1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Italy - a sweepstake disappointment

Discussion in 'International Football General Chat' started by 67RDH06, Jun 3, 2012.

1. 67RDH06

67RDH06 New Member

2. Stamford Brook R

Stamford Brook R Well-Known Member

The last time there was a match fixing scandal in Italy, the national team won the World Cup.

Supported Italy ever since Italia 90 and although they got thrashed a few days ago only Holland have been in any form. I think the Azzurri will come good.

3. kiyonemakibi

kiyonemakibi Member

I'd ignore the pre-tournament friendlies, I still think Italy will come good. They have a tendency to come good and go far when unfancied (1982, 2000, 2006).

4. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

Happened in 82 as well. The scandal was a little earlier, but players like Rossi were suspended.

Many teams have under-performed in the warm-up matches, but Italy have looked woeful. It's an ominous sign, because something just seems to "click" with them as tournaments progress. If Balotelli falls out with the squad but then scores a winner at a crucial time, I think Italy are odds-on.

Their football may have declined, but their method has not been defeated. They stick with catenaccio for a reason: it works.

5. ricospur

ricospur New Member

absolutely laughable, italy have not played catenaccio since the 80s prandelli is a progressive and attacking manager. Italy played the best team in the world and matched them and made more chances against spain than youl see any team make. when england played them recently in a friendly they didnt get out of their own half and defended all game and fluked a win isnt that catenaccio? most english people who comment on italy no absolutely nothing about italian football its just stereotypical rubbish.

6. kiyonemakibi

kiyonemakibi Member

What do we think now?

7. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

I think that ricospur misunderstood what I meant.

8. Chica Italiana y Espanola

Yeye well done!! I totally agree with you :)

9. stopthepress

stopthepress Member

When I used the word catenaccio, I didn't mean "defensive football".

I meant defence as a platform for attack, which is exactly what the Italians have done.