1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jose's Anniversary

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Dier Hard, Nov 17, 2020.

?

How's Jose done in your opinion?

1. Excellent, better than expected.

2. Doing well but could do a little better.

3. Poor, needs to improve big time.

4. Absolute turd.

5. SACK HIM NOW AND GET ALAN PARDEW IN!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

In a few days it'll mark Jose being gaffer at the club for exactly a year. Crazy how quickly that time has gone.

Done a poll, but can leave a post if you like to give more insight.

For me I think he's done well. Some minor things that piss me off from time to time but in general I think we're stronger than when he took over and we have a more rounded squad too, albeit still lacking in some areas.

Style of football has been mixed, some periods of play brilliant, some periods left thinking "the **** was that?!" so I'd like to see us a bit more consistent in games by keeping up our impressive attacking play for more than just one half of a game.

I've been generally happy with his management of players and personnel too. A lot of under-performers or dross are rightfully being dropped and I like the way he attacks the transfer market more so than how Poch used too. Appreciates that Option A may not always be feasible but knows that Option B or C is still an improvement.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

Because that's what everyone says about 2020, this year has just flown by...

remembercolinlee likes this.
  3. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

I voted for option 1

Think Jose has shown us already why he is Elite level with the way he has shuffled the squad. He’s hungry and focused and it’s working because we as a club are the same...we are hungry too.His winning mentality can guide us to the promised land.

I can see what he’s trying to do and my biggest concern was if the players will give that to him because I believe he is one of the most celebrated manager’s in world football, for a reason.

little things Ive seen him..when I have I’m like...that’s why he’s a winner. Example...in the Amazon doc he pointed out the lack of fire in Eriksen...forget his positives but that key ingredient when lacking will show you up if you aspire for the very top of the game. Dele for all his potential etc etc...I said it years ago when he started getting distracted that it’s his off field life. Jose called it within months and rooted it out and we all see where Dele’s football is today. With Poch the Dele’s and Eriksen’s were the best he ever had and he over pampered them. Jose has managed world class winners all his career, managed the biggest teams in the world so no ego is getting the better of him..he has seen the best...he knows a winner when he sees one...the rest are of no use.

We need to stick with him, Levy needs to keep on doing his bit and we are going to to get there with this man.

In game scrutiny at times has seemed warranted but on the whole I enjoy watching how Jose manages our games. His subs seem to have a purpose and he doesn’t mess about. In general he seems like the manager that seems to call a lot of what us the fans see...that’s not a bad thing because we have been watching us forever and he just got here a year ago

been a good first year for Jose...hope he gets a contract extension

Spurf and Dier Hard like this.
  4. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Agree with a lot of that although there are times where I would question why he’s made certain changes or decisions that haven’t panned out whilst some of our style of play along with results haven’t been good enough and that’s why I’d not yet put him down as brilliant as there’s improvements needed in my opinion.

In the Amazon doc Jose seemed to really like Dele despite calling out his laziness whilst both he and Levy apparently tried many times to get Eriksen to stay and I think the lack of fire reference was more down to Eriksen’s head not being in it any more, more so than footballing ability. Dele unfortunately hasn’t risen to the challenge whereas Eriksen joined Inter, I think Jose would’ve loved the Eriksen of his first 5 or so years at Spurs though, he was a model professional and didn’t have a stinking ego which is something Jose likes, whilst we all know how good his ability was too.

I think a new contract could definitely be on the agenda if he does well this season. Though I guess it’s up for debate as to what doing well would come under too as some will have different expectations of him and the team. I don’t think it’s expecting too much though to want top four plus a trophy (I’d obviously settle for one or the other though). Ultimately that’s what he’s been brought in for I think and he’s being paid a small fortune to eventually achieve it.

5. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

He's done a decent job of steadying a very rocky ship and pointing us in the right direction, but I feel that he's still got a lot to do.
    Plenty of it's not his fault, as he inherited an unbalanced squad that was nosediving down the table.
    He still makes quite a few odd decisions with lineups and subs, though.

The media circus that follows him is a mixed blessing, at best, but I think that's also part and parcel of where we are as a club now.
    He can generally handle it well, but I didn't appreciate his actions following the Antwerp game and I hope that's an isolated incident.
    Rehabilitating Alli in the same way that he has Ndombele would be a big bonus and we need to be able to depend on squad players.

6. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

I voted for option 1 and would give him 8 out of 10.
    My only issues are that he is too quick to make substitutes and we don't have a settled system. Agree with @PleaseNotPoll about getting Dele back. A 10% improvement in how he has played would mean we had another excellent player. Still has more potential than 90% of the squad and would hate to see that helping a rival.

