1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose watch

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by The RDBD, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Need to get rid of 90% of Poch’s babies before we get another manager otherwise it’s a wasted exercise

2. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

We can get in a manager who will build a team around what we can do well - attack.

We can get in a manager who stops pulling stupid **** like last night's selections.

We can get in a manager who uses the squad properly and doesn't flog our best players into the ground defending for 70+ minutes.

We can get in a manager who makes timely, needed, tactical substitutions.

We can get in a manager who doesn't loan in players and never utilise them.

We can get a manager in who drops Eric Dire, who's been stinking the place out for some time.

We can get a manager in who acknowledges that we shouldn't have signed Joe Hart and stops selecting him.

I could go on....and on....and on.

Mourinho's done...and we need to get rid and then get on with trying to win some football matches.

Billy The Spur likes this.
  3. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

You ever been Tottenham mate? Fighting is part of our culture round here <laugh>.

gooner4ever likes this.
  4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

But them ****cunts at the back will still have brain farts that keep on costing us. We won’t be having the ball 100% with our next manager so they will still have a job to do and they don’t do it well enough often enough for us to get anywhere meaningful.

They need replacing or the next man has the same issues over a 38 game season.

5. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

Only if you assume that the manager is incapable of improving the players we already have which ought to be 90% of his job

6. "Thanks for that Brian"

"Thanks for that Brian" Well-Known Member

So, we keep Mourinho and his anti-football, whilst the people who thought that it was a good idea to recruit Doherty, Aurier, Sanchez, etc. try and sell the current lot and then recruit another bunch of defenders, that are infinitely better than the current rabble?

Hmmmmmm....let me think?

No.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  7. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

This was my criticism of the ubermensch in his previous jobs: he cannot work with what he's given and has to rebuild an entire team in his image from the ground up

It's really night and day with Poch, who built the core of the team with players he inherited and added to it, with some additional help from the funds brought in by shifting deadwood such as Paulinho, Adebayor and Holtby off the wage bill. Of course, Poch did get an advantage as the players he inherited did fit in with his philosophy (so it turns out that AVB did do something good after all) and the problems only started when he had to build his second team which was undone by a myriad of factors ranging from key components breaking down in too short a timespan, players getting tapped up, players sulking because nobody was tapping them up, and the process of integrating long-term replacements being woefully behind schedule

8. humanbeingincroydon

According to Alasdair Gold, the ubermensch is currently picking fights with
    Toby Alderweireld
    Dele Alli
    Serge Aurier
    Eric Dier
    Danny Rose
    Harry Winks

Remember the reports from the Sherwood era suggesting that Hugo told Levy "Either he goes, or I go"? How long before either Kane or Son are having that conversation?

remembercolinlee and gooner4ever like this.
  9. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'd side with Jose on all of those fights if it meant getting those players out the club to be fair. Though if Jose went with them too, I wouldn't be too arsed.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. humanbeingincroydon

Considering three of them are his first-choice defence, the fact he's now picking fights with them is not a good sign

A good sign would be to quietly rotate them out in favour of someone else, which certainly should have happened with Dier since he's up there with Aurier in terms of costly brainfarts and has both Rodon and Tanganga waiting in the wings to replace him, but when it's basically the entire back line that does make it clear why the communication between the lot of them has gone to **** in recent games

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

It depends on his motives or ideas behind picking fights with them I guess. If he's choosing to piss these guys off with the intention to drop them from the team for most matches then he has my full backing. Because as we've seen with Dele, players will eventually want out and I think we need that at Spurs, we've got too much dross that are too happy to stay here. If we can get players like Dier, Winks and co to show intentions to leave and have their agents tout their services elsewhere it's a good tactic for us as it'll help shifting them out as quickly as possible in the summer.

If he pisses them off and proceeds to continue selecting them in most games then it doesn't make much sense unless he's doing it to try and get himself sacked and paid off.

12. humanbeingincroydon

Except it clearly isn't working, as we're paying Danny Rose to sit on his backside for another six months, because spite is quite the motivator to not budge an inch - especially since the tide's certainly turning in the favour of the ever-growing list of players he's picking fights with

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Rose was likely going down this route regardless of Jose, I think his issue has been more with Levy. He's also at a stage in his career where he has nothing to play for. He won't join a better team than Spurs nor will he get back in the England squad. He's ****ed himself more than anyone else had, because another 5 months in the wilderness will further reduce the limited interest he had him in anyway.

