1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a mad, mad world.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

1.....After more than 60 years, Kleenex has been forced to rebrand it's "Mansize" tissues after receiving complaints that the brand was sexist.
    Kimberly-Clark which owns Kleenex, said the tissues would be now known as "Extra Large" , despite not itself believing that the Mansize branding suggests or endorses gender inequality.

Is comes amid a wider backlash against unnecessary "gendered" products, which consumers and campaigners criticising manufactures of razor, pens, confectionary and other products over potentially harmful gender stereotyping.

My thoughts.....Mrs Plym has been buying this item for years....to her "Mansize" suggests that they are stronger and not just a larger tissue.....not like some of the smaller thinner ones that just disintegrate in your hand when you use them....meaning that you need another tissue to "clean" your hands.

Daily Telegraph...18/10/2018.

This is total poppycock, I think Kimberly-Clark shouldn't of caved in to the politically correct morons.

2.....A couple who tend a bed of dahlias outside their cottage have been told they must dig up the flowers because they are impeding drivers.

Sally Williams, 69, and her husband Brian, 80, first planted the verge opposite their home in Loxley, near Sheffield, over three decades ago to encourage wildlife and bring colour to the lane.

However, following an anonymous complaint to Sheffield council, the council sent a letter saying that they had a week to dig up the flowers or pay for it to be done by the authority.

The Council said: "We have sympathy with the nearby homeowner. Unfortunately the placing of flower beds, on the highway outside the property, could be a danger to road users."

The stones were originally placed to prevent the erosion of the road, which had to be resurfaced a few years ago after it fell into disrepair.

Tending to the dahlias and shrubs had helped Mr Williams recuperate when he was ill, and the news has left the couple, "absolutely devastated".

Mrs Williams said: "It (the issue) is deeper than a few flowers, we were doing are bit for the environment. We increased butterflies, bees and birds in the area, which was our primary aim.

"The land the council is supposed to manage overgrows the white lines, there are fallen leaves that are wet and dangerous."

Neighbours have started a petition to save the garden. It has gained more than 1,000 signatures so far.

Daily Telegraph...18/10/2018.

My thoughts.....How many accidents have happened there over the 30 years that the Williams have been tending this flower border....I assume maybe that a new busy body neighbour has moved in and is probably jealous of what they've done.

PS.....A great picture in the paper showing the couple and the flower borders.....the borders are pushed back from the white line edging the road....I doubt if that can be said for the rest of the lane.

2. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Next one will be telling people no sexy underwear hanging to dry in view of pavement/road etc for the same reason and of course not to upset a certain religion. ....:biggrin:

3. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Won't be able to wash my smalls then.............

The World sometimes has definately gone mad. I used to get weird things complained about when I worked for PCC. Somebody once complained about seagulls making too much noise. They actually lived on the Barbican which had been their first choice of area when they were housed. It's like village folk complaining about chickens or cow noises. Don't like the village church bells being rung on a Sunday morning which has happened for the last 400 years. It's always the newbies who moan and want to change the place they have chosen to live because it was the place that attracted them in the beginning. The fact anyone takes any notice of them at all is the weirdest part.

4. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Now Snow White's handsome prince has fallen foul of the ..."Me Too" movement.

As Hollywood deals with the fallout of the "Me Too" movement, Snow White has become the latest target, amid claims that the Disney version of the fairytale encourages men to kiss women without consent.

Kristen Bell, the actress who provides the voice of Princess Anna in another Disney blockbuster, "Frozen", said the way the prince kisses Snow White while she is asleep is "weird" and she has warned her young daughters about the male character's behaviour.

Bell, 38, said she reads every night to daughters Lincoln, five, and Delta, three. but had to have a serious conversation with them about Snow White. Etc, etc, etc.

Daily Telegraph...19/10/2018.

My thoughts.....Two more young children dragged into the world of adult thinking......I personally would have a serious conversation with their mother calling them.....Lincoln and Delta....one's a car and the other is an Airline......please just give them a chance with proper names such as Snow White or Cinderella....oh no that would gain the wrath of the "Me Too" movement of course.

5. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

Oh really. ...I know mens thongs are catching on....do you get yours in M&S then? :emoticon-0102-bigsm

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I couldn't possibly wear a thong hp. The chaffing alone would do my head in. Nothing wrong with a bit of chiffon and lace though even if they are big pants.

7. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

That's a nasty, nasty image I can't get out of my mind now.

8. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Local shops had its own mad, mad world going on this morning.

1.....Road works....digging up half the road...so had set up traffic lights to keep flow of traffic to and fro moving through gap..

2.....25 yards beyond road works are permanent lights with pedestrian crossing.

3.....Both sets of lights doing their own different sequence of green, red etc....(might of been in sequence at the start but not now)

4.....So traffic would be passing through road work lights...whilst permanent lights go red for pedestrian use.

5.....So pedestrian lights turn green allowing road work traffic to pass through....which means pedestrian lights traffic cannot move until road work lights go red and traffic stops and passes through gap and past the pedestrian lights.

6.....But pedestrian lights have turned red for the use of pedestrians again...so traffic held up going towards road work lights.

7.....Pedestrian lights turn green....but road work light are now green as well, so there traffic block the gap for pedestrian light traffic to move forward.

8.....Rarely ever did the lights allow the pedestrian light traffic a clear flow through the road work gap.

9.....Roadwork workers completely oblivious to what is going on....frustration can be seen to be developing amongst pedestrian traffic light queuing traffic.

10 .....Although I'm enjoying the side show...I just can't stay here all day rubber necking like a tennis match spectator the event before me.

11.....Smugly my car is parked the other side, over the railway station walk way....so completely clear of this side show.

PS.....I do apologise if I've left you all brain dead with my explaining....I sure you could have sold tickets for people to watch the chaos unfolding before them.

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

1.....COUNCIL STEPS DOWN FROM BEING UTTER PRATTS.

A couple ordered to rip out their beloved roadside flowerbed after one complaint have now been told the decision is set to be reversed.

Keen gardeners Brian and Sally Williams had tendered the flowers over three decades. However, citing health and safety laws, highway officials told them this week they had seven days to remove the blooms.

Sheffield City Council confirmed it had received a complaint from a neighbour which had been upheld.

A furious response from villagers in the South Yorkshire village of Loxley led to an online petition which quickly gathered more than 5,000 signatures.

Yesterday, city councillor Jack Scott said the flowerbed looked "great" and assured Brian. 80, and Sally, 69, they could stay. He said: "The decision was overly punitive. I don't see any circumstances in which the flowerbed will be taken down."

Despite the news, Mrs Williams said last night: "we're being guarded as the council has not got in touch. They might say we can keep the flowers for a set amount of time. It could end up more of a sidestep than a U-turn.

The couple bought the 200 year old cottage on a single-track-lane in 1991.

Mrs Williams said: "When we moved here the road was neglected. It had potholes and grass growing wild. As a keen gardener, I see a bit of neglected land and just had to smarten it up."

Daily Express...20/10/2018.

My thoughts.....Hopefully the Williams's will not have to change the lane back to it's unkept scruffy past.

2.....Hard-up drivers are being taken for a ride by the fuel industry with pump prices shooting up while wholesale costs are falling.

Millions who fill up with unleaded are paying £1 a tank over the odds, says the AA.

Yesterday both the AA and RAC called for the price of unleaded to be slashed by at least 2p. They blame unscrupulous speculators for the misery. Constant predictions that oil will rocket from $85 to $100 a barrel are unsettling the market.

The AA says wholesale petrol costs have fallen from 45.21p a litre in August to 40.8p yet pumps prices rose from 130.35p to 131.63.

AA spokesman Luke Bosdet said: Enough is enough. This comes at a time when prices are at their highest for over four years.

Daily Mirror...20/10/2018.

My thoughts.....Drivers are an easy, easy target.

10. notDistantGreen

Wait until the Chancellor gets at us to pay for Teresa May's declaration that "austerity is over" despite the Government continuing to run budget deficits. Borrowing at the end of March was 86% of GDP which compares to the 60% target in the Maastricht treaty. Interesting question then, if we were able to revoke the Chapter 50 Brexit notice, would the EU let us back in given the present state of our finances?

