1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

January transfer thread

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Southern A, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

When people question why we're doubling or trebling up on certain positions they need to think we're also planning for inevitable departures. Anderson is a typical example as we must know Ballard can't be kept here for too long. If we go out and buy a young keeper you'll know Patterson is attracting serious attention. If we have replacements in place it will mean we can start negotiations earlier and get absolutely top dollar for our players.

2. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

One of the podcasts a few weeks ag said that if you chucked a brick at Danny Batth he'd head it away

Essayyeffcee, DH4, TonyG and 5 others like this.
  3. Smug in Boots

He reminds me of John McPhail who's expression never changed ...

... he'd just get on with the game, head never dropped and he didn't smile until full time, if we'd won <laugh>

FellTop, Jarca, Young Ted and 6 others like this.
  4. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

I know mate, I mentioning tongue in cheek! The poster has replied and said it was early doors of him coming here anyway!

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  5. Milton Nunez's Thong

Milton Nunez's Thong Well-Known Member

Patterson was very good again yesterday (although perhaps could have done better for their disallowed goal). Made one wxcellent save in particular

Smug in Boots likes this.
  6. TopCat_

Thought the same at the time - looked similar to the goal v Wigna, but if he saw it late due to the offside player then I can understand why he couldn't push it out to the side

cumbrianmackem and young2077 like this.
  7. young2077

young2077 Well-Known Member

Agree with this, thought it was down to an error but looks like he saw it late so his reaction time wasn't enough to push it away to safety.

Hence the reason it was ruled offside.

TopCat_ likes this.
  8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

One thing I like about Ballard is when he goes marauding up the pitch especially when we're chasing the game, he's made things happen a few times. Refuses to accept being beaten.

Young Ted, Nads, TonyG and 1 other person like this.
  9. Iain

Iain Well-Known Member

Patterson had a contract till 2026 so we will only lose him if we want to,, if we want to keep him we will have 3 and 1/2 years to organise a new deal. This needs to be the main thing we need to be able to do for this model to work, get all our prospects tied to longer contracts before they get into the last 18 months of their contracts.
    It doesn't mean we won't sell it just means we are in control of how much they go for and aren't forced to sell at a cheaper price as they can leave for free in 12 months which was the problem with Maja and could be the same with Stewart

cumbrianmackem and TopCat_ like this.
  10. The Redbaron

The Redbaron Well-Known Member

Any player can be kept, IF, there is a willingness by those powers that be. If your building something and don't have to seel, then don't.

11. Smug in Boots

We're creating an environment where players get their chance and can develop with good facilities and coaches. The better it becomes the more players will want to come and stay. Promotion would help players like Ballard who know they're young enough to stay a while ...

... Stewart is coming up to 27 so we'd need to go up by next season at the latest.

12. Young Ted

Young Ted Well-Known Member

Clarks the worlds worst for playing with his shorts I’m thinking of sending him a snake belt

13. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

At the start of the season we were rumoured to be chasing Iversen (then Leicester's number 3) to provide an experienced Championship keeper to be our number 1. We gambled and stuck with Patto and now he's linked with the Leicester to play ahead of both Iversen and Ward.

It shows just how quickly Patterson has developed.

Dorset, Daz, Scout73 and 5 others like this.
  14. Young Ted

Young Ted Well-Known Member

I’m pleased we stuck with the lad there was a few on here wanting a new number 1 last summer and patto as the cover so well done to the managers and staff for sticking with him, he’ll make mistakes he’s a young lad but it’s all about game time and learning,what keeper dosnt make mistakes

Dorset, Smug in Boots, Nordic and 3 others like this.
  15. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I was one of them. 12 months ago he was playing in the National League and we were moving into the Championship, it wasn't an unreasonable position. He's made mistakes this season but he's doing the most important thing, which is learning from them and improving. His positioning and decision making at the minute seem light years ahead of where they were at the start of the season. Long may his development continue.

16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Interesting...

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  17. Prehab26

Prehab26 Well-Known Member

Definitely 1 I would have taken for the run in. Use option to the hits to allow Amad and co to do their thing.

18. Brainy Dose

Brainy Dose Well-Known Member

Not for me. 34,can't do a job for Bristol C. Amad,Pat and Jack are going to be 5 yards ahead of him.Just what we should avoid.
    Reminds me of when we signed Mick Harford....big heart,but stiff as a board.

19. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

Yeh I'm happy without.

Like all of these decisions there are pros and cons of bringing in somebody like Chris Martin or not. I'm probably 55-45 towards not taking somebody like that.

It's not that I don't agree with arguments like Prehab's - I do. But its all about balancing and I think I've landed on the same side as Speakman etc

20. TopCat_

100% agree. If we lost Ballard, Cirkin and Neil this summer then we (technically) have Anderson, Huggins/Alese and Michut as immediate replacements

It's clever planning by the club