Players like Dier and Winks will want game time to keep their national spots, Winks has already said as much. Dele will still get linked to top clubs and will want the move too, as we saw in January. Toby is still young enough to play for Belgium for a few more years and will need the game time to do so. Aurier will happily leave, I don't think he's ever truly been happy or settled here, he'd probably jump at the first decent opportunity to go.

14. humanbeingincroydon

So did routinely being publicly scapegoated lead to Luke Shaw looking to move elsewhere, or is he still at Man Utd?

Same can be said for his second stint at Chelsea, where at one moment in time he was picking fights with *deep breath* John Terry, Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Willian, Oscar and Nemanja Matic - and every single name on that list was still at Chelsea eighteen months after he'd been given the boot, so as tactics go it's proven to be as effective as playing Sissoko as a right back

15. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I'm not sure comparing players at other clubs is relevant to what we're dealing with, every player will likely be in a different situation and it's a case by case basis. If I remember rightly, Shaw was a real fatty for a spell under Jose whilst his form was also poor, so I'm not too surprised there was beef there, we've seen that with Ndombele and - with thanks to some Levy interference too - it's worked out well and now he and Jose seem to be on good terms. Jose even said today that Ndombele's now at a level of fitness in which Dele or Lo Celso can now play in the same team with him. As for the Chelsea players, I don't know the issues they had with Jose, nor do I care to be frank but most of them were pretty key under him, they all played a good amount and picked up a league title and one of the cups IIRC. Beef or no beef, they done well enough there.

As for us, we've already seen with Dele that he wants out, we know Winks has spoken out about a lack of game time and needing it to secure his England spot. Dier was apparently considering his future under Poch due to lack of game time. Aurier has never really been happy here. Toby would've likely left had Poch still been here. These players will go if they get given the cold shoulder and for that I'd back Jose. Ironically this is where Jose could take a leaf out of Poch's book in his early years with us because Poch gave a number of players the cold shoulder (Kaboul, Capoue, Ade etc) and eventually we managed to get rid of them. If Jose can do similar with the group we have now and have them counting down the seconds until the summer window, it'll work in our favour when trying to shift them. Too many are far too comfortable here and that needs changing.

16. humanbeingincroydon

Highlighting players he's fallen out with and/or frozen out who have outlasted him in previous jobs is certainly relevant to what we're dealing with, not least it proves that players won't be on the blower to their agent to get a move away just because he's freezing them out as they're happy to wait for him to be out the door. This is especially clear in regards to the Chelsea players, as those were all in the 2015-16 season - as was his scapegoating Eva Carneiro for dropping points, which worked out so well for him that he ended up in an employment tribunal

As to Poch putting the Kaboul Cabal in their backsides, there's one thing you're missing: Poch could and did prove to Kaboul, Capoue and Adebayor that Dier, Bentaleb and Kane were putting them in the shade and had the data to back that up, so he not only won the argument handily but strengthened his own position. That simply doesn't compare to now, for example there isn't a single one of our CBs who can actively prove we would be better if they started instead of someone else as our defence is equally bad no matter which combination of Toby, Dier, Sanchez, Rodon or Tanganga starts at CB, while at the other end of the pitch the ubermensch can't prove that freezing out Dele isn't hampering our attacking play as our attacking play is non existent without him on the pitch

It also has to be said that it's spectacularly brainless of him to be falling out with two of the few HG players we have, since there's simply no way that Levy would sanction them leaving this season entirely because of our crap HG balance and anyone with a crumb of common sense would realise that, yet he went and picked fights with Dele and Winks anyway. It's similar to his second stint at Chelsea, where he froze out John Terry, which any of us could have told him was only ever going to backfire as he not only had Uncle Roman's ear but the fans would not tolerate him dropping their racist, adulterous God

The issue isn't that players are too comfortable, it's quite the opposite: if they were comfortable, they wouldn't be getting into fights at half time. If they were royally ****ed off, on the other hand, they absolutely would - and are

17. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

18. humanbeingincroydon

Managing Chelsea is easy

...on Football Manager, as you're playing with the cheat codes activated

19. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Ive played champ man/football manager since 1997 (showing my age) but even on that I’d never manage them :emoticon-0132-envy:

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Diego likes this.