1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January - Stick or Twist?

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Dec 9, 2018.

?

What should happen in January?

1. We don't need any signings, just promote some youth!

2. We could do with one or two to add a bit of competition

3. We need a handful, at the very least 3 or 4!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Thought I'd do this as a thread and not just a post on RCL's transfer one seeing it's not news or rumours but more about opinion.

Having had what's fair to say a very underwhelming summer where we became the first Premier League side not to sign anyone, the squad has been massively stretched in the past couple months as a potential effect of such a barren summer coupled with the strains of the latter stages of the World Cup (come on, admit it, who saw Moussa Sissoko becoming our key CM in the first half of the season?!). Despite this streched period, the team and Poch have done remarkably well to keep up with our rivals who all spent generously on trying to improve their squads.

So, with January fast approaching, what are you hoping for once the winter window opens? I'll run a little poll but it'll be good to state what/ who you'd like and why, see if people are on the same wavelength or not.

2. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

For me, it's pretty paramount that two midfielders arrive, one CM and one DM:
    CM
    Dream signing (one of): De Jong/ Ndombele/ Rabiot/ Milinkovic-Savic
    Good signing (one of): Doucoure/ Barella/ Tielemans (HBIC wouldn't know what to do with himself)/ Ruben Neves/ Super Jack Grealish

DM
    Ideal signing would be Wilmar Barrios, despite his sending off today in the Copa Libertadores, he seems an ideal Poch-type DM.
    A wildcard signing would be Sander Berge, earning good reviews at Genk and at just 20, is at the perfect age for Poch to mould into his ideal DM.

These signings also depend on shifting players out, our squad can't add without selling so I'd like to see the likes of Dembele, Wanyama, GKN, Janssen and possibly Llorente all moved on.

If we can get those two positions sorted, I'll be a very happy man and would fancy the club to have a strong second half of the season with the hope of winning some silverware.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

We could do with one or 2 players.

1 or 2 that are first team ready...none of this buying today playing in 2021...sick of that...it's a cycle we never quite reach the end of.

CM and a good back up to Kane? Son played upfront yesterday...he did ok but against a better team he would be annoying because I believe his head down approach would keep on losing possession for us. You can't play like a winger through the middle. I'd like to see us go for Mitrovic...would be a great plan B and I think would put serious pressure on Kane

CM...we won't be buying the type of quality I think we need so I'm not sure who to suggest. I said the likes of Savic but I'm dreaming of winning trophies

Ben Chillwell would be a v good LB addition for us imo. More menacing than Davies and more available than injury prone Rose....but maybe a summer bid for him.

Would have gone for the option of needing more than a few players...however I see no point in that in January...since too many additions can be disruptive and I'm thinking of players to get into the first team not squad fillers. I feel like a deluded twat writing all this since I'm convinced we ain't getting anyone

4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Mitrovic has looked great this season, I wouldn’t say no to him, although I don’t think he’d fancy a move to us tbh. He had some troubles at Newcastle and has just began to re-establish his career at Fulham, can’t see him leaving that to play a bit-part role while he’s impressing in the Prem.

Not that I’m complaining but Kane makes buying a second striker one of the hardest things to do for us. He’s so good that anyone knows if they join Spurs they’ll be second fiddle and for most playing regular in Europe’s top five leagues it just ain’t an appealing prospect to just sit on our bench more weeks than not. I think our best bet might be looking at the championship, few good strikers down there that’d probably be open to doubling their wages and potentially getting minutes in the Prem/ Europe. I’ve spoken about Ollie Watkins in the past, looks a class player in the making and can also play in any of the three positions behind the striker. Assombalonga is also another good striker, probably been the most consistent in the championship over the past few years.

EDIT: I’d also 100% take Chilwell and would happily offer Rose plus dough for him, although he only signed a new deal a month or two back so likelihood is that’ll be a summer move moreso than one next month.

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I agree about Mitrovic we won't get him.

Just splash it all on a Rolls Royce midfielder...that's all this team needs for the immediate future and present...I'm not sure who though.

