1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Transfer Rumours Jordan Rhodes

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by DUNCAN DONUTS, May 2, 2019.

?

Renew or release?

1. Renew

81.0%
  2. Release

19.0%
  1. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

From all the comments I've read, SB wants him off the payroll at Hillsborough. By insisting on £7M, none of us can see us stumping up that sort of money, so it's a case of 'who blinks first' IMO.

Canary Spring likes this.
  2. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Without promotion, there would be no way we would pay 7m for him. Even with promotion, I think it's too much for us to spend on a back up striker.

Just sounds really strange that we would have agreed to that in the first place.

Canary Spring likes this.
  3. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

Many people regard Bruce as a NCFC legend, I personally don't agree after his antics to force through a move to Man. Ure.

He's certainly not showing any favours to NCFC what with this and his attempts to start a bidding war over Robbie Brady.

**** him I say, leave him lumbered with someone who he's desperate to get off the wage bill!!

4. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

If Sheff Weds are genuine about wanting him off the wage bill, they'll relax those idiotic demands (for a player another year older since those terms were supposedly 'agreed' and with virtually no sell-on value any longer.)
    No one else will be interested at that valuation so they'll either compromise to get him off their payroll or be lumbered with him until next year when hos contract is up and he can walk away à la Naismith.
    We'll get him for circa £3.5m or not at all.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  5. General Melchett

General Melchett Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. Rhodes has a pretty good record at championship level and his scoring rate for us will suggest to others that he still has life in him yet. Goal scorers don't come cheap and I could see him fetching £5-7 million. I think another factor is probably that with us, I think the loan feeetc is in theory part of that pricing? So they will not actually receive £7m, but the difference between the loan fee and £7m e.g. £4m. They might fancy they can screw someone else for that and more if we try and haggle too much.
    If Someone like Assombalonga is worth £15m with his injury record and not entirely stella scoring record then Rhodes in this footballing cash crazy world SWed might just get it. Or closer to it than we're offering when e.g. Leeds go looking for the goal scorer that will convert them from also ran to promoted.

Bah!

6. bedfordcanary

bedfordcanary Well-Known Member

I feel we need to go with our head, not our hearts, on this one. Rhodes was part of our incredible upturn and we love him for his anti-Ipswich jokes with the Snakepit etc, but we KNOW he isn't Premier League level. Even as back up, is he going to challenge Pukki, or even step up at that level if/when Pukki has a few games out? I'm not so sure?! If Rhodes is going to be 3rd choice, id say £2m max and ditch Srbeny.

Our 2nd choice simply has to be better. Someone who will not only be decent back up to Pukki, but actually challenge him for top spot.

SuffolkCanary likes this.
  7. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

I think Rhodes can do a good job in the PL. Our original plan was for Rhodes to start up front and Pukki to play behind him or as backup, but Pukki surprised us all. The situation for us has changed now and we are now looking to sign a backup at the end of his career. Rhodes is 29 and if we sign him on a 3 year contract, he'll have little career left after that. Even if he signed for Leeds, he'd be behind Roofe in the pecking order. SB has to face up to that.

canary-dave likes this.
  8. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

I see what your saying, but it sounds like a "right of first refusal" or a "buy now" price. If JR had been our first choice striker all season and we won the league, then the price doesn't look too bad. On the other hand, nobody expected us to get promotion so, yeah, £7mil sounds pretty high.

The General has an interesting take on it:

At a price of, say, £4-5mil, Webber would have have to think about it ie. is that the best use of our transfer funds?

9. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

DUNCAN DONUTS and RiverEndRick like this.
  10. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

11. RiverEndRick

The Wendies are weakening:

"The Sheffield Star understand Rhodes does not figure in the plans of Wednesday chief Steve Bruce, who will listen to offers for the Scottish international. Rhodes has one year left on his existing Hillsborough contract - according to transfermarkt.co.uk - but there have been no firm moves from Norwich City to bring the striker back to the Canaries. City sporting director Stuart Webber made it clear earlier this summer the Owls' valuation of the experienced striker and the total financial package made a return unlikely."

Perhaps now there's more flexibility a deal can be done.

JM Fan likes this.
  12. Walsh.i.am

Forum Moderator

One year left?
    £2m, maximum, or boogie off! <ok>

JM Fan and DUNCAN DONUTS like this.
  13. chinacanary

chinacanary Well-Known Member

I predict 1.75m with weird add ons.

14. RiverEndRick

I'm not sure I want to know about your 'weird add-ons' China. <laugh>

Add-ons might be the key to the deal though as our survival would be worth a lot of money. Even at £2m the deal would be worth twice that to them because of his wages.

15. DUNCAN DONUTS

DUNCAN DONUTS SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIOR

Looks like we are playing the waiting game with Wednesday.
    I believe he will sign before the season starts.

JM Fan likes this.
  16. Rich44

Rich44 Well-Known Member

Or you're not utilising him properly. If a player is under utilised on the pitch maybe part of that is the way the teams been setup & run I wouldn't necessarily blame the player outright.

RiverEndRick likes this.