Spurf and PleaseNotPoll like this.
  7. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Jose has already taken Spurs to another level by his presence. The pundits and the media in general are attracted to him because he always provides a story. They set him up to fail with us. 'He was out of touch, his methods were out of date, he has lost his winning agility' All that is bullshit and already I think he has proved them to be so. Jose is a highly intelligent guy who has built his success on that basis. He has a great understanding of humans and what motivates them and he has the charm to get them to play for him. When that has gone wrong at Chelsea and United it has been because of individual players not conforming to his guidance. I think in both case he probably did not get the backing of the Clubs to get rid of these personalities and therefore could not control the damage. So far Levy has fully supported Jose and as long as that support remains Spurs will benefit. The transfer window tells you a lot about how he approaches team problems. His team selection tells you a great deal of how he wants to play the game or should I say, how he wants always to win the game.
    Pochettino was excellent but in the end his achievements exceeded his experience. He will be better equipped in his next management role because like Jose, Mauricio is also a very bright guy and will have learnt a great deal from his years at Spurs especially about the league runs and CL run to the final.
    The move from Pochettino to Jose was IMO perfect. Pochettino had created a close family feeling within the team that Jose was able to tap into straight away. Add to that the pulling power of the Mourinho name with players and I think you have the formula for Spurs to reach the highest levels and really challenge for number 1.

8. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

The biggest thing to count against him is that the two things that people come to expect from the ubermensch's teams is defensive stability and a bloodyminded will to win, but so far our defence continues to be shaky which is potentially fatal in a team set up to counter (which is why I keep bleating about needing to sign a top class DM, which will see the team fall into place) while the bloodymindedness comes and goes where some games we do gut out a win (Burnley, West Brom) while in others we either seemingly win by accident (Brighton, Plovdiv) or conspire to do the opposite of winning (West Scam, Newcastle)

The one thing that does concern me, though, is how the team continues to either/or our tactical setup, because the plan is for the wingers to press high up the pitch and force opponents inside into a low block - but there's been numerous games this season where this isn't being followed, with the West Scam game the most obvious case, and considering those tactics have been in place since last season's restart it is getting to the point where we have to be concerned that Lamela and (to a lesser degree) Lucas are the only players who consistently follow this tactical plan

9. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not sure that the others have been fit enough to do it, to be fair.
    Bale and Bergwijn have looked miles from 100% this season, understandably in the case of the Welshman.
    The Netherlands sent Bergwijn back to us due to an injury of the recovery from one and he also looks a bit hefty.

I'd also argue that Son presses pretty consistently, but sometimes fails to track back.
    He started the season brilliantly, but his last couple of games haven't been up to standard, possibly due to overuse.
    Subbing him on against Ludogorets, Antwerp and LASK was probably excessive.

10. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

This will do me for now .......

11. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

From someone who was against the sacking of Pochettino and very anti Maureen...

1. Was very unimpressed from xmas to lockdown.

2. Thought he threw away the fa cup game v Norwich by playing Vorm...was really irritated by that as it was his first start in over 18 months and his mistake cost us the game.

3. Thought that we were pretty drab to watch for the first few games after lockdown.

4. Think he did well to get us into the EL.

5. His summer signings were good.

6. He has got N'dombele playing well.

7. He is more attacking than I thought he'd be.

8. He dealt with Rose.

9. He aint pandering to out of form players like Dele.

I'd give him 7 and a half out of 10

Edit
    Thinking about ...

10. I really like his open contempt for officials who give out **** decisions to us.

11. I love his public pointing out that Stirling was too injured for England but available tomorrow night...good way to show the hypocrisy of Southgate.

12. He made lampard look a twat in the Caribou Cup

So it's a 8/10 from me

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  12. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Really clutching there fella, what game would you like Sterling to be fit for after two weeks rest and physio for a knock?

13. remembercolinlee

Couldnt give a **** tbh...just think its bollocks that he ain't fit for England on Wednesday but is for City on Saturday.
    Just an opinion

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  14. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

<laugh>
    Happens at club level all the time mate, how often do you hear a manager Wednesday might be a bit too soon but he should be ok for weekend?
    A player has to get fit at some point <doh>

15. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Too soon to judge with the start/stops because of COVID-19

Let’s see at the end of the season. In many ways this feels like his first season with the club.

The only guarantee is that it will go badly wrong at some point (Chelsea, Man Utd) but he might be able to win a league cup before it does

16. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

17. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

18. remembercolinlee

Tomorrow is fine <ok>

Diego likes this.
  19. remembercolinlee

You gone and done it now...the wrath of @Diego will be bestowed up you furious vengeance as he says
    "HE MUST BE FIT AT SOME POINT"
    :bandit:

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  20. PowerSpurs

PowerSpurs Well-Known Member

How many times has Sterling played for England after missing the previous City match through injury? Should be equally likely on your logic