The Changing Man and Dier Hard like this.
  6. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Reinforcements in midfield definitely required - As for names I don't watch enough continental football to comment on many of the names people mention, (though Ndombele has looked excellent in the champions league highlights I have seen) and there appear to be enough players of the required quality around for us to be able to get at least one in and hopefully two. Now I do watch a lot of Championship football and Kalvin Phillips at Leeds has looked very good so far this year, and is one that I think we should certainly be monitoring, and though a January move maybe unlikely an Alli style sign and loan back maybe a consideration.

If Jansen is fit I would like Poch to take another look, he fits our system much better than Llorente and though its doubtful that he will ever be a prolific goalscorer his all round play would I think create chances in Harrys absence for the likes of Sonny, Lucas and Dele and may if nothing else increase his value for a summer transfer.

7. No Kane No Gain

No Kane No Gain Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what happens Tuesday. If we go through I'd like to see us strengthen, if we end up in the EL then I'd be happy for use it to blood some of our younger players and our squad should be good enough to get us top 4 and deal with an FA Cup run.

We probably will make a signing or 2 in Jan regardless as, despite Levy's reputation with some fans, he knows it would look bad if we go a year without making a signing, especially with the new stadium on the horizon.

Also, when we look at the squad there's quite a lot that we should be looking at replacing over the next 2 transfer windows. Wanyama and Dembele are crocked, Toby's probably off, our fullbacks have a lot of issues and Eriksen might not be here next season but we need a backup for him anyway. Wanyama's replacement is probably most urgent as it'd free up Dier to be rested and drop into cb when needed but I'd worry whether Barrios would take most of the rest of the season to adapt. Sandro was a January signing iirc and he was useless in the first 6 months for us.

Fulham wouldn't sell Mitrovic for anything at the moment and I'm not sure he'd fit in any better than Janssen or Llorente. Same lack of pace and inability to drift into other areas of the pitch that Kane does so well. I still don't think we can reasonably get a striker that would do better than Son and Lucas anyway. It'd be a long shot but if we were bidding for a Fulham player we'd be better off going for Sessegnon because his value exceeds what he's contributing currently, unlike Mitrovic, and Ranieri may well want some money available for proven players.

Dier Hard likes this.
  8. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

We've had our best start ever in the PL despite lots of injuries and players being tired after the world cup.
    It would still be good to strengthen if we can but it's going to cost £50m+ to get any player better than what we have.
    I do think we need to sell Llorente, Janssen and Nkodou though as they won't get enough game time to make it worth paying them. That creates one PL non home grown slot. For Wanyama and Dembele I'm happy to trust the club to make the right call.

9. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

Reports from this morning claiming that the Toby to UTD deal might be on in January.
    If this happens I'd like to try and get Tarkowski from Burnley- which would help our HG quota.

Dier Hard likes this.
  10. The Huddlefro

The Huddlefro Well-Known Member

Or Lascelles at Newcastle, though I doubt they'd sell us their captain in January in the middle of a relegation scrap - then again this is Ashley we're dealing with so if we throw enough cash at him then anything is possible.

I've voted above for signing one or two because I think that realistically represents what we will do, maximum, in January, any more than that probably isn't practical and might disrupt the squad at any rate. Priority next month has to be the midfield replacing Dembele and Wanyama. I don't see us having significant 'unwanted' outgoings in January so any issues about replacing Toby or getting a new LB or backup striker will have to be addressed in the summer (though I agree with having another look at Janssen if he can finally get fit).

Overall I think we need between 3 to 5 players in the next two transfer windows depending on who leaves and if Janssen gets a second chance, one or two of them immediately in Jan. Who we get, especially in midfield, is another matter entirely. Sander Berge looks tasty on youtube but I've never actually seen him play, Barrios could be a good option. Of the more attacking players mentioned I worry that we would be outbid on wages if they became available and that they may well not be available mid-season anyway.

Dier Hard likes this.

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I actually think Phillip's name has popped up in a Spurs transfer link a couple months back, don't know anything about him though to be honest but Leeds have produced some decent players in the past and with Bielsa as manager they'll understand how a Poch team works seeing as Poch has often referenced Bielsa as his inspiration/ idol.

