1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is the world at a dangerous crossroad?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Feb 21, 2022.

1. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Taking in all of the nasty stuff circling the globe at the present makes me wonder what happens from here?

On my home front we have had the economy seriously affected by the demonstrators in the various freedom convoys that have shut down vital border crossings and the national parliament which in my book amounts to anarchy with a large dose of treason. I have no problem with people's right to demonstrate but this was way beyond out of order and was organized not by truckers but by sinister groups with sinister intent. It seems to be trend throughout the world to flaunt the rule of law without any regard to the true will of the rest of the sane population. I hope and believe that these idiots will have the full weight of the law thrown at them and many of them have already had property seized and bank accounts frozen which may be used to compensate the poor people whose businesses suffered badly by these actions. To sum up the mental level of some of these protesters one proclaimed in court that some bloke called John gave him a private jet so he could attend the protest but now has no money to get home. <doh>

Now what about Putin who is clearly setting up the invasion of the Ukraine by now declaring his acceptance of the Donbar region in the eastern part of the country as independent states which presumably he will use as an excuse to put troops there to protect their sovereignty against attacks from Ukraine. Did anyone truly think that Russia didn't have troops already in the Donbar and of course the supposed attacks coming from within Ukraine are probably coming from Russians within the country. This crisis could become catastrophic if it continues because Adolf Hitler used the same tactics in country grabbing back in the late 30's and we all know what happened so if something isn't done I believe Putin will continue his grabbing habit on Moldova and other smaller ex-soviet states to stamp his insanity as his legacy. As a Russian he should be more aware of what the last war gave to his country and that was the highest death toll in the second world war. Does he really think he can do better this time around or will calmer heads prevail? Putin and his ally Lukashenko are blood thirsty dangers to our world and the reaction will be interesting if it happens.

I also have a strong suspicion that Chine will move in on Taiwan in the next year or so and possibly even earlier.

Any other examples of how our world has changed for the worst during the pandemic?

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

World war 3 is just around the corner-scared times ahead.

3. invermeremike

I bet Putin is shaking in his boots at the thought of sanctions - not!

Supcon72 and Reliant Robin TC2 like this.
  4. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

Countries like Belarus will suffer with sanctions ... really all RUSSIA has is oil and gas.. very little else .. we have most of their money in our banking system! Not many oligarf's live in Russia ... mindyou in the past their factory ships have killed of our mackerel/ herring industries and do still haunt the coasts of atlantic europe / scandinavia buying fish, processing on board and returning home ... oh they do sell a lot of cereal as well

5. invermeremike

So do we on the wheat front so buy Canadian. We have everything imaginable for sale including oil, natural gas, minerals including gold and diamonds, coal and many other major necessities. Fish in vast numbers (after the Russians and Chinese have stolen their share) are available on demand when they are on the no fish list due to large foreign, including the U.S., theft. I believe we have a free trade deal with the U.K. and now is surely the time for Justin to step up and market our resources to all of Europe by taking advantage of the sanctions soon to be enforced. Only a suggestion I might add.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  6. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

What can we do?
    We can’t do anything at all militarily
    We could stop buying their gas and cut out their supplies of Marmite and Cheddar cheese I suppose and that’s about all.

7. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

Bet Chelsea fans are ****ting themselves...

Angelicnumber16 likes this.
  8. Redprintt

Redprintt Well-Known Member

I'm thinking very similar.
    Just don't know how all this will pan out.

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.
  9. Red Alert

Red Alert Well-Known Member

Labour MP Margaret Hodge thinks Abramovich might be a agent. Not sure about this but its disposable gloves time when leaving or entering the house if I were her now just in case.

10. invermeremike

Putin (Stalin reborn) has his agents everywhere and they do his bidding or disappear.

11. wizered

wizered Ol' Mucker
    Staff Member

I don't always agree with her party but Margaret Hodge has been around a long time, she is a wise old bird, stands up for what she believes in, she is no ones fool, I trust and believe in her far more than some on either side of the front benches.

