1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's been a day....

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by alwaysright, Mar 1, 2020.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Since the latest very ordinary performance !
    Let's be honest - yesterday's defeat has been coming for some time. We may well have gone 15 games unbeaten - and there were some good performances---- but---- of late, there has not really been anything that remotely resembles anything convincing in our games.

We have ridden our luck a few times, and got results more from hard work and the poor quality of our opponents. Yesterday was always going to be tougher. It seems that AFC W use the games against Gills as their 'cup final.' The 4 ex Gills players obviously don't put in the same shift in other L1 fixtures - otherwise they wouldn't still be in real danger of relegation - despite the 6 points Gills have given them.

Wimbledon played with the sort of 'grit' that Gills have shown in the previous 15 games - and got a deserved reward - regardless of being lucky to keep all 11 on the pitch. Wimbledon exposed 2 basic weaknesses that Gills have;

No.1 we are not always going to match the commitment ( not to lose ), as shown by our [[ lower ]] opponents (( as demonstrated by Norwich and Watford this weekend ))................ and when we can't, No. 2 (( or should it be No.1 )), Gills haven't got enough quality to create opportunities to score enough to beat the opponent.

Play - Offs ------ we'll get absolutely roasted every week in the Championship. We are a long way from ready for promotion.......... but maybe not is all doom and gloom -

Evans is doing a reasonable job with the resources available. Will they be greater for next season ? Eventually Mr. Scally will have to realise that we will go nowhere without proper investment in the squad. Evans may be the 'Mad Dog' style of manager that brings us a shot at promotion - He has the credentials at L1 level - but he won't be able to bluff his way into the Championship, with only pair in his hand.

I've put my hand in my pocket ( so has my brother ) and between us we have bought 3 x two year season tickets...... over to you Mr.Scally

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

I had the Gills down as a draw this week, only because there was no way I could after an unbeaten run, predict us to lose at home. Some of that blame has to rest with us the fans. We don't always treat players in a favourable light from the terraces, nothing unusual in that, it's all part and part of the course of footballing life.

BUT....the visiting players then show the same passion, that we used to show as fans against an Evans side. I give you Crawley when we won the world cup. It's called pay back time and the ex Gills lads did it with interest! Can I blame them, not one bit, I would do exactly the same.

Steve Evans is also passionate, in the Mad Dog category, so i'll measure the response by the result at Sunderland next - it's then our players can show if they have the same true grit and determination, or whether this season will fizzle out as a wet blanket, no more than a job done.

alwaysright likes this.
  3. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Not sure if you were made aware but you're entitled to two free tickets for the home game against Accrington due to renewing early. I've seen a few people comment on twitter that this wasn't necessarily made aware to them when they renewed.

brb and alwaysright like this.
  4. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Thanks for reminding me -
    I thought that I had read that those renewing for 2 years would be sent the Accrington tickets -- but when my brother renewed his, he asked for them at the desk - and got them! I will have to phone the Club to make sure I get mine (( did I say the Club couldn't give a toss about STH once they've got your money? ))

Edit - DONE ! ( I don't hang about )

The Gills PegLeg and brb like this.