My friend is the same as you, wants Janssen to get another shot. Personally I think it's a lost cause but he's adamant he can provide good competition for Harry if he gets a second chance. I suppose it might be worth a shot, it's unlikely we'll sign another striker anytime soon what with him and Llorente still on the books - and the latter has barely had a sniff this season.

12. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Definitely twist, but the thing we need to remember is that if we want to sign any non-HG players we need to move out a non-HG player first

Failing that, there are some HG players we can look at who are in the last few months of their contracts, most notably Declan Rice and Victor Moses, as well as the various HG prospects in the Championship we've been linked to such as Ollie Watkins and Bradley Dack

Dier Hard likes this.
  13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I still think that regardless of what European competition we'll be playing in after tomorrow night, the club could still use a new CM at least. Sissoko's been great lately but as I pointed out last week, he can't maintain his level of performance in quick succession due to the intense running he gets through each game and so it'd be good to have someone to rotate with him/ challenge him. A new CM could also allow Sissoko to rotate with Dier and play as a DM whch he's capable of doing.

I really hope we tie Eriksen to a new deal, rumour has it he wants parity with Kane - give him it, he's worth it. Although I do have a bad feeling Barca will come sniffing in the summer as a long term Rakitic successor.

As for Barrios, so long as Dier doesn't get any injuries, he wouldn't be needed to set the world alight from the off but if he were to join, it'd be nice to at least ease him into some matches, last 20 minutes or so of certain games in place of Dier could work and also allow Dier a small bit of rest.

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

A £50m signing improves the XI and although that's the ideal scenario, especially at CM, I think improving the quality of the squad is still beneficial. If say we can't entice a new £50m CM to join, I think it'd still be worth bringing in a CM who can still make some form of impact, even if it's as a rotation option.

Completely agree with the outgoings, all are foreign and collecting a wage for doing sod all. Selling those three probably frees up about £100k in wages and I'd also shift Dembele and Wanyama as well so long as we could bring someone in.

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I like Tarkowski, I mentioned his name in the summer as a potential option as I thought Toby was a goner and so felt we needed a new CB to challenge Jan and Dave.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Think Lascelles just signed a new deal, mate, so can't see him leaving in January. Summer could be a strong possibility, especially if Newcastle go down, he won't want a second spell in the championship if he has any England aspirations.

3 to 5 over the next two windows sounds right to me as well, priority for January is ideally a CM and DM. Then in the summer, I think we should look at replacing Rose, Toby (if he doesn't sign a new deal) and then maybe trying to get someone in who can have more of an effect than Llorente or Janssen.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

That's going to be the toughest part, actually shifting the deadwood. Two years ago all of Europe would've lined up for the likes of Dembele and Wanyama, now we'd probably struggle to convince West Ham to take on another crock, even if it is their speciality.

I mentioned before that Nando, Janssen, GK, Dembele, Wanyama and Vorm could all be moved on in January and we wouldn't feel weakened by the departures due to the fact none have contributed (or barely) to this season, nor most of last season. Might be time for Levy to swallow a bit of pride and just accept pretty much any offer that comes in for any of those, he won't be getting premium rates.

Rice would be a decent signing based on how well he's done this season, I'm a big fan of Watkins and would take him any day of the week, especially as his versatility means he can play in multiple positions, Dack is probably the Championship's best player, whether he could make an impact here considering the talent we have at AM is something to wonder but he wouldn't be a bad signing by any means.

18. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

I was impressed with Wily Boly of Wolves yesterday. First time I've really noticed him but he won everything in the air defending set pieces.

19. NSIS

NSIS Well-Known Member

Twist. We have to, IMO.

Seen rumours that Feyenoord’s Vilhena is on our radar too....

Dier Hard likes this.
  20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Assuming that Dembele and Wanyama aren't up to it anymore, we have to bring in replacements.

One possibility could be to bring in a fairly short-term signing that could hit the ground running and give younger players a chance to get up to speed.
    Morgan Schneiderlin wouldn't be high on many people's lists, but I think that he ticks a lot of the boxes.
    He played his best football under Pochettino at Southampton, he's out of favour at Everton and he'd probably favour the move.
    He's homegrown, not cup tied in Europe and knows the league very well.