1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Jiu jitsu

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Teessidemackem, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Does anybody else on here train in it? I got myself to a decent standard but bringing twin boys up limited how much i could keep it up and i eventually stopped.
    Ive just started a new class in Darlington where i now live next week. Ive got stuck in abit of a rut the last year or 2 and im even neglecting the gym now aswell. Monday is the start of a fresh new start for me. Healthy body=healthy mind.

Who else trains in a martial art on here?

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  2. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

I used to do karatè, D, many years ago, and I only stopped when a mate moved away . . . . as far as I'm concerned, you need someone to go with, but it's very good for the body and the mind.

If I had someone to go with I would do it all again :emoticon-0105-wink:

3. Teessidemackem

Yes mate. Im thinking more the mind. Im getting far too angry and aggressive and im only 41. Im beginning to worry myself

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I did want to try it once but I'm not Jewish.

I've got a heavy bag at home that I leather when I get pissed off enough for it, by the time I'm throwing punches so weak that I wouldn't bruise a peach I've forgotten what it was I was angry about.

Teessidemackem likes this.
  5. Teessidemackem

Screenshot_20190814-205353_Facebook.jpg
    I have this in my garage. It relieves abit of stress for me but not enough

6. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

I used to kick box to a decent standard but my teacher hit poorly and haven’t been able to find another one who will push me like she did.

Taken up distance running now and love it so any sports which will injure me has gone. Joined a running club and looking to get my times fir half marathon down to under 1h 40!!

7. makemdan

makemdan Well-Known Member

Used to train in Lau Kung Fu when I was in early 20s. 48 years later I stick to gym running squash and swimming. Especially swimming 2 - 4 miles a week, front crawl, hard - after 200 yards or so it's like meditation and problems seem to be not problems any more. Lau was great, sifu from Kowloon called Bob Lee who was about 5 1/2 foot and 9stone but he could hit like tank. Gave it up when they just passed everyone for the sashes regardless of how good they were. It was basically a moneymaking excercise.
    Think I'm a bit too old for martial arts now unless there's one that caters for owld codgers

8. Teessidemackem

Well done to you mate :emoticon-0148-yes:

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, the main reason I lift is to relieve stress and to feel a bit better about myself but it's not great at stress relief. Something that knackers me out like the punch bag is better, so is my pull up and dips tower which is harder work than dumbbells as it's body weight.

Get great results from it too, muscles start popping out that you've never seen before.

10. Teessidemackem

Ive always been shyte at pull ups mate lol. One of the best exercises you can do though apparently.
    Well done for doing them. Whats your height/weight if you dont mind me asking?

11. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

I'm a black belt in the oldest form of self-defense in the world - legging it at the first sign of trouble!

12. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Just under 6 foot and just under 13 stone. Yeah when I got the pull up tower a year or so ago I hadn't done one in my life or a dip so it was slow going at first haha, I could only do four reps or so but now I can do much more.

I'd say it's the most satisfying exercise to do if you want to let off some steam, beats any weights work for me. Especially if you just do dips say and only wait a minute or two between sets, hard work but it feels good after.

13. Teessidemackem

Im 5 foot 8 and 13 stone mate. I used to think being big was the be be all and end all. Im now gona concentrate in being lean, and getting a more athletic look.
    It depresses me how much strengh i lose when i lose weight though. Id love a big arm/big chest and narrow waist look but i can never pull it off.

14. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I've seen a few pics of you that you've posted and you're pulling it off better than you realise, I think it's a common issue in the weightlifting community that you're never satisfied. I know it's a problem that I have but it pushes me on to do more so it's not the worst problem.

I would recommend a pull up tower, doesn't take up much space maybe a metre and a bit squared and it doesn't half work your arms and chest.

15. Teessidemackem

View attachment 125726 View attachment 125726 this is me as we speak mate. Bot neen to the gym in ages

16. Teessidemackem

17. Teessidemackem

S
    I dont care now mate. Ill do abit of training here and there but im gona focus on Mma now. Itll do my temper a world of good before i ruin my life

18. Teessidemackem

Not been to the gym in ages so im not doing bad

19. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Zanshin Karate mate taught by HMAF never stopped went to classes in Philadelphia when i came out to keep fit, carried on in Amsterdam and now do it in Elsdorf near to Kolon

farnboromackem likes this.
  20. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

I done it for a while many years ago.. The best Marshall Art in my opinion..