1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

JFH

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by sheffordqpr, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Ranger Dave

Ranger Dave New Member

Morning guys, I'm new to the site but have read comments regularly over the past few years.
    I watched the game on Saturday and was as frustrated as many both at the stadium and those at the ground. In my view we have no leader on the pitch. Watching the game, Parker controlled the Foolham players from start to when he was subbed. We have no leader, someone to take it by the scruff of the neck and lead by example. In the first 10 mins he put a heavy tackle in on one of our forwards I can't remember who and regardless of the outcome, it gave the rest of his team a direction, lifts other players and drives them on. Lat year Barton was the best leader on the pitch, before that Derry, we do not have anyone in this role. I did not see any such tackles, commitment by our players. JFH did get the formation wrong and that happens, but to then not change the formation / tactics at throughout the game is poor. I have supported the club for since I was 5, over 45 years now and have never been more disillusioned. But as fans our frustration is just that, no matter how much we scream and shout it will not change a managers tactics or players. JFH has been here only a few months, inherited a squad that he had to work with, only had limited money to spend and whilst I do not think he is the best person for the job he is our Manager and we need to get behind them. I hope things will change, but realistcally we will not get either promoted or relegated, so to some extent this is his pre-season. In May it would be hoped that he knows what players to keep, who he wants to bring in and then around Christmas we will have a fairer view of him as a manager.
    Just thought I would have my grumble and make a few points which I am sure some will disagree with but thats life.

surreyhoop, QPR999, Hoop-Leif and 3 others like this.
  2. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

It does though. If they had set up with an open 4-4-2 as well, they wouldn't have had the space and time that you refer to. The thing is, not many coaches are clueless enough to set up like that..................except the ones we seem to hire.

3. Fourtyyearsofhurt(mostly)

We are on the same hymn sheet but my point is then as soon as he/we saw this happening he should have changed it......there was an apathy in the team. I played at semi pro level and all of us would have sorted it or at least stuck one on McCormack and the playmakers. To me we still havent the right sort.

Clint watching from the sidelines must have been embarrassed as they were playing with us for majority of the game........pathetic.

I sometimes wonder if we attract footballers (lol) and not hungry, competitive sportsman!.....Different times but can you imagine Webby, Mlintock, Hollins, McDonald standing about 3 yards off them?!!! If it happened once..it was sorted and I m not talking about kicking them up in the air just physical presence. .

4. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

You're right. We're in total agreement.

5. GoldhawkRoad

GoldhawkRoad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the site, Dave. I agree with you about a leader on the pitch and Parker did a fine job. Barton had leadership qualities, but he was a double edged sword and I feel we can do better than that.

We have to live with JFH as you say. He'll have the summer to put get the squad as he wants it, and his big test will start next August. If he fails then, I doubt he'll last until Christmas. He's no idiot judging by his interviews. We just have to hope he slowly gets it right on and off the pitch.

6. TWGWTDT

TWGWTDT Well-Known Member

Well I am getting calmer by the hour now and we move onto the next match
    I apologise for my rants but Saturday will be remembered by me and has shattered my belief of our club coupled with the recent meeting with them my confidence has slumped to a record low for me. The club is downsizing IMO and this is a exit strategy by the management IMO … really feel deflated like a lot of our fans at the moment and I thought I could cope with it as I have been harping o a lot of bollocks on here about stuff. It's as if the club is about to enter a coma

7. LondonCalling

LondonCalling Active Member

No awkwardness here. Perhaps I should have been more exact in my original post as I was specifically talking about the central midfield, and with you stating "Fulham had 5/6 in midfield", I assumed you were being awkward, haha.

rangercol likes this.
  8. loomo

loomo Active Member

The main thing I noticed was not that 4-4-2 was wrong, but they didnt play the system correctly. the gaps between the back 4 and midfield and then the strikers was too big. Back four were way too deep which left the midfield even more exposed when they tried to support the front 2. Also Nedums defending for the first 2 goals was schoolboy like

9. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

Yep welcome dave, exactly what i thought about tackling, they did we didn't only powder puff stuff, disillusioned totally agree & never have felt this way against my team & aborted 2 matches at home as couldn't be bothered at time & a s/t ticket holder & have never felt like that, last few years have been a nightmare apart from wembley play off, be glad when this season is over & hopefully start with a fresh new looking team.

10. Peter Damage

Peter Damage Well-Known Member

Do you realise how that sounds? Your saying he uses strength and pace to disguise his defensive faults?! Can you define what you mean by ‘disguise’

Sounds to me like you are criticising him for using his speed and strength to get to the ball and defend. Well surely that’s a positive? Are they not legitimate attributes to praise a defender for?

You could reverse that statement and say “Clint Hill uses positional sense and experience which he usings to disguise his defensive faults such as a lack of pace…so that makes him a terrible defender?!!”

There is a lot of prejudice against Onouha. At this level he is a very good centre back. His main negative is that because of his speed he is often asked to play at full back where he struggles with the offensive side that role requires

You’ve made your mind up about Onouha and then perceive whatever suits your own prejudice about him. Same goes for Jimbo RE Faurlin. Despite all evidence you’ve made your mind up and will spin it to suit your wared sense of persepctive.

Its irrelevant, if the tactics are so wrong with hoof ball to strikers who cant hold the ball up

11. loomo

loomo Active Member

I feel the same about Nedum im afraid. Its his positional sense that lets him down and then relies on his pace to get himself out of trouble. This was glaringly obvious for the second goal on Saturday.

12. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

That was because ...as said in Antiis match report....he had the forwards BFG, Mackie and Hoillett pushing on the goalie and the back 4...leaving a huge gap between them and Luongo and Toszer (I am assuming Phillips was completely somewhere else at the time).

Fulham spotted the gap and utilised it before we did anything

13. Stan Dupp

Stan Dupp Well-Known Member

I think what Norway says about Onouha is spot on. he is strong and quick but has no positional sense, even less at right back. Also he should be imprisoned for his 1st touch it's so poor. Plus he spends more time moaning at the ref than he does encouraging his teammates.Being a pro, high level, footballer is more than just about upper body strength and being quick (Mackie being exhibit B).

14. loomo

loomo Active Member

I didnt read the report Beth, however, JFH has said he likes to play a high pressing game but that cant work if your back four are too deep. Rathere than changing formation he could have just pushed them up which would have cut the space down.

15. sheffordqpr

sheffordqpr Well-Known Member

We can all come up with any number of reasons why we got it so wrong on Saturday.................again, but the general opinion appears to boil down to 2 things:
    a) Our players lack pride and determination
    b) Our management is lacking in huge areas

I think issue a) Is because we have been chucking money around for some time, there is still a hangover from that. Players that arrived on the gravy train and some recent signings who may have believed that we were foolish enough to continue to do so signed for that very reason. There is not ONE player that gives as much as people like Alan McDonald, Terry Fenwick, Stan or McLintock to name some of our talismen from the past. To bring that up to date somewhat, Leicester have Mahrez, Okazaki, Vardy, Drinkwater etc etc. No better talent in general than our team on Saturday, but they give 1000% more than the wastes of space currently disgracing Loftus Road. We are lesser than the sum of our parts while our visitors AND many others are greater than theirs.

No fight and more importantly, no pride in any one of them!!! Tossers one and all IMO. SHOW SOME HEART!!!

Issue b) Is purely an simply because we have a board that know **** all about football and JFH is worse than Hughes. Great player, **** manager at this level.

Am I pissed off? You bet your arse I am.

Rant (possibly) over.

UTRs likes this.
  16. QPAAAAAGH

QPAAAAAGH Well-Known Member

My biggest worry is that JFH seems very enamoured by the long ball game. The only exception to route 1 since Jimmy arrived has been when Ale Faurlin has taken control of things but I suspect that's more about his outstanding ability then the managers tactics. While this may work with the right kind of players in the lower leagues it is easily snuffed out by teams most teams in the Championship and, in any event, we simply don't have those type of players. Mackie charging at the keeper or Polter jumping at players rather than the ball was the extent of our attacking threat resulting from the long ball game on Saturday.

17. qpherts

qpherts Well-Known Member

At least JFH can't say he got his tactics wrong cos there weren't any!!

18. Peter Damage

Peter Damage Well-Known Member

Your looking at this the wrong way round.

Explain why being strong and quick aren't positive attributes to have?

How can you discount those attributes?

What no one has been able to explain is when Norway said he disguises positional deficiencies with his speed and strength. Other than choosing to use the word "disguise". Why is it a negative for him to have pace and power to save situations?

Remember of course pace and power comes in handy when covering other mistakes and allows us to play higher up than you could otherwise with cart-horses like Konchesky and Hall or even Hill at the back

Pace and power are very much a massive part of the modern day footballer. Despite your decision to ignore it, actually It's part of what makes up a footballer.

You could have the best positional sense in the world but if your weak and slow you ain't going to be a footballer.

Nedum Onouha has played his whole career before now at Prem level with one exception a promotion season from this league as a key part of the best defence in the league. He's experienced and intelligenty so its plain wrong to say he doesnt have positional sense.

If he didn't get playeD out of position so often and was white and had a more English name like Grant Hall he wouldn't get anywhere near such unfair an unbalanced assessments.

I guess Hall is more easy to relate to than a black guy from Manchester with an unusual name.

Hall has come in for so much over-exagerated praise this year vs Onouha in their stats:

Tackles per match: Hall 0.7 Onouha 1.9
    Interceptions per match: Hall 3.4 Onouha 3
    Clearances per match: Hall 5.9 Onouha 5.9
    Blocks per match: Hall 0.5 Onouha 0.9

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/11669/Show/Nedum-Onuoha

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/70513/Show/Grant-Hall

When you see that its hard to think that the sub-conscious isnt involved in skewing reality.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
    QPR Oslo likes this.
  19. QPR Oslo

QPR Oslo Well-Known Member

Ned was in the right position but let Dembele go for their 2nd goal as the ball was played in. Looked more of a lapse of concentration to me, and that with his passing are his main weaknesses imo. His strength, speed and positional sense are his strengths. And though I don't like it we need him as Captain to be bending the Refs ear - our opponents are.

20. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

4-4-2 does work if the team is well-drilled and the players are working as a unit. Leicester are a perfect example of how to play that system, if you watched them yesterday you will have seen that the two banks of four they played were narrow in defending yet they broke with tremendous pace and used width through Mahrez and Albrighton. Vardy and Okazaki often tracked back to cover as well. The system means you can't carry passengers, all ten outfield players have to work that much harder but it suits their style, it most certainly doesn't suit ours...