1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's a mad, mad world.

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

My son sent a text to my phone last week....I saw him the next day and he showed me the text and when it was sent....I said I didn't know anything about it....it arrived 48 hrs after he sent it....powered by cockroaches on a treadmill I think.

2. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

My corner of peaceful tranquil leafy suburbia....erupted this morning.....one of the shopping areas called Petts Wood a place I lived in for 39 years before moving to my present abode.... had a problem between a black parking attendant and at least five white middle class car owners.

There are three parking meter machines within a 100 yards of each other in this parking area....quite adequate....but all three where flashing red and out of order....In recent months the council have been putting up parking signs by each meter, telling you of the parking APP that you can use to pay by phone....I feel that the council are allowing machines to become unusable so that you have to use your mobile phone....it saves on maintenance and will do away with meters full of cash to be tampered with, that's assuming you have a internet phone at your disposal....not everyone has that facility on their phone....my phone is just what it says just a phone.

Ok lets get back to the problem......car owners who tried to use the parking APP found it was not working and having found no way to park legally confronted the Parking Attendant who of course was putting parking fines on every car....completely oblivious to being told that the meters weren't working and the parking APP was not working either.

Earlier I had walked around the corner to another machine and brought back a ticket from there.....I had returned to my car later and came across this sight of one 'all powerful' black Parking Attendant and this group of irate car owners who were on the verge of pushing his parking fine machine where the sun don't shine....smiling to myself I got back into my car (he hadn't passed my car yet) and took my ticket off the windscreen.....and then noticed that my ticket stated 50p an hour parking cost......this spot that I was parked in (plus the irate car owners) was a 60p an hour parking cost....so if this zombie Parking Attendant had got to my car he could have put a fine on it because I hadn't paid enough for the priviledge of parking there.

Don't you just love Parking Attendants.....they must all have done some hideous crime during their lives and instead of going to jail they were sentenced to so many years having to be a parking Attendant instead.

3. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Wrong thread

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I agree with you Plym except for the need to state the Attendant's colour which is not really relevant to the story. I am not trying to be PC either it's just an opinion.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

But it is political correctness that is stopping me saying the colour of the attendant.....although I'm allowed to mention five middle class white car owners....without comment ?

Fact 1.....the car drivers where...middle class white.
    Fact 2.....the parking attendant was black.

The result was a clash of cultures and the end result was no understanding of the obvious...that parking had become impossible in these bays legally..... and that the attendant was only programmed to do what his machine allowed him to do......no commonsense end result possible.....bad day for multiculturalism.

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Not PC at all Plym just not necessary to mention either the black or white. He was a parking attendant they were motorists. What does the colour of any of them add to the fact he was an officious idiot and they were rightly annoyed? I have to say it sounds as if the colour is more important than the story itself. Have you ever heard of a white parking attendant having any commonsense either? Nowt to do with culture just people in general being jobs worths. I am not stopping you saying what you have just pointing out what it sounds like is all.. Feel free to say what you like in any manner you wish.

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Further to the above....yet another card through the letter box today !!!.....hang on... it could be someone posting early to beat the Christmas rush....or they've found out that the cost of stamps will be going up this year.....

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Probably the second one. My daughter would do that but only as a last resort and if somebody else couldn't hand deliver it for her. She's very "careful".

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Why is it that the weather...gets it wrong at times....The Met Office and BBC say that it is...37f and only 12% chance of the wet stuff....but the Barometer says that the pressure is dropping and it is definitely raining but not so cold.....doesn't the weather ever check what it should be doing....especially when I've just put some washing out.

10. notDistantGreen

Fahrenheit? Is it the creeping Rees-Mogg effect dragging us back to the Georgian era?

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

At least we're still allowed to drive on the left and have are road signs in miles (nothing like a good old chain or furlong)....plus the British £, one thing we got right.

12. notDistantGreen

10 minutes devoted to the death of Karl Lagerfeld this morning. A weird dress maker who wasn't even honest enough to admit his true age or to acknowledge his own parents. Is there no real news?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Another weird German who thought he was the answer to the world.....whatever happened to the previous one...oh yea he committed suicide awhile back (I know he was Austrian but don't let the facts spoil a good story).

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

In our fashion driven world of today his death is clearly big big news. Shame on you for not realising that notdistant. The world is full of shallow people nowadays who wouldn't know what real news looked like if it fell on them.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Well definitely one for this site.....a mad mad world for 25/02/19.....temperature at 1300hrs in my corner of NW Kent is 70F (or for notDistant, who likes being modern...21C}

I popped out to the greenhouse and the temperature in there was 104F ( 40C)....so I left the doors open....which I normally don't bother with until normally May time....worlds going crazy....I expect we'll have to blame Brexit.

PS.....yet at 7am this morning the lawn and car were well frosted up....so at least a 40F ( 21C) swing in temperature in 5hrs.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  16. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

More ...mad, mad world....Temperature reading at 70F (21C) yesterday... and similar today....we're off to a day in Kew Gardens...which yesterday officially recorded the highest ever February temperature in the UK since records first started of 71.2F (21.5C).
    We have two Magnolias in our garden both quite large trees....the biggest is an1early flowerer...generally 3rd or 4th week of March and of course falls foul sometimes to frost.....this year both our bursting into flower before the end of February and with frost every morning might be casualties to such cold starts,

It's quite amazing how the temperature climbs from below freezing at dawn to such highish temperatures by mid-morning.

The large Camellia which is more sheltered is as yet not beyond buds and should be ok from frost.

The East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service had reports yesterday of two blazes in the New Forest.....although the cause of the fires as yet are to be determined, unusual warm February weather has meant the ground was drier than usual.

17. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's because I visited your neck of the woods and brought the delightful Devon weather with me. As you know the sun always shines on the righteous

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.....and on the unrighteous as well.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Only if they stand in my shadow...................

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I just read that Paul Scholes has resigned as Oldham manager after 31 days. He says he can't operate as he was led to believe he would be able to. That' ex footballer speak for "I haven't got a fecking clue what I'm doing and never realised life in league 2 meant I had no money. I'm used to millions of pound not hundreds of pennies." I'd stick to being an ex footballer if I was him.