1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Joe Gomez

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by LuisDiazgamechanger, Aug 30, 2018.

1. LuisDiazgamechanger

Joe Gomez interview in full: 'I'd love to stay here for the rest of my career'

Moments after putting pen to paper on a new long-term deal with the club, Joe Gomez sat down with Liverpoolfc.com at Melwood to explain why the decision to commit his future to the Reds wasn't one that required much thought.

The 21-year-old - who is likely to be out of action until the New Year after sustaining a lower-leg fracture against Burnley last week - inked the fresh terms at the club's training ground, much to the delight of supporters - and indeed, Jürgen Klopp.

Gomez, too, was equally as thrilled to have signed the contract as he outlined why he's relishing every second of being a Liverpool player and what the backing of the club's fans - including their new song for the No.12 - means to him.

Read on for a full transcript of the interview, or click play on the embedded video below to watch. Need a subscription? Sign up here.

Play video content
    please log in to view this image

Joe, congratulations on signing a new long-term contract with the club. What does it mean to you?

Thank you. It means the world to me. I’ve been at the club a few years now and had the pleasure to play for Liverpool and experience what that means. I am delighted to get the chance to extend my contract here. I love the club, I love playing and learning here, and I am happy for that to continue.

What makes Liverpool the right club for you?

Everything about it; the whole support of the club, the passion, the ambition we have and the history as well. It is a massive club, I think everyone knows that, and you get a real sense of that when you’re here around the building, the people and in the city. It is a place I’ve loved and, in a way, I’ve grown into a man here. I came here when I was 18 and I have learned so much. Through the highs and lows, I have loved every minute here. It’s somewhere I want to be, hopefully for the rest of my career – I would love to be at this club the whole time.

How do you look back on your time here so far?

There have been a lot of highs and lows. It’s my fourth season now and every one has been different. Obviously I would like to have had a few less setbacks along the way, but it has all been part of my journey – one that I have loved and embraced. I have learned so much. There have been good times on the pitch as well. Hopefully that can continue. I am learning under a great manager and great coaching staff and have all the tools around me to keep progressing and learning. I am looking forward to it.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/329502-joe-gomez-interview-new-contract

2. jaffaklopp

jaffaklopp Well-Known Member

Good to secure him. Probably the best prospect at the club currently, easily our 2nd best centre back

luvgonzo likes this.
  3. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Not sure you can call someone a prospect once they're established can you?

4. johnsonsbaby

johnsonsbaby Well-Known Member

I think you probably can. It's a bit like saying someone has potential, they're both future related.

5. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I'd say a prospect is someone that looks like they could become good enough.

Potential means they can get better.

Gomez is already top quality but as the potential to be world class.

THE FOOL likes this.
  6. moreinjuredthanowen

prospecting is a speculative business

building on potential is more of a probable thing. it's the unforeseen that stops it

?

7. LuisDiazgamechanger

Since Joe Gomez has being playing with Virgil van Dijk in the heart of our defence we have been keeping clean sheets.He has taken the opportunities with both hands.

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  8. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Yep. He’s back. This last stint is very similar to the spell he had with VvD at the beginning of last season. Matip and Lovren won’t get a sniff of the first team if he continues like this <ok>

Bumps and terrifictraore like this.
  9. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

It’s not a coincidence that Lovren is out of the team and we start picking up clean sheets.

To be fair to Lovren, he had improved. However, there are fine margins and his positioning was often out of sync with the rest of the back line which led to the goals we conceded.

Being a defender is unforgiving since you can defend well for 89 mins and make one mistake and it costs us a goal.

Happy for Gomez - was worried he would struggle to get back last seasons form but he’s slotted in there again. I hope he never has to play right back again. Phenomenal young defender.

10. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

Been getting clean sheets since Fabinho got injured too...

saintKlopp likes this.

11. SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING

SIR_KENNY_KLOPP_KING Well-Known Member

Henderson effect! <whistle>

Zanjinho likes this.
  12. LuisDiazgamechanger

13. organic red

organic red Well-Known Member

14. LuisDiazgamechanger

15. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Gomez is a weird one. He seems to make lots of tiny little errors (positional mostly or mis-placed headed clearances) whilst Matip seemed more solid and comfortable at CB, but Gomez is very good at recovering from errors and his pace is huge with covering for Trent as he moves up. It just works. The more he plays, the more he'll learn and the better he'll become. We need to stick with Gomez

16. THE FOOL

THE FOOL Well-Known Member

Joe will turn into an exceptionally gifted cb, hes not there yet but you can see it coming through. If you consider hes only 22 and had big lay offs through injury his progress is astonishing.

CB takes intelligence and composure to play well, it's not like being a forward where as long as you can run fast you've got a shot. It's why top class cb are generally older, it takes time to develop the skills, joe is already well ahead of the curve.

Just incase it's not clear I'm a big gomez fan, I think hes got all the makings of being better than virgil if that's possible.

Sucky, Bumps, Zanjinho and 3 others like this.
  17. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

I 100% agree with this Fool

Bumps, THE FOOL and jaffaklopp like this.
  18. Jimmy Squarefoot

Jimmy Squarefoot Well-Known Member

I think Gomez has been brilliant since coming in. He will often rely on his recovery pace to bail him but even without it, he’s solid. Our back line is incredibly quick and excellent ball players and carriers. Another clean sheet ...

19. Klopp's Mannschaft

Klopp's Mannschaft Well-Known Member

Had another one of his 'moments' this evening with a messed up headed clearance, but again, he recovered and held up the attacker out wide until the defense was back in position. Those mistakes will fade over time. Will be a top player for us

Jimmy Squarefoot likes this.
  20. Zanjinho

Zanjinho Boom!
    Forum Moderator

He's excellent at passing or carrying out from the back too. 100% my pick to partner VVD

Jimmy Squarefoot and Bumps like this.
: Joe Gomez