After vehicle taxes, Hammond has been talking about tax reliefs on pension contributions as being overly generous. Gordon Brown ruined very successful occupational pension schemes with a tax raid. Is Hammond going to finish them off? If so, one of his successors is going to find himself with a lot of starving pensioners to deal with a couple of decades down the road.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

May's comment about "austerity is over" is just as truthful as her appalling attempt at brexit.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Stop driving when you don't have to then and it will be cheaper all around. I get fed up with seeing loads of single people in cars going to work. If they engaged a brain just a bit then probably at least half of them could do a car share with 3 others thus saving themselves money and helping the planet along at the same time. I don't have a lot of sympathy with car driver generally as you can probably tell.

I want Mrs M to call an election right now. I want the Tories to lose. If they do then there is only one party likely to succeed them with is good old Jerry and his mob. I want to see what Jerry does with the rest of Brexit when he can't just sit on the sidelines and snigger. I want to see just where the Country ends up after a couple of years of his efforts. That way I can see that his party will take another one hundred years to ever get anywhere near power again. Everyone is scoffing at May for whatever is or isn't happening with Brexit but at the same time not realising that it is an impossible conundrum. Nobdoy apart from those who still would vote for it want it to succeed. Not the other Europeans nor many in parliament in this country. When everyone is sticking their oar in without coming up with any alternative plan how do you actually negotiate anything? You can only negotiate something when all parties really want a solution.

13. notDistantGreen

Not many people I know work regular 9 to 5 hours Sensible, neither do they live nice and neatly in the local vicinity, Car sharing is impossible.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I used to car share with a teenager in the mid 1960's....he had a souped up Ford Anglia with rust holes in the floor.....ok unless it was raining, then you needed to keep your feet over the holes.....he used to do the journey through S London in 25 mins.....(I took 45 minutes).....I used to keep my eyes closed most of the way.....he never once got stopped for extremely aggressive and fast driving....every car in front of him was a challenge. He used to turn up later and later.,.,..to the extent of a sprint to the clocking -in machine whilst he found a parking place.

15. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

I cant share a car as what about all our tools and materials we have 5 vehicles and try and get jobs that are together to take 1 van, its difficult .. i would like to as the fuel costs for us as high.. so the customer pays more :emoticon-0101-sadsm

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I wasn't talking about works vans etc I was talking about 2 or more people who live in and around the same area who are going in the same direction every day at much the same time. I know a lot of people commute a relatively long way in certain parts of the Country but not so much in this one or some others. I understand that anyone working in London would find it hard to buy a property there but again that isn't the case in most others. You do not have to live 50 miles away from your work place and again I don't obviously include those that cover an area over several counties and don't have a static work place. In this day and age with all of the social media sites it is not beyond the realms of possibility to have a share site where you can find a match. If you can do it for bonking and stuff then you can do it for a lift.

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

A church has been left with a bill for £400,000 after thieves stole the Grade 1- listed building's lead roof in its entirety.

The theft of around 20 tonnes of the valuable metal from All Saint's Church, Houghton Conquest, near Bedford, has been described as "one of the worst" by a church architect.

Churchgoers are now trying to raise funds towards the replacement as only £15,000 is expected to be paid by insurance.

The theft was discovered at the start of the month, Michael Dales, a church architect who assessed the damage, said: "this is one of the worst lead thefts I have encountered."

Daily Telegraph...22/10/2018.

My thoughts.....20 tonnes of lead without anyone knowing in a small village.....it wouldn't of been just two men on a moped in the dead of night.....the church only noticed it at the beginning of the month....how !!!.... did it start raining or something.

18. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

The vicar had that awyay

19. notDistantGreen

A senior police officer, Sarah Thorton, has said that officers should be left to deal with "real" crime like robbery and violence and not dragged into logging of minor hate incidents and pointless inquiries into allegations againt dead people by "well organised campaigning groups".

Hallelujah. Probably saying something a man would be lynched for, but still.

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Wait till the right on get their say on that statement notdistant. Man baracades, prepare to repel boarders...................we all know it's far more important to protect somebodies sensabilities than it is to defend their home or life.

Constable, Constable help me somebody is chasing me with a big knife................Sorry can't stop now somebody in the local chip shop shouted "faggot" so I've got a job already. Just run faster and you'll be ok.

Well you know the sort of thing I mean don't you.