day (doncha just love FB?), but does it bother me? Nope. Water off a duck's back.

I always liked Phil Lynott's view. "They call me a black Irish bastard, all of which is true. Doesn't bother me one bit, ..... but I love smashing their faces in", or words to that effect. Top bloke & sadly missed.

Sorry if I've upset a few snowflakes, but I can put my hand on heart & declare that this is what I truly believe. Can you swear on a loved one's head that you're 100% PC-compliant, in thought as well as deed, or is there a darkness within you that you struggle to keep under control?

3. Irishshako

<applause> although I will add that Lynott was born in England<ok>
    He was also a scum fan<grr>
    But he was an Elvis fan<steam>

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Farsleyexile and Whitejock like this.
  4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

That's it then, sorted, the 2 most sensible people on this site :emoticon-0148-yes:<applause><applause>

I too am Sparticus

Vivid imagination playing riot with what WJ would do for a few quid and betting lube would be in order <laugh><laugh>

5. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Don’t know if it’s dying. Seems poor at most pl games but sky seem to turn down noise from crowds drastically. Only grounds atmosphere I can comment on live is Elland Road and that’s certainly not dying. Of course add 20k extra seats if in pl, bring in a load of plastic fans at higher ticket prices and who knows what Elland road will become

Irishshako likes this.
  6. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I disagree with WJ.

By loosening the slacks, it gives people an excuse to act like retards.

You're supposed to feel safe at a football ground. Before you know it if you don;t agree witrh someone, not spat upon, racially abused, assaulted or humiliated. Next - fans would be coming to games bladed up, whether they're looking for trouble or defending themselves

Jammy 07 likes this.
  7. NostradEmus

NostradEmus Firpo is Shit

It definitely went down a notch when they made it all seating.

I don't think its dying completely. It's just changing.

You still have a few clubs that stand out. We do very well, especially away from home. Millwall always give it some at home. The Palace fans look like they have a party everytime I see them on the telly. Every ground still have their little corners of noise.

The content is certainly more family friendly than the 80's for sure. It's not a bad thing.

8. Gessa

Gessa Well-Known Member

I like the German system of a 3,000 season ticketed standing area, singers only need apply, any trouble you lose your ticket, no second chance, keeps the atmosphere without attracting the idiots.

When I went to a game in Nuremberg, we were treated well by the fans for going to their game, beer comong from all directions, lots of questions about Englush football, at half time we were allowed to look in their standing section, which had a barrier infront of each fan, so no surges were possible, done 3 German and 2 Dutch games and the atmosphere is brilliant.

9. Irishshako

I'm not saying that we want what went on in the 70s/80s to come back. I just want to be able to swear and shout without the worry of being arrested by the PC plod.The family stand is a safe area, the West stand was always a safe area. I'm sick and tired of hearing this player that player playing the racist card, now the homo card and the latest the sectarian card. James Mclean is a supporter of people who maimed and killed soldiers and innocent people. He wasn't even around in those days. He hates Britain, but yet is happy to take the Queens pound. He should be investigated for his tweets. He gets targeted because he fans the flames. <ok> Players should be more thick skinned. Throwing stuff at players is not right, but throwing words isn't in my opinion. But unfortunately we live in a generation that need to apologise before you say something, just in case you upset or offend. I also don't think WJ was advocating a return to the violence of yester year.<ok>

10. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

Correct!

Think El has got carried away. Managed to stop himself before groups of fans shot at each other & lobbed hand grenades.

Read it again, El. Violence not encouraged, just true freedom of speech. Is it really just if I get banned sine die 'cos I called the ref a fcuking ****er, or words to that effect? I've come close. Very close. And actually, probability has it that what I said was perfectly true! He was & is.

What's unsafe about fans expressing themselves?

Irishshako likes this.

11. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good thread subject Shaks. <ok>

Club football is all about passion always attract chants and abuse from the terraces (seats now <doh>) toward opposition supporters and players the extent that some will get upset. Having said that, it was mostly football based when I started watching as a nipper going with my dad back in the late 60's, though I wasn't really aware of it that much back then.

It all seemed to change in the 70's when going to games on my own or with mates, getting more physical (violent?), but still generally football based abuse (and sheep <laugh>). This has now morphed into racism, gender issues and sectarian stuff this century. To make it worse, the issues are being shoved in our faces as fans to the extent that it's become annoying.

Stamp it out slogans and ****ing rainbow laces my arse. Though of very real concern to the emotionally vulnerable, there shouldn't be need to promote these issues and splash it all over the media. There is no need of it in "real life", but just accept that when you get involved in a partisan and emotional environment at a football ground, it's going to happen. Players and fans need to get on with it without a namby pamby polically correct mothering.

Now where did I tether that sheep? :grin:

12. Irishshako

<applause> well said...............................for a Taff:grin:

I love the chant when playing Brighton," We can see you holding hands", harmless IMO, but now you can probably get kicked out for it...<diva>

ellandback and Oldsparkey like this.
  13. Irishshako

I really only started the thread because I was listening to some Irish pundits on some sports news show and the Mclean thing was brought up, but nothing was mentioned why some people give some stick, warranted or not. I would have just loved someone to say that he's an obnoxious ignorant twat and he gets abuse on twitter because he dishes it out. <ok>

14. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Or not go at all

Irishshako likes this.
  15. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Snowflake alert!!!!:emoticon-0105-wink:

16. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

It should be compulsory for anyone banging a drum to get their head kicked in <grr>

davy, Whitejock, OLOF and 4 others like this.
  17. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

As far as I can tell you hear chants from 30,000 a week saying the referee's a ****er, and worse. None of these people are nicked because of it.

You're not going to face a public order offence by swearing alone. Since when are the kids restricted to the family section?

Regarding WJ's comments :- I think you should be able to swear, drink, abuse or whatever on the terracing at a football match. If you're the player that's target of it, then you should suck it up or give up, imo. Sticks & stones & all that.

Mix all the above together and you've got big problems both inside and outside the ground. That will then escalate with bricks, bottles and knives.

WJ, this is not the Gorbals - swear, drink and abuse on the terraces???

Telling an opposition player, he's a fat ****er is fair enough but what about yelling at Billy Sharp obscenities about his little boy dying?

We all know McClean is scum, but this is a free Country, and he can stand up for what he believes in, whatever any of us think. All these groups pro this and that are of no concern to me, as long as its not rammed down my throat.

18. Irishshako

THIS IS A FREE COUNTRY...then surely you're contradicting yourself, when you say that swearing and drinking shouldn't happen in the ground. Whatever happens outside the ground is policed. Of course it's not ok to slag Sharp over his loss. Kids are not restricted to any part of the ground(who said they were), a part from under 5s who aren't allowed in the upper east stand. But the safe stands are there for families and it's the choice of the parents if they want to risk their kids being scarred for life by a few swear words. I think you're being a bit melodramatic. If MCLEAN can do what he wants, can you imagine a player who was a right wing nazi supporter. Yes there would be up roar. There is clearly one rule for one and another rule for the other.<grr> As for stuff being rammed down peoples throats, how about the kick it out and the rainbow stuff.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Whitejock likes this.
  19. OLOF

OLOF Well-Known Member

Those rainbow folk like it rammed down their throats .... and up their arseholes allegedly:bandit:

20. FORZA LEEDS

FORZA LEEDS Well-Known Member

Davy should come out of retirement and kneecap the **** :biggrin:

davy, Irishshako and OLOF like this.