1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Not sure if we have this yet but seems a decent time to start one now we are in December?

Anyway first main rumour is Nixon (I know I know) saying we are after an experienced midfielder tonight.

Whilst he’s probably guessing (he usually is when he doesn’t name specifics), it would make some sense. I think Ba, Michut and Matete will all be top players but I’d be wanting to loan Matete out in January as he’s not getting the game time he needs and isn’t QUITE championship ready IMO.

could see Ba loaned out in Jan as wel, if somebody else came in. I think Ba could end up the best of the lot so need to ensure his development is well managed

Random lad, COYCS and Oliver's Army like this.
  2. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Good stuff. I'm excited to see who we bring in. I can see one or two leaving though and we may not be too pleased about it. (Just guessing btw)

Random lad likes this.
  3. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

A backup or compliment to Evans would be great but with so many CMs you wonder what that would mean for the likes of Matete, Ba and Michut. 3rd striker in the Broadhead mould would be great. I don't think we need a great deal of bodies through the door which makes a wonderful change. Genuine competition for Patterson and maybe a 4th wide player to compete with Clarke if I'm being really greedy

I'm terms of outgoings, Dajaku and Matete could leave without us needing to replace them. Wonder if Hume would benefit from a loan spell to L1 or bottom end of Championship.

Young Ted, Sunderpitt and Robertson like this.
  4. TopCat_

Stewart is the big question mark. Do we stick or twist? Seems as though the lad wants away (or at least wants money we cannot/will not pay). I'd be gutted if he went next month as there is very little quality about in Jan. Be better all round if he goes in the summer

Sunderpitt and Oliver's Army like this.
  5. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

I'd be a lot more comfortable with us activating the additional year and coming to an agreement with him about moving in the summer when we can properly prepare a replacement.

6. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Oh ****, here we go again... :emoticon-0102-bigsm

7. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

Wether he stays or goes we still need another centre forward bringing in. Two if he leaves.

8. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I think an experienced midfielder is to compliment Evans this season and replace him next. Evans is 33 next summer and out of contract. Next season after 6 months out on loan Matete may be ready to contribute more regularly and it also gives the new experienced player 6 months to ease into a new club before he needs to run the midfield.

I agree that a 3rd striker is a must and that someone in a different mould to the other 2 is preferable. Joe Gelhardt on loan would be a great addition.

After that, I don't think we need anyone. Dejaku and Hume out on loan is a good plan. Hume can come back fighting for that 1st team spot next season.

9. rowley

rowley Well-Known Member

Once we get most of the lads back, Im not sure we're desperate for much apart from up front.

Always good to strengthen, and I imagine we'll see some young incomings at least. But certainly we need to sort out the Ross situation and get another if he leaves, and ideally even if he doesn't.

But no one can think we aren't doing proper, serious research now, so we can hope there'll be a decent window.

Random lad likes this.
  10. Essayyeffcee

Essayyeffcee Well-Known Member

Here's an idea I've had. Say Stewart does want away and Everton come in for him - would you ask them for Simms as had been muted previously as well as get them to recall Broadhead and throw him in and a few million on top?

Random lad likes this.

11. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Why focus the fun into a single month when we can spread it over two :D

Hudson92 and Prehab26 like this.
  12. TopCat_

Think the player has to agree and if he's turned us down once I don't see any reason why he'd suddenly change his mind

13. Flash Gordon

Broadhead has made no impact at all at Wigan this season and we already know he's injury prone. I'd stay clear altogether now.

Simms I like, and if he was thrown in at a value of say £2.5m then I'd be fine with that to soften the blow. What I wouldn't want is Simms to be around half the value of Stewart and decrease our ability to invest and replace him.

14. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Just a thought. We got Stewart because Johnson and Speakman rated him highly but instead of waiting for him to be on a free, and likely losing out to someone, we chucked a couple of hundred grand at it that nobody else would. I wonder if they are looking at lads with 6 months left, willing to spend where others wont. It is probably a good Jan tactic to get some long term prospects done.

15. FellTop

I am still unsure on Simms. Would you bid £2.5m for him if it wasnt part of the Stewart deal? Dont think I would. Probs £1m tops for me.

Makemstine Roger and young2077 like this.
  16. Flash Gordon

We got Roberts in the same way. He was free in the summer but we agreed to sell on clauses and cash upon promotion to get him from City before he was a free agent.

Random lad and FellTop like this.
  17. Flash Gordon

I think £1m is peanuts. I'm not totally sold on Simms but he has 5 goals this season and he's been injured. I'd pay £2.5m for someone who could contribute 15 goals a season at this level which I think Simms can. Add in that he's only 21 and you could easily be making a significant profit in 3-4 years.

18. FellTop

I know Jonson Clarke-Harris is an old link, and doesnt fit the model. I could see us making the odd exception now though to the model. He will be in his last year of contract next year, teams will be all over him in the summer. Peterbotough would probably take £1m-£1.5 in Jan. If Stewart goes and we get Simms part ex, somebody like Harris would make sense.

19. TopCat_

Heard owt? Any PMs going?

:emoticon-0140-rofl:

20. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

This is the big question for me!