1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is the world at a dangerous crossroad?

Discussion in 'Bristol City' started by invermeremike, Feb 21, 2022.

1. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Cheap washing macines from Beko?

2. Red Robin

Red Robin Well-Known Member

<laugh><laugh><laugh>

http://www.ebac.com/

Made in Britain -TOP QUALITY

3. invermeremike

invermeremike Well-Known Member

Considering that the area of Thrace is the only part of Turkey in Europe it makes me ask why they were allowed to join? My cynicism makes me think that perhaps they were put up to it by Russia in order for them to veto anything that Russia did not like, like the current scenario with Sweden and Finland. Perhaps Putin wants to join as well even though the vast part of the country is in Asia, rather like Turkey.

4. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

If it was up to me I’d allow Sweden and Finland to join, and just say to Turkey I’d rather you stayed too, but if not fine.

Angelicnumber16 and Red Robin like this.
  5. invermeremike

On a slightly different tack why are China and Russia on the U.N. Security Council when they are the biggest threats to world security? Turkey will always back Russia when push comes to shove and the air traffic between the two countries backs up that theory.

Red Robin likes this.
  6. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I tend to agree, but that is fraught with danger.

Erdogan has a very high opinion of himself and of his country's capabilities - all of which are basically based on the sheer size and population which at over 85M is greater than Germany. As said by someone earlier, 90% of that population is in Asia and less than 10% European. As such he has a foot in both camps in much the same way as Russia.

He will use his NATO leverage to maximise his ambitions and bolster his political importance which is based on the sheer "numbers" game rather than economic success or importance. There is also the little matter of him controlling the highly strategic Bosporus - the only entrance to the Black Sea and shipping routes in and out of it .

BTW, Sweden is already a larger producer of weapons and weaponary systems than Turkey. Turkey struggles with the lack of local expertise in the sector and are highly dependant upon other countries for both their technology and hardware componenets. However, replacing Turkey with the incoming Sweden and Finland would be a last resort ploy because it would tend to push them towards Russia as a partner.

7. realred1952

realred1952 Well-Known Member

an original member, when you go back to WW2 history they were different then there was less racism/religious discord sometime after the 50's it all started [worldwide ] to become an issue.
    turkey is european and asian! HAS 2 OR 3 DIFFERENT MAIN RELIGIONS...

8. realred1952

Turkey is basicallly a manufacturer of basic weapons guns etc etc all sizes . tech stuff it needs to get made elsewhere... Sweden makes some pretty handy kit!!

9. realred1952

VLADIMIR PUTRID has declared war on dozens of third world and poorer countries throughout the world. His mindless egoist invasion of Ukraine has destroyed one of the Black seas most busy ports, has put a noose around the other and stopped millions of tonnes of grain and millions of litres of cooking oil from being shipped out. This leads to to price wars where those that can afford the alternative stocks are paying premium prices.

they keep on about nazism but the whole world knows Ukraine is far from being a nazis state. They will now no doubt about it accuse all of the soldiers from Mariupol of being nazis... all 1500 of them! But fail to see "mirror mirror on the wall scenario" who have acted as Nazis, butchers and genocide merchants. The soldier who pleaded guilty may have thought he was getting away with an admission of guilt, however it seems the trial will go ahead in its full pomp to cross all the T's and dot the I's. It is laughable that Russia with its so called super network of news and information gathering has "heard nothing of a soldier on trial for WAR CRIMES!!!

This country has something like 10 -15% of fallow land the could be sown this year with wheat and barley. Not to mention the land farmers stopped growing Oilseed rape on because the main insecticide was banned. Whilst heads have been turned by other matters and points gathering the important things this country should have done have been missed. WHEN WW2 started we didnt wait to run out of food we put plans into action asap ... OK it is not a WW3 battlefield but the repercussions are going to be worse, starting with the third world ... will the major 20 - 30 countries of the world be able to supply them with aid and grain??? it will be hard enough to feed their own. Already India has shut its door to exports of grain...

like quite a few on here, over 68's we have seen and been through the mangle a couple of times .. brought up in the country with a garden that was 50m long and 9m wide with an additional area of 20m x30m as a chicken pen we were never going to be without food [ after war up to late 1950's ] ... rabbit population in those pre mixi days was almost out of hand! [ in some areas ] chicken and rabbit featured on our weekly diet at least once weekly. It was not only farmers that kept pigs or sheep!... and not for pets!!! Pigeon population was kept down in the autumn!!! ..

now it is simple answer to doing anything ...food banks ... most are abused .. if I started one I would never go hungry...lol

10. realred1952

Found out what the Poseidon P8's are up to mostly monitoring clandestine submarine positions!!!
    2 russian Ilyushin aircraft .. first for weeks showing the world where they are flying to ... east from Moscow currently over Perm area

11. invermeremike

This thread has gone very quiet and if you want a good reason to bring it back to life again then I suggest that you take a look at the Queen + Paul Rodgers concert for Ukraine in 2008. It was held in Freedom Square, Kharkiv in front of 350,000 people and, you know what, I didn't see one single Nazi but rather just normal citizens enjoying a good concert. Flags of all nations were visible and I became quite emotional watching it because I'm sure none of them wanted what has happened to happen and must be asking why?

12. AshtonRed

AshtonRed Well-Known Member

Paul Rogers isn’t a patch on Freddie Mercury though

13. realred1952

At the moment UKRAINE is slowly being razed to the ground, every village around major Eastern towns being targetted and a lot of them are agricultural. Putrids aim seems to be to takeaway Ukranes ability to have an economy . The eastern half is the heavy industry and export hubs.
    Aircraft activity is a lot queter, although an interpretation of how busy / transport or info gathering can be determined by number of strato tankers. P8's popping up so maritime surveillance and attack capabillity is being kept in tune. NOT many info drones showing trails, but must be a few in the air [ usually up at 56,000 ft ] 2 strato tankers currently showing ....

14. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

And Adam Lambert isn’t a patch on Paul Rogers, let alone Freddie

15. invermeremike

I regard Paul as one of the greatest voices in rock and roll history, along with Freddie of course. He is married to an ex Miss Canada and is a citizen of Kelowna, British Columbia.

16. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

I actually prefer Adam Lambert and seeing them for the second time next Sunday. I like the flamboyant of what you would expect from a Queen frontman.
    One of my biggest mistakes was turning down getting tickets to see Queen in 86. No idea why I did either.
    I also turned down David Bowie on the Spiderglass tour. I saw U2 on the Joshua Tree in Wembley and was due to book Bowie but changed my mind to see U2 again in Cardiff arms park.

17. invermeremike

I saw U2 at the Aloha Bowl in Honolulu with Pearl Jam as the warm-up band.

18. RedorDead

RedorDead Well-Known Member

Seen them quite a few times. But then they started doing weird indoor shows for a massive fee. I saw The Killers back them up in 2005 and since then I’ve seen The Killers 10 times and U2 once.

19. Reliant Robin TC2

Reliant Robin TC2 Well-Known Member

Saw The Killers for the first time the other night! Loved the Manics as well - very underrated band in my humble opinion!!

Saw Queen as the support to Mott the Hoople at the Colston Hall in late November’73.

Had a ticket for Bowie the night before he announced his split from the Spiders from Mars - was sick, couldn’t go!!

Angelicnumber16 and RedorDead like this.
  20. Angelicnumber16

Angelicnumber16 Well-Known Member

Not a huge Killers fan but I certainly loved the original Queen and MTH. I saw Ian Hunter at the Tramshed in Cardiff a few years ago.
    For someone in his 80’s he was fantastic

Reliant Robin TC2 likes this.