1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer option?

Discussion in 'Cardiff City' started by Jay-Rede, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Life in the Prem isn't easy for a keeper unless you've real Prem class players in front of you. Sadly after a decent and unexpected start, Hull don't appear to have the quality to survive long term.

There's no doubt Marshall prolonged our own hopes of staying up well into the season we were there - without him we would have been confirmed down well before Easter.

He may well have made the wrong decision to go, but on the other hand probably so did we to allow him to.

3. BluefromBridgend

BluefromBridgend Well-Known Member

We will never know but it would be interesting to find out where the money we got for Marshie went.

Not seen anything of the Bournemouth game but should he have stopped or was he responsible for any of the goals conceded?

4. DaiJones

DaiJones Well-Known Member

Anything over 20 yards and he's in trouble. A good shot stopper yes but everything else he's found wanting.

5. DaiJones

6. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

To be honest I'm quite happy with Amos, unlike Marshie he seems able to distribute the ball out quickly and accurately.

Then again I was one of those who would have gladly seen Marshall go if it meant keeping Heaton.

7. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Especially when they were bandying figures around far higher than what we got.

8. ninian opinion

ninian opinion Well-Known Member

He's had little chance with any of the goals conceded by Hull. Their defence is shocking.

He's the best keeper City have had since Healey & Dibble. To think if he hadn't got injured we'd never had to put up with Bywater and may have won promotion earlier than we did.

I just did not see any reason to sell him. Amos is ok but I'd like to see a better keeper coming in January.

9. DaiJones

Me too, I always thought he was a better all round keeper than Marshall.

10. BluefromBridgend

I'm with Ninian on this. Marshie was our best keeper since God was a lad. Nothing wrong with Heaton and I like the guy and admire what he did in telling Fergie he wanted to go. However, Heaton being a little smaller wasn't great on crosses either and got beaten by some top corner shots that Marshie's extra height enabled him to claw away.

From memory Heaton's distribution was no better than Marshie's.

Both very good keepers and we were lucky to have them at the club at the same time.

11. isawronnymoorescore

isawronnymoorescore Well-Known Member

I can remember certain people on here who reckoned Marshall was worth £15m oh well wont say who it was, but Mr Smug (me) got the valuation spot on.

12. BluefromBridgend

Brownie points for smug isawronny. <applause>

However, what's done is done and perhaps we should now be looking forward and "helping" Colin identify targets he could go for in January.

As we know Lambert is in dire need of capable support and we need someone else who can actually score goals. Whether or not Chamakh can do this remains to be seen. I think Watt (if we could get him) would compliment Lambert with his energy and enthusiasm. Unfortunately that ship might have sailed.

Who else out there can do a job for us?

As ever we need that box to box midfielder who can attack, defend, tackle, score goals, make the tea etc. There must be someone who Colin can make a play for. Suggestions please.

It may be that with the additions of Bamba, Hoilett and Richardson and if Bennett maintains the promise he showed against the Wurzels that we have most areas covered. Some would say we still need a better keeper. For me the jury is still out on Amos. I would have been more comfortable if he had saved Tomlin's shot s that indicated a possible weakness. We shall see.

13. DaiJones

Not for me BfB scored 2 goals in 9 for us, 1 in 9 for Blackburn and 1 in 9 for Hearts.

4 goals in 27 games !!

14. Stevoldinho

Stevoldinho Well-Known Member

Warnock will be able to do better than Watt imo.

15. BluefromBridgend

Okay points accepted although I think Watt's attributes would be a good foil for Lambert and help create the space he needs.

If not him, then who else can we suggest to Colin? <whistle>

16. Jay-Rede

Fraizer?

17. BluefromBridgend

Hmmm, first in Jay. Good shout.

I see he was on the bench for Palace on Saturday so assume he's fit. Just turned 29 so a year or three left at his best if he can stay fit - always a problem having played only 262 league, cup and other games in a 10 year career - 75 goals. Would he take a wages drop to return and there is also the old adage of don't go back?

If sure of his fitness he would be worth taking on loan in January always assuming he is not happy bench warming and picking up a Prem salary at Palace.

His Palace deal runs off in the summer of 2017 so they probably want him off the books as no mention of new contract discussions.

18. Jay-Rede

The don't go back business, meh. Chops returned and was still at his best. I doubt he would come back as his wages will probably be too high for us, but could be a punt?

19. BluefromBridgend

The don't go back business, meh.

Earnie?

I guess for everyone that fails, Koumas, there could be one that works, e.g Bellamy, although not quite so hot to trot second time around.

20. Ccfc4ever

Ccfc4ever Well-Known Member

Earnie was in his 30s when he came back, I can remember Mackay playing Miller ahead of him quite a lot mind.

Koumas was a weird one as he seemed to have lost all love for the game when he came back.