1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours January 2018 Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saints Fan4Life, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Saints Fan4Life

Saints Fan4Life Well-Known Member

2. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Yes OK then, I think we agreed end of November but you have a point that it will be a big one.

3. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Big....nah don’t think so..........massive oh yes...........

4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Gabbi? Jeez, no.

If we sell Gabbi I can see us signing a target man and three months later bemoaning that we don't have a striker mking good runs off of him.

5. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

I'd imagine gabbiadini is ready for offers. Long and Austin may as well not be here at all. Davis needs to be replaced. Tadic is a lost man. Redmond does nothing much of note ever. Forster is a different player than he was under koeman and needs to be gone from the starting 11 asap. VVD is here on borrowed time anyway and Bertrand probably should have moved on in the summer. That about covers it I think. I reckon that about 11 new first team players and outlay of 300 million pounds would sort it out.

6. SaintinNZ

SaintinNZ Well-Known Member

He is one of the best players I've seen in a saints shirt for a decade. I feel so sorry for him out there I'd release the poor sod to go play with a team that actually knows how to pass quickly and in the right general direction.

VVD likes this.
  7. Bill Hill

Bill Hill Well-Known Member

If gab is sold we can all pack up and go home.

One of the best players we have had in a long time with a group of players behind him incapable of finding a forward pass.

mowgli, Libby, HarryTipper and 5 others like this.
  8. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Correct. Though I don’t think they’re incapable, I think they’re out on their arses in coaching terms.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

We could have Aguero up front right now, and we wouldn’t score any more goals.

10. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I cannot understand why Davis gets slated in this board. I think he is one of the first name I would put on the sheet. That said, I agree with your assessment of the other players even if I would retain Long who always puts in a shift whenever he plays. He just needs someone to play off against up front. It must be frustrating for Gabbi but I am surprised that no one seems to have mentioned Cedric's crossing which always makes me despair. Oddly, the best thing this season is that we now have decent competition for the central defence whereas last season we were fortunate to have Maya and Stephens step up to the plate. I would like to see Boufal given more of a chance and surely he must have now edged away from Tadic in the selection.? The big problems for Saints in recent years has been a lack of contribution by the midfield amongst the goal tally.

11. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

We don't need to completely change our squad - I think we are very close to having a top side. Our defensive unit, so from Romeu and Lemina back, is absolute class. Gabbi is also a brilliant striker. It's just the 3 positons we use behind the striker and back up to Gabbi we struggle with. Tadic and Long need to go. I'd then bring in 2 creative midfielders who will be a goal threat and create chances. I'd then get a target man up front to give us options.

garysfc likes this.
  12. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Gabbi is the only striker I would keep! Just need some attacking midfielders who can put through balls into the space he keeps running into
    Would also go for a proper big centre forward/target man but I think the biggest issue is with out attacking midfielders especially Tadic and Redmand who are looking clueless and I struggle to understand why MP keeps picking them, rather play McQueen/Hesketh/JWP etc

manxsaint likes this.
  13. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I wouldn't be holding your breath about the January window being a big one. The summer window should have been a big one, or the January window before that, or the summer window before that.

Put forward any argument you like about why it should be a big one (and I'd almost certainly be agreeing with you, by the way), and I'll point out that the exact same argument applied previously too. And yet no action was taken then...

14. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

At least he'd actually be on the pitch though. I'm not sure even MP could justify leaving Aguero out for Long, or hauling Aguero off about 55 mins for Austin.

Libby likes this.
  15. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Vietto?

Libby and VVD like this.
  16. Saintjoey

Saintjoey Well-Known Member

We urgently need pace on the sides to get in behind. Happy with Boufal but we need somebody equally creative on the right and through the centre to ensure Gab isn’t always the only one making a run which makes him highly markable

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think most of us mean “big” in terms of “significant” Brendy. If the board back whichever manager is in place then by spending big on targets we should have got last summer, that will show ambition. If, on the other hand, we sell Virgil and Bertrand but don’t spend, that will signify Mr Gao is here to asset strip. The truthfully probably lie somewhere in between!

18. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

I don’t see how ppl can contemplate selling gabbiadini. Ridiculous, he is class.

Long off Redmond off tadic off. Don’t let the door hit your fat ass VVD.

Reinvest in an expensive striker and no 10.

Boufal can go in summer if he’s still not producing.

milton archer likes this.
  19. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

Ship out VVD, This distraction hasn't helped and we have decent cover.

I'm all for the board making a stand keeping a player, though would rather they done that with Mane.

We could get 2/3 forward players for that fee alone but are in need of more of a clear out.

Freshen things up a bit

20. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Difference here is that by Jan we could be in a relegation battle (if the board don't think we already are). All the other windows we have had this complacency/arrogance that we are good enough without having to do too much. But I don't think it will be a particularly busy one either, but that is because it is January and harder to get players than in the summer. If we signed more than 1 player I would be surprised.