Bluebaldee likes this.
  12. invermeremike

As a Russian friend of mine said many years ago if you are rich in that country then you are either mafia or a mate of Putin. I am sure he will dish up the old adage of I have no more territorial demands soon, perhaps when he invades Moldova or one of the Baltic States. Dangerous times ahead I'm afraid but you saw what sitting back and doing nothing created in the late 30's. Putin could be the next Adolf Hitler in better clothes.

13. bcfcredandwhite

bcfcredandwhite Well-Known Member

It’s started……..

Putin's tanks roll into Ukraine over Belarus border amid full invasion

https://mol.im/a/10545389

As I see it, we have the following choices by way of a response:
    1. Do nothing
    2. Use sanctions as a slap on the wrist
    3. Attack now when he isn’t expecting it
    4. Wait until he has invaded Poland or the Baltic states before attacking him.

We seem to be taking option 2……

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
  14. Reliant Robin TC2

The problem with doing nothing militarily is that Putin will know he can get away with it!

It's what happened in Crimea, now this and, as you say, the Baltic States next.

Well, it's been good talking with you all. Shouldn't worry too much about possible relegation... at this rate there won't be a World left let alone football!!

15. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

We won’t attack now, sanctions are as far as we can go. We could and should however build NATO forces up in the countries neighbouring Ukrain and make it very plain we will defend them.

16. Reliant Robin TC2

So… despite all the rhetoric, leave Ukraine to it’s fate! That is exactly what Putin wants and expects.

17. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

the next 3 days is are the most important. I believe only about 31% of Russians do not get news from state TV, THOSE HAVE DEMONSTATED TODAY a few hundred, have all been arrested. Messages being sent to RUSSIAN families [ most soldiers are canon fodder conscripted ] why lose your children because of a Russian despot with his own agenda ... THE KREMLIN NOT RUSSIA is the gripe

18. Jiffie

Jiffie Well-Known Member

Most footballers and football fans have little or no conscience, most Chelsea, Arsenal or Bournemouth fans won't boycott their clubs and players won't speak out against their Russian owners but will be first on board the Qatar gravy train with Saint Gary Lineker and his sycophant pundits checking the tickets, still taking the knee and wads of cash in a racist, slave condoning, terrorist supporting, misogynistic, gay bashing country.

We now know that after Newcastle's Saudi take over nobody gives a ****. I'm surprised Abramovic hasn't been given a knighthood.

Redprintt and Reliant Robin TC2 like this.
  19. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

I agree it isn’t right, but sanctions are all we can do. What do you suggest?. I can’t see anyway we can we can use force, Putin knew it, but we have to make it plain what the implications are if he goes any further, and we must try to bankrupt Russia through economic measures, in order to persuade him to pull back from Ukrain. The time to do anything else is gone unfortunately.

Redprintt likes this.
  20. invermeremike

A military response is what's needed but Putin knows that there is no way the rest of the world can respond in an aggressive manner as the consequences would be dire. Regrettably the bad Russian money that has flooded into overseas banks has long been a source of contention and we need to freeze all of that money and possibly kick out any who are tied to said money living in our individual countries. All Russian assets should be seized immediately and all traffic in and out of that country should be severed as soon as possible throughout the world. China will certainly become a dissenter of all things anti-Russian and offer support in the good traditions of communism despite the condemnation from the rest of the world.

We have now crossed the divide between common sense and outright warfare and where it will take us in the next few days and beyond is anyone's guess. I am a keen historian on the Second World War and the similarities are scary, if you know your history, because the script is exactly the same whereby Hitler pushed the boundaries and resolve of the other nations by nibbling away for years before the final plunge into darkness. Today is akin to the early days of the Nazi regime's lies and fake promises, which we all chose to basically ignore, and that eventually led to the invasion of Poland which was the start of the 5 years of mayhem and mass killings.

Will today's actions by Russia lead to more widespread incursions by Putin or will he stop at the first bite and bide his time until we take our eyes off the ball allowing him the chance to grab more of the ex-Soviet states? This is certainly the biggest threat to the peace we all love and whether or not we allow Putin to continue is up to our politicians and their resolve, or lack thereof, to stop this insanity. The citizens of Russia who detest this liar murderer need to step up and tell the rest of us that they will stop him - if they dare. A dangerous crossroad indeed.

Redprintt likes this.