1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

It's going to be a long, long season.

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Chelsea Pensioner, Jan 12, 2023.

1. Chelsea Pensioner

Chelsea Pensioner Well-Known Member

Another loss to a team that is full of fizz and running, determination and effort.
    Again we repeat our seasons form, loads of ball, unable to do anything with it. Joao Felix looks good value, 60 mins on the pitch and 300 mins on the sidelines in his first 4 matches. That's a million quid in wages for an hours work.
    Seems everything we do backfires on us at the moment and Zakaria also joins the wounded ranks.
    Potter is not showing much in improving anything, but he's had a horrible run of luck too.
    We really need to clean out some players and quickly, at least 6 high earners I can think of would save us a fortune and bring in a few bob too. But it might also help to clear Potters thinking on who to play and who is worth bringing on. We look like a headless flock of chickens with no plan, no direction and no leadership.

2. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

You have a lot of injuries tbf.

Unfortunately I'm not sure Potter's going to last much longer.

You're 10th, I don't think you can make Top 4. The wise move would be to let Potter have this season now, you've got little to lose.

Naas Blue likes this.
  3. Naas Blue

Naas Blue Well-Known Member

Treble, that's either a very astute analysis or a massive troll. As i have had a few pints tonight i will reserve judgement <confused><confused><confused> !!!.....now i could quote your signature......<laugh>.

Treble likes this.
  4. Chelsea Pensioner

Makes sense to me too, we're dead ducks this season, nothing to aim for except winning CL !! Amazing to think many of the players in our squad actually did win the CL !!!!
    To be fair to Potter we need to see him,
    1. Get the injured players back
    2. Get in players he wants and rid of those he doesn't
    3. Get the team settled and playing properly by seasons end.

If he can't achieve #3, then he should go at seasons end in my book.
    If Boehly is as good as his word though, he will even give Potter a few months next season when all our new purchases are in place.That would be more than fair and probably sensible as well,( which we usually aren't).
    Painful watching even our really talented players being part of the worst Chelsea Team I've seen in many a long year.l

Treble likes this.
  5. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Nah it's genuine. Because we've been there a few times ourselves over the past 10 years <laugh> but we didn't have a decent manager like Potter at the time. So the best comparison I can make is when we wrote off last season around a year ago, focused on who in the squad were either part of the problem or simply not good enough <-------- this is the best thing Boehly can allow Potter to do. Then recruit wisely according who Potter wants in the summer then go for it in September.

6. Bullet tooth Tony

Bullet tooth Tony Well-Known Member

What really troubled me in the Fulham game was not our forwards, but our defence. Kouli made so many bad passes, he looked like a non league defender. Trevoh made so many errors of judgement it reminded me of how good Zouma was. Dave put the brakes on any chance of going forward we had. I hate to admit it but Fulham were better than us on the night. If we had Rudiger Christiansen Zouma with Silva choose any 2, we may have had a chance of winning.

7. Gareth1808

Gareth1808 Well-Known Member

I actually thought that was our best performance for weeks but I realise that isn’t much of a huge statement.

We still lack pace but at least with Felix we had a bit more invention. It’s the best performance I’ve seen of any player this season and he only played an hour...

The goals we let in though, my word. Kepa has gone back to his usual self. I expect we might be in the market for a keeper in the summer, which will cost us another 80M. Koulibaly too, I thought he was a great signing in the summer for the price we got him for but I can’t think of watching a worse defender in the last 20 years. Boulahrouz wasn’t even this bad, how is he still getting picked every week?!

Looks like another 100M signing coming in anyway, as you do...anybody seen him play? I haven’t...surprised he’s wanting to come here to play with this lot.

The scary thing is we’ve spent almost 500M and I’d say we’re still a keeper, striker, probably 2 midfielders and a right back option short.

8. Chelsea Pensioner

No change from what we've needed last 5 or 6 seasons, and we need 2 strikers, not just 1. We keep buying players "for the future" but not so far for the present.
    Let's be a bit reflective. Potter has had appalling luck with injuries since he arrived. He's had a 6 week break for WC, He had no idea what Boehleys recruits would be like because they were bought for Audi , who has a very different set up to Potter. So Potter, who has not impressed me one jot, deserves to see out this season, get his discards out of the Club, and get in his choices. Only then can he be judged on his abilities. So who is signing all these new players and chasing half of Europe??? Potter or Boehly ?? Even though he's thankfully stepped away and got in someone who should know what he's doing, Boehly has set us back a full season. Very expensive lesson for Boehly, and he's also endangered our ability to spend within the rules, having pissed away more than 250 mill on duds.
    So, here we are 10th on the list, out of form, out of confidence, being run by amateurs at the P Club level.
    Time these players lifted their heads, earned their obscene salaries, restored some pride in themselves and our Club and acted like professionals, not some pub team playing for pints.Last chance saloon for some of our overpaid whingeing bludgers, there's lots of good kids like Lewis Hall dying for a chance.

9. Chelsea Pensioner

Well, look what we can do with a few kids and a bit of experience.
    Arsenal, City, Utd and Liverpool will not be quaking in their boots, but we had some drive, some passion and a bit of good play.
    Hall was terrific, a few defensive errors for sure, but the kid is looking really good. I'll have him before La Cucaracca every game.
    Trevoh played well with Silva at the helm and our new bloke ( whose name I can't even remember) also doing well on debut.
    Chucky is the future, Gallagher was everywhere and a pain in Palaces' arse, and looked the business. Only the stars looked ordinary. Mount is just plain out of form, Jorginho slowed everything down and spent the entire game facing the wrong way, looking back at our goal. Won't be soon enough when he moves on. Havertz continues to show he's no striker, but is a weapon. Ziyech put in with some clever play. Special praise to Kepa, who Gareth rightly panned last game, but he was immense this one.
    Palace were up for the fight, tested us all game long.
    In the end we won because we were better. Better motivated and better energy.
    Some light at last in the tunnel. Trust the kids , dump the flops, move on and improve.