1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Japanese Grand Prix chat & predictions

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Oct 8, 2019.

?

yadda yadda yadda

Poll closed Oct 12, 2019.
  1. Lewis Hamilton

71.4%
  2. Charles Le Clerc

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Valtieri Bottas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sebastian Vettel

14.3%
  5. Max Verstappen

14.3%
  6. someone else who really has no chance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Yeah, it was naughty. Leclerc ended up having to come in anyway so he gained nothing by staying out with his car in that state. But I can’t se why Leclerc or Ferrari would worry if it compromised Hamilton a bit.

2. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

Should of had a black and white flag for Verstappen. Should have had a black and Orange flag for the damage on his car spaying into Hamilton. I guess those flags blew away during the storm.

3. allsaintchris.

allsaintchris. Well-Known Member

So what has a Ferrari got to do to get a penalty these days!?

4. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Welcome :)

5. Number 1 Jasper

So Ferrari told / agreed with leclerc that he should stay out …..

Below is taken from the FIA statement .

After this second piece detached, the team felt the car was now in a safe condition and despite previously telling the Race Director that the car would be called to the pits, they told car 16 to remain out and not to pit. On lap 3 the Race Director called the team and directed the car be brought to the pits for inspection. Car 16 pitted at the end of lap 3. By not bringing car 16 into the pits at the end of lap 1, immediately after the incident for a safety inspection when there was damage clearly visible and then by telling the driver to remain out for an additional lap after telling the Race Director otherwise, the team created an unsafe condition on the circuit which only narrowly avoided being a major incident and also increased the likelihood of additional incidents after the one noted.

ched999uk likes this.
  6. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Is it just me or is the Amazon tyre predictor complete cr4p? It was showing Lewis as 70% tyre left on his mediums when he pitted? Now after 9 laps it's showing 10% left. If that was correct surely Lewis could have stayed out on the Mediums and kept 2nd place Seb says tyres on last legs!
    Also it said that Sebs tyres with a few laps to go had 50% left then on cool down Seb said tyres almost gone!!!

7. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

I can't understand why Mercedes gave Lewis med tyres for a one stop. Is Toto on a % bonus of Valtieri's winnings?
    As to CLC's wing, meh, I don't remember anyone getting flagged for a bit of carbon fiber flapping in the breeze.

8. Number 1 Jasper

It did come off and hit Lewis car , tearing / breaking off the wing mirror . Sure it would have hurt if it hit his body ( unlikely as that may have been ) .

9. ched999uk

I wonder if it hit the Halo first then mirror or just mirror. Either way it wouldn't have needed to much more central to be straight at his helmet!!
    Remember Massa getting hit by the spring!!!!! Halo has helped but stewards should have forced CLC to pit or even stop immediately. Just giving him a few seconds penalty after the race doesn't deter other teams from staying out in future with bits dangling off the car. Another slippery slope F1 are treading, just like the 'slow down under yellows prepare to stop' has turned into just lift for a fraction of a second and you are following the rules!!!
    While motor sport is dangerous some dangers can be eliminated quite easily.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

It hit Hamitons chassis by the radio antenna, the wing mirror and the edge of the halo. Upon breaking apart over Hamiltons car another stray piece ended in Landos brake duct causing him to pit to have it cleared.

Quite the mess but I suppose they got off lightly given it was the cars that took the hits not them.

Number 1 Jasper and ched999uk like this.

11. Big Ern

big difference between chunk of metal and some super lightweight carbon fubre.
    I will see what people say next time someone has a bit of carbon that's not properly attached any more, ie, every single time there's a tiny bit of contact or a puncture.

12. ched999uk

While you are quite right about metal vs carbon. The 'bit of light weight carbon' was enough to smash off the mirror which is attached enough to be an aero device and either add down force or direct air flow!
    When there is contact and carbon is shed there is normally nothing that can be done. When a chunk of carbon is dangling about to fly off when the cars are so close behind just after the start I think it's better to err on the side of caution.
    I only saw the C4 highlights but who was it that hit the wall and drove back to pits with their rear wing hanging off??? It's incidents like these that allow 'standard practice' to be pushed and pushed and enable sets of circumstances to lead to very bad accidents happening! I am thinking Jules Bianchi and waved yellows just being interpreted as lift off for a moment not 'be prepared to stop'!
    It's always a balancing act to have good racing and safe racing.

13. Number 1 Jasper

I don't know , but I agree carbon fibre is light compared to metal . Super light ? Honestly don't know the difference .

However anything hitting Hamions car , then hitting and breaking off his wing mirror was surely heavy enough to do him some serious damage if it had hit his body ?

14. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I wonder how the damage happened to LeClerc’s mirror. It was suggested that it was caused by a vibration but since it was on the same side of the car I wonder if the end plate caught and damaged that as well.

15. ched999uk

I noticed it soon after the impact with Max. It looked like the lower support from mirror to sidepod was missing and a few threads of carbon/kevlar could be still be seen. So I suspect it was due to the impact.

16. Number 1 Jasper

I would be surprised if vibration from a flat tyre etc could cause it to fly off . Has anyone seen any footage of his wing mirror just after the bit of the wing fell off ?

Mind you . They are Italian cars …….

17. Number 1 Jasper

FFS will you please STOP posting before me :steam::tongue:

ched999uk likes this.
  18. ched999uk

Seems like Force India aka SportPesa Racing Point have lodged a complaint against Renault!!!! The report that was submitted was 12 pages!!!! They seem to be saying that Renault have some sort of auto brake bias system based on their position on the lap, FIA have impounded Renault's steering wheels, ecu, and data!!!!
    Interesting if they do have an auto brake bias adjuster but more interesting is how Racing Point found out and managed to write a 12 page report.
    I would guess they have known for a while and just waited for an opportunity to present the report when it would give them most points!!

19. Big Ern

It's half the weight of aluminium.

20. Number 1 Jasper

Yes .

12 pages of info seems more than a Guess to me .

ched999uk likes this.