1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It`s Hooper !

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by AberdeenSaint, Dec 15, 2011.

1. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

I see he`s scored for Celtic at Udinese tonight. Anyway, I think his destiny is with Saints - its fate - he was born in 88, plays No 88 for Celtic who were formed in 1888. Celtic are the Hoops. (lots of hoops going on !) Anyway he is going to come full circle, play for NA again, and have a halo on his head with Saints. Stands to reason ?
    NC has alluded to a big signing.
    Errr - maybe not, if they won`t sell. Then, maybe its Jelavic from Rangers - they`re skint, and he`ll be going !

2. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

Leicester had a £7m bid for Jelavic turned down in the summer. I'd imagine Hooper would cost about the same. No chance of this happening.

3. AberdeenSaint

Maybe not, and I don`t think Jelavic is worth anywhere near £7m. A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay however. I could see Lambert and Hooper together - drool !

4. AdamBanana20

AdamBanana20 New Member

5. AberdeenSaint

... and that`s Celtic out of Europe now.
    Anyway, roll on Sunday and 3 points at nottarF kraP - can`t wait !

6. North Hants Saint

North Hants Saint Active Member

Hooper's a great player.

7. SaintsFan86

SaintsFan86 Well-Known Member

Would be fantastic if it was hooper.. fills the lambert mould lovely.

8. frenchvic

frenchvic Member

Would'nt be a step down for him, Celtic would not get in top half of Championship. Never rated SPL.

9. MMJ

MMJ Well-Known Member

to be fair they would, them and rangers would be lower to mid prem clubs, the rest of the spl however is a different story

10. AberdeenSaint

I think they would both struggle with the squads they have at the minute. If they were to somehow gain entry into the Premiership (I don`t think it will ever happen), then they would have far more sponsorship (SPL is skint) and gate money, which combined with their huge fanbase, would make them Premier league fixtures. The majority of SPL clubs cannot afford a transfer fee, of any amount - hence the league is full of free transfers. Sad, but thats the economics of the situation.

11. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Honestly, neither of the Old Firm are PL standard. A few years ago when MON was at Celtic maybe and prior to that, the Laudrup era at Ibrox would have seen them as genuine title contenders. Nowadays it's different matter. The standard has diminished significantly over the last five years or so. Championship at best.

12. jacksk1

jacksk1 Well-Known Member

And yet, as the OP points out, Celtic have just managed a draw with Udinese who are currently second in Serie A and if memory serves me right weren't a million miles away from dumping Arsenal out of the Champions League earlier this season.

All swings and roundabouts I guess...!!

13. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Swings and roundabouts indeed but also worth pointing out that those were cup games. Over a league season they'd be found out.

As for the demise of the SPL, the irony is that it's the greed of the Old Firm that's been their own undoing. How many other leagues in the world feature fixtures against the same team four times a season and split the table in half to ensure it stays that way? This has created a total non-competition, ring fences what little money there is in the game for those two, deprives other participants in the league of their own old firm pay-days and has diminished levels of interest to a level where you or I might be in with a shout of winning the TV rights next time they're due! As my Dream Team League name says - Mickey Mouse Wears an SPL Watch.

14. Itchen North Matt

Itchen North Matt Active Member

Wouldn't say no to Hooper if we did